• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired D36 LED Drop - In modules - Red & Green DD available (For Surefire, Pila, Wolf Eyes)

Peewee

Newly Enlightened
Re: D36 LED Drop - In modules - Red & Green DD available (For Surefire, Pila, Wolf Ey

Now I am always glad to build one but I hate sending a product I am not sure will work.

Dave

TARTAR SAUCE!
Well ok. If it does work out great! If not, can i return it for a refund? Or is that it? The module has been made to my spec and i need to keep it? Please advise...
If the latter, Do you or anyone else have other suggestions?

Thanks,
-PW

jso902

Enlightened
Re: D36 LED Drop - In modules - Red & Green DD available (For Surefire, Pila, Wolf Ey

Dave, I just wanted to say thanks for the wonderful light. I'm using it in a leef c-m and it's one of my favorite lights.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks like a sweet option to upgrade an M3! I'm keeping an eye on this as I have a deal in the works right now for an M3. I have one of Dave's 6V D26 modules and it's a blaster!

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast

Okay, I've been hammering Dave via PM asking all kinds of questions, and he's beyond patient and gracious to address all my concerns. Trying to wrap my head around what an LED can and can't do and adjusting my expectations accordingly.

Given my requirements, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the Nichia module...

http://www.customlites.com/D36-modules-Nichia-4500k-92Cri-D36-Nich-1L.htm

What I'm looking for:

- Decent output: Doesn't have to be the brightest. I want a good balance of being able to use it indoors, outdoors, inside a car. Some utility usage coupled with the ability to use it in a defensive capability if necessary.
- Tint: I don't want a searing blue/green LED, I already have a bunch of other LED's that do that. I'd like to get closer to a bright white beam.
- Runtime: Decent runtime, at least an hour.

What do you guys think? Are my expectations realistic?

.... okay, I pulled the trigger and placed the order! :) Will report when she comes in!

Last edited:

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got 'er on Saturday. WOW! That's fast shipping! Ordered Wednesday afternoon, in my hands Saturday afternoon.

- The Nichia tint and beam is exactly what I wanted. I wanted a bright white beam, like an old school incan on fresh batteries. It's a nice creamy beam with a clean hotspot. No trace of blue or green, just a tiny step in the warm direction from perfectly neutral. I went with orange peel finish, there's no artifacts, no rings, nothing. Great inside the house, and can keep up with any light to about 100 feet or so outside at night. In terms of runtime and output, I wanted this light to still operate within parameters of it's original design and be capable at close-to-medium range and not just turn it into an LED throwmonster.

A note on installation (I'll see if I can snap some pics later): I got lucky and my bezel ring unscrewed pretty easily. My M3 has the old school finned M2-style bezel. I used a pair of c-clip pliers to get it out. I first installed the unit exactly like the instructions at the top of this thread, but the foam ring did not want to sit on top of the reflector. I'd have it all done, carefully pressing the foam around the top of the reflector, screwed the ring back on, and after some handling and use, the foam would pop out of the channel and get in front of the reflector. After doing this a few times and after some careful analysis, I placed the foam ring in FIRST, then slid the module down on top of it, then the plastic ring (which has a little lip that holds the top of the reflector), THEN the rubber o-ring, then the lens and bezel ring. It sits beautifully, doesn't move around and looks great. The only downside is slightly less pressure on the battery stack since the unit is further away in the bezel. To address this, I put two small magnets in between the batts (using primaries right now) and it's rock solid.

Open to suggestions for Li-Ion(s) to power it. This unit has the wide-voltage range, which I like just for the flexibility of being able to run primaries in a pinch. I realize a narrower range and a specific power source are more efficient, but I don't want the light to be useless (and potentially fry it) without a spacer.

I think I'm still at this stage...
...Just takes awhile to wrap your head around leds versus why Surefire made the multiple celled versions...

A big thanks to Dave for all his patience and help and insight!

Last edited:

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast

... follow up note on the installation. I didn't want to rely on magnets to ensure connectivity with primaries, so I tinkered with the fit in the head. After some PM's with Dave, the stock foam in my head may be a bit too wide, despite repeated attempts at reassembly, it still popped off the lip of the reflector. I could tell when I tighted the head, the foam would start to buckle. I searched for replacement material and had an old Butler Creek scope cover that didn't fit anything I had. I cut two thin strips from the bottom lip of the scope cover, the same length as the shock foam and about half as wide and used those to locate the module, one under and one on top. Fits perfect, great connectivity, and I can still hang onto the stock foam in case I want to return the head to OEM configuration.

Johan

Newly Enlightened

Hi nailbender, i'm interested in getting my hands on a D36 XM-L2 for my WolfEyes M90 to be powered by 2x18650s. Has something changed between the SST-50 Module and the XM-L2 Module that would render incompatibility? i'd like to get that light working again, and would like to drop something in! please help!
-Peewee

I have this same flashlight, have had it for years, and am looking to upgrade it to LED. I have the 13v M90 with 3 x 18650. Of course I can take the "extender" off and make it a 2 x 18650. I am looking for at least 500+ lumens LED. I have used the lumens factory 700 lumens bulb in this and it worked great until I broke it! Now I am using stock 300 lumen lamp.

Peewee, did you try out one of the modules?

slimster

Newly Enlightened

Hello Mr. Nailbender. I was wondering if you could build me a great thrower for my new Seraph mini turbo head? I am interested in an XRE R2 with a smooth reflector. I am interested in something that will run well on one 18650, two 123 primaries, or two RCR 123/16340's. Is this possible? Thank you very much.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello Mr. Nailbender. I was wondering if you could build me a great thrower for my new Seraph mini turbo head? I am interested in an XRE R2 with a smooth reflector. I am interested in something that will run well on one 18650, two 123 primaries, or two RCR 123/16340's. Is this possible? Thank you very much.

