• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

D40Cvn - Stubby Tank

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question - I think the answer is no - BUT - does the switch allow to turn on only one side at a time?
I think these type of lights could really benefit from that. I think the Fenix LD50 would be a great EDC light if you could turn on one led or the other. One could be dedomed for throw, with the other having a diffuser film for flood.

ScottJD

Newly Enlightened
Vinh, just received the D40cVN power boost with 4500K XM-L2 LED's in the mail today.
I'm charging my batteries now and waiting for nightfall before I fire up this one, but it looks great for my first Vinh light.
Thanks

357mag1

Enlightened
Vinh,

Any chance you would modify the D80A? I know there isn't much love on here for AA lights but I still find them very practical.

ScottJD

Newly Enlightened
Vinh,

Any chance you would modify the D80A? I know there isn't much love on here for AA lights but I still find them very practical.

Good question. I know the driver in my D40C has the lable of "D80A/D40A". The driver doesn't even say D40C on it. So since it's the same driver then the boost mod may be possable but the current boost will not be as big of an improvement if any using AA's due to the limitations of the amperage output compared to two high current 18650 batteries.

I noticed last night that when I running cells that put our 2.5A to 3A it would not activate turbo. Turbo and high were the same light output.

I think since the D40C with two 18650 is set up in series I'm assuming the D40A would also be in series so it's increasing the voltage with 4 AA but the current remains the same as the max output of the one single AA battery.
So I would also assume the D80A would be the max current of 2AA the way they are stacked in the battery compartment.
I think that's correct, but I always get a little confused between series and parallel current properties.

Now maybe using dumb cells and only a couple 14500 would see the current boost improvement. But the run time would be considerably less.

Modden

Newly Enlightened
Can you say me, how much Lux the boosted and dedomt variant have?

yarney05

Newly Enlightened
Do you think you could put one of your drivers in this light? I have a D80A that has the same head as this light and would love to have one of your drivers in it.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Do you think you could put one of your drivers in this light? I have a D80A that has the same head as this light and would love to have one of your drivers in it.

yes I think I can :) EMail for details