Dark Sucks: --wanted--feedback on new prototype head!

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
a P60 can make 650-750!? Color me impressed. I might have to kludge and McR18 reflector into one of my lights and see what it reads. I have a TIR XML that puts out around 625 I think.

Yes, but dont forget the P60 drop-ins I test are from PCC and those are out of copper. So, its cheating a little bit.

archer6817j

Enlightened
Hi folks,

I've been fooling around in the shop a bit and thought I'd post some pics. My initial testing doesn't show much significant difference from my aluminum heads between time "0" and 1 minute. I haven't done any 3 min+ tests yet.

copper-reflect-persp-SMALL.jpg

copper-perspective-SMALL.jpg

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make it anodized and Surefire E series thread compatible and you'll have a serious winner. I like it.. a lot.

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
Hi folks,

I've been fooling around in the shop a bit and thought I'd post some pics. My initial testing doesn't show much significant difference from my aluminum heads between time "0" and 1 minute. I haven't done any 3 min+ tests yet.

copper-reflect-persp-SMALL.jpg

copper-perspective-SMALL.jpg

DUDE! Nice, very nice. Like this body style much, much more. Copper is very cool. I would like to see some longer run times tested for heat disipation. If copper times are longer than that's a plus to weigh against the cost. That first head that you showed on this thread in aluminum was perfect to me. The grooves that you milled into the length of the head I think would look cool if added to the length of the body like a nod toward fluting on a revolver cylinder then cerakote the whole thing. If you could make a bezel for a 6P that looks like that first head & leave it up to the customer to cerakote that would be awesome. Watching the thread for the Cryos bezel I see there is more demand then than they can supply. I would think that this could help supplement your fund in the process of building your name that already looks to have a good start. That's my two cents. Whatever you do, keep it up!

cdrake261

Enlightened
While I think your various versions of your flashlight is awesome and it's a great idea to offer those options, but I think you need to work on expanding your flashlight line to offer people more compact flashlight as well as high power flashlights that most of us crave.

I had thought about an all copper flashlight carrying 32650's and triple XM-L's...at modest 3 amp settings, easily get at least 2500 lumens from the emitter(technically closer to 2700 lumens).

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
While I think your various versions of your flashlight is awesome and it's a great idea to offer those options, but I think you need to work on expanding your flashlight line to offer people more compact flashlight as well as high power flashlights that most of us crave.

I had thought about an all copper flashlight carrying 32650's and triple XM-L's...at modest 3 amp settings, easily get at least 2500 lumens from the emitter(technically closer to 2700 lumens).

Just put my money down on an XM-L EDC from Mac or I'd be PMing you for a price on the carbon fiber model you have- my budget is shot for a while.

My dream light would be 100ml long or shorter, max out at about 1500 lumens, have a low mode of 10-15 lumens, mid of @ 200-300, peak at 1500, have random strobe at full option, more throw than spill but plenty of each without a hot spot & tritium insert in clickie either a rod or ball but capable of tail standing.

Easy right;)

Dsoto87

Newly Enlightened
Though I think the above idea is a nice one, I don't think it would be a smart business move on your part. If youre not having great success with selling 18650 sized lights (one of the most commonly used batteries around here) it probably wouldn't be good to move into an area that utilizes an even less common size.

I think your lights look great and, based on the numbers, seem to perform quite well. I would definitely purchase one if I had the cash. The only thing I would change is the driver. Something a little more advanced than the commonly used SB driver would be nice but I'm not sure if that's possible or how that would affect pricing .

Edit: I was responding to cdrake

Last edited:

cdrake261

Enlightened
Though I think the above idea is a nice one, I don't think it would be a smart business move on your part. If youre not having great success with 18650s (one of the most commonly used batteries around here) it probably wouldn't be good to move into an area that utilizes an even less common size.

I think your lights look great and, based on the numbers, seem to perform quite well. I would definitely purchase one if I had the cash. The only thing I would change is the driver. Something a little more advanced than the commonly used SB driver would be nice but I'm not sure if that's possible or how that would affect pricing .

Edit: I was responding to cdrake

I'm still learning about all the technicality of batteries, LEDs, and drivers...but you could go with an taskled h6flex and set it for 2.8A or 3.6A as max or go with another driver to give you 2.8A-3.6A to hit the high 2500-2700 lumens. I would make the copper heatsink thread into the copper case with very minimal tolarance to allow maximum thermal transfer not just to the heatsink but to spread it throughout the whole flashlight casing. From there, you can machine ribs into the case to help cool things off, but for the battery, I would make a sleeve(plastic or if you can get your hands on it, ceramic) to keep heat away from the batteries. From my understanding, you would need 32650's for their higher capacity so you can have decent run times at higher lumens.

Expensive flashlight? Absolutely, but a high tech one at that plus I'm willing to bet you can get a longer continuous run time before it gets too hot to run compared to an aluminum flashlight counterpart.

But before you or anybody make a point about it being too heavy, ask yourself how many people actually carry a 2500+ lumens flashlight? I do not know very many honestly...

cdrake261

Enlightened
While a 500 lumen midsize flashlight is cool and everything, I find 500 lumen to be boring myself. You can either make bigger and brighter flashlights for the big "wow" factor, or keep them around 500 lumen and make the overall package smaller for the other "wow" factor

cdrake261

Enlightened
Jason, Don't get me wrong...I love your flashlights and would mind owning one, it's just that I'm the kind of person who want something outrageous and unique...

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
I'm still learning about all the technicality of batteries, LEDs, and drivers...but you could go with an taskled h6flex and set it for 2.8A or 3.6A as max or go with another driver to give you 2.8A-3.6A to hit the high 2500-2700 lumens. I would make the copper heatsink thread into the copper case with very minimal tolarance to allow maximum thermal transfer not just to the heatsink but to spread it throughout the whole flashlight casing. From there, you can machine ribs into the case to help cool things off, but for the battery, I would make a sleeve(plastic or if you can get your hands on it, ceramic) to keep heat away from the batteries. From my understanding, you would need 32650's for their higher capacity so you can have decent run times at higher lumens.

Expensive flashlight? Absolutely, but a high tech one at that plus I'm willing to bet you can get a longer continuous run time before it gets too hot to run compared to an aluminum flashlight counterpart.

But before you or anybody make a point about it being too heavy, ask yourself how many people actually carry a 2500+ lumens flashlight? I do not know very many honestly...

What keeps me from carrying a 2500 lumen light is price and size. Currently calculating and researching my next build around a VanIslDSM 1654 Lumen drop-in and a 6P style body unless I could get it to fit in an L2M from solarforce and make it fairly pocketable. Modooler 65 body is spendy but I'm calculating around $450 to $500 to make it with that drop in and a FETtie switch. Would love to make it with a Modooler 65 body, Triad tail and a cryos bezel but that would cost roughly another $160 bucks. It's an expensive addiction

cdrake261

Enlightened
What keeps me from carrying a 2500 lumen light is price and size. Currently calculating and researching my next build around a VanIslDSM 1654 Lumen drop-in and a 6P style body unless I could get it to fit in an L2M from solarforce and make it fairly pocketable. Modooler 65 body is spendy but I'm calculating around $450 to $500 to make it with that drop in and a FETtie switch. Would love to make it with a Modooler 65 body, Triad tail and a cryos bezel but that would cost roughly another $160 bucks. It's an expensive addiction

Sounds like an awesome flashlight... What I'm trying to say is there's Jason and there's several other flashlight venders who make excellent flashlights, but I take the original post as Jason asking how he can reinvent himself and separate himself from the other makers. I'm willing to bet that most people who own 2k+ lumen flashlights do not actually carry them like I would carry my fenix light. I still think Jason should continue to make the lights he makes now, but seeing how he's popular among everybody on the form, I think he should make high end, limited run, and stamped to mark what number flashlight that particular one is during that limited run.

I would suggest to make only 5 or 10 percent of the Normal flashlight he sells to be limited editions.

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
Ah. Good point. Nobody else would be making that super cool 500 lumen with that sweet bezel and a carbon fiber body that Jason could produce. That is a very fine and distinctive light. I would carry that in a heartbeat.