Hi

I still have a few R2 XRE's, while they have the tightest beam angles they are a bit old tech but that is not a problem.

Now as to battery config, I can do a one level that will cover all those configs but do realize if you are going to be using 18650's or primaries mainly then I would stick to a 6 volt driver and forget about the 2Xli ion. Drivers that can be used with 2 or more li ions will not be as efficient at 4.2 volts just a fact of life with most leds running on 3 volts or less.

Your choice we can do a one level that will cover all three configs or a 6 volt max that has levels if needed.

Dave

slimster

Newly Enlightened

Hi

I still have a few R2 XRE's, while they have the tightest beam angles they are a bit old tech but that is not a problem.

Now as to battery config, I can do a one level that will cover all those configs but do realize if you are going to be using 18650's or primaries mainly then I would stick to a 6 volt driver and forget about the 2Xli ion. Drivers that can be used with 2 or more li ions will not be as efficient at 4.2 volts just a fact of life with most leds running on 3 volts or less.

Your choice we can do a one level that will cover all three configs or a 6 volt max that has levels if needed.

Dave

I guess I am old school, and a bit behind the times with the LED technology. I have just finished reading the entire thread, and I have learned a lot about their power requirements. I don't mind at all, though, as I greatly prefer the one to two cell hosts! An 18650 with two cr123 primaries as backup sounds like the best option to me, and will allow multi modes, correct? Since I am behind the times, what are your suggestions for a throw combination as far as emitters goes, and I will do a little research on my own, too. Thanks much!

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

I guess I am old school, and a bit behind the times with the LED technology. I have just finished reading the entire thread, and I have learned a lot about their power requirements. I don't mind at all, though, as I greatly prefer the one to two cell hosts! An 18650 with two cr123 primaries as backup sounds like the best option to me, and will allow multi modes, correct? Since I am behind the times, what are your suggestions for a throw combination as far as emitters goes, and I will do a little research on my own, too. Thanks much!

HI

Well if you want that pencil thin beam with very little spill then an XRE will fit that bill.

The XPE2 is what many use for throw with coolwhite being offered in R4, not quite as tight as a XRE but pretty close and newer tech.

If you want some spill along with decent throw then the XPG2 may do, this is what I use alot since it offers pretty good throw with adequate spill and is much brighter since they come in S3 flux for either coolwhite or neutral.

Dave

tnnss111

Newly Enlightened

Are you still selling these? I am interested in the MC-E in neutral white if you are.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
question to tnnss111's post of yesterday:

MC-E (full power from 1 Li-Ion cell) compared with
XM-L-2 (same)
--> what should be typical brightness and current use numbers in comparison?
:thinking:

... in case XM-L2 can be fittet into D36 insert and make sense

PS: if not too difficult ... also the comparison data for 2 * Li-Ion cell(s).
Thanks a lot

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are you still selling these? I am interested in the MC-E in neutral white if you are.

HI

Yes I still have a few of the neutral MCE's and am sure I can find a few boards for them.

Dave

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

question to tnnss111's post of yesterday:

MC-E (full power from 1 Li-Ion cell) compared with
XM-L-2 (same)
--> what should be typical brightness and current use numbers in comparison?
:thinking:

... in case XM-L2 can be fittet into D36 insert and make sense

PS: if not too difficult ... also the comparison data for 2 * Li-Ion cell(s).
Thanks a lot

Hi

I have no idea what the difference lumen wise is between the two probably 200 plus lumens maybe more and more throw for the XML2. MCE is old tech and a quad die so potential shadows on center of beam but does well for a flood requirement.

Not quite sure what you mean if the XML2 can fit they have been offered on our site link in my sig line since we opened a couple years ago.

Again I don't keep lumens at all but multi cells in 17mm modules will most always be less bright if true hi voltage drivers are used heat can't efficiently be exchanged on a 17mm drive much above 2.2 amps.

Dave

GusManB

Enlightened
Re: D36 Drop - In modules are finally here

Hi,

Do you offer the SST-90 for this D36 Dropins?
I am interested in one.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: D36 Drop - In modules are finally here

Hi,

Do you offer the SST-90 for this D36 Dropins?
I am interested in one.

Hi

I am sorry for the delay I did not see it at first then I had to look for the 90's. No we don't stock them anymore, you are the first to ask in years. I looked through the closet but all I could find was SST50's no 90'S. we have taken them off the site a while back.

Plenty of XML2 / XPLs and such

Dave

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast

HI

Yes as I have said 2XCR123 or best 1X17670 works great. There are other brands of 17670 that are about 1800 mah or about 20plus percent more than primaries.
Just takes awhile to wrap your head around leds versus why Surefire made the multiple celled versions, at that time only incans available and only way to make brighter was more voltage. Still can use primaries when needed but when applicable the li ion makes it nice.

Dave

I just got the Customlites lower voltage XML2 2.8-6v module. Trying it with a single 17670 and two different 2500mah 16650 and it's visibly not as bright as 2 CR123's. What am I missing? I understand there's a difference between voltage to the driver and current from the driver to the LED. Is there an even lower voltage driver I'm missing here? At what voltage does the driver drop out of regulation and stop producing the needed current to run the LED at full power?

Edit: Heard back from Dave. Answering customer email on a Sunday, now THAT'S customer service! Checking the connections and adjusting the length of my spacer. Seems to help. It does seem just a tiny bit brighter on 2 CR123's, but not as much as before.

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
D36 LED Drop - In modules - Red & Green DD available (For Surefire, Pila, Wol...

Hi nailbender,
Do you still have these drop ins and if yes which options?
I am planing to get one of the FM's hosts.

FORGET ABOUT MY QUESTION, JUST FOUND YOUR WEBSITE

Last edited: