Dark Sucks: --wanted--feedback on new prototype head!

archer6817j

Enlightened
Love the last two lights you've posted~ Awesome work! i'm excited to see what you next offering is . . . .

Thanks :) I'll be excited to actually figure out what my next offering is!

No price on the carbon light. The tubes I got are not "ideal" so if I did a run I'd have to order some custom tubes...currently looking into the cost for that. Each tube would be enough for about 10 lights.

The cost for the carbon body will undoubtedly be higher and that head takes a lot more machine work. If anyone has serious interest, let me know and I'll take a deeper look into actual pricing. My preliminary guess would be about $100 jump in price, for a total around $300.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jason, if the tube has a larger ID than ideal then sleeve it with an aluminum tube which makes the CF mostly cosmetic. This will solve three issues: battery tube rattle; heatsink mass; body strength.

archer6817j

Enlightened
Jason, if the tube has a larger ID than ideal then sleeve it with an aluminum tube which makes the CF mostly cosmetic. This will solve three issues: battery tube rattle; heatsink mass; body strength.

That's the plan, you are good :) The current tube is about .050" too small, so the light in the photo is just a mock up. But like you suggest, the carbon will basically be a jacket. The aluminum will still be nickel plated for corrosion resistance...unless people really want raw, but I wouldn't recommend it :)

smarkum

Enlightened
Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!
Thanks :) I'll be excited to actually figure out what my next offering is!

No price on the carbon light. The tubes I got are not "ideal" so if I did a run I'd have to order some custom tubes...currently looking into the cost for that. Each tube would be enough for about 10 lights.

The cost for the carbon body will undoubtedly be higher and that head takes a lot more machine work. If anyone has serious interest, let me know and I'll take a deeper look into actual pricing. My preliminary guess would be about $100 jump in price, for a total around $300.

If you make them I'd buy one. I don't know if that is serious interest or enough interest for you to look into the venture, but I like it a LOT! I'd definitely want to be one of the 10.

archer6817j

Enlightened
So I guess I'll hijack my own thread and start using this one to show you guys what I'm working on in the "lab."

This first one is a flame colored Ti clip:

flame-ti.jpg

This is a prototype for a "raw machined" finish; no polishing, tumbling, or blasting. I'm considering having a local machine shop make these (instead of doing them in-house) and hopefully selling them for a slightly reduced price. What do you think?

machined-horizontal.jpg

machined-vertical.jpg

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the reduced price bare option the best.

It will be less expensive and I find it to be the pretiest yet!

I still rather have screw on pocket clips like Mac Customs, McGuizmo, Jetbeams, ect...

very nice indeed,
bigC

archer6817j

Enlightened
*COUGH copper 26650 P60 host COUGH*
:whistle:

Do you mean a copper head or a complete copper light? Hope you have some $$$ lying around :)

Interestingly, I tested my solid copper head against the solid aluminum head...and I didn't detect any significant difference. This reminds me I need to do some more scientific testing, but that surprised me. What is says to me is that (unless you are soldering directly to copper) the heat sink material (Al vs Cu) might not matter that much. Of course looks and heft count as well :)

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It probably wouldnt be nearly as interesting as making complete lights
but a 26650 body with C head compatibility even in aluminum would probably
sell pretty quick since they are pretty hard to come by. a Copper p60 head
even just for bling factor might too. Sort of like the one Cryos sells.
just thowing ideas out- sorry I meant to put it in yer other thread ;)

So many of us already have lights we love and would just like to upgrade
with a cool new Ti clip or copper head or big battery tube etc.

with all of the new high power drop-ins like the Van Isle DSM quad etc.
the demand for 26650 hosts has probably gone up.

again sorry to hijack! the new head looks nice!

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I would generally agree that the ribbed body does not match the head. A plain head that would do jsut fine I think. I would think that an EDC should be relatively small and light so I would favor a smaller head would a lot of fancy details. The bezen crenelations are useful though.

The copper head looks cool, maybe more polished would be nice. It could even go with the ribbed body especially if polished but the diamond texture body looks a little too plain.
The new head goes with the carbon fiber very well, but again I prefer less detail on the head given that the head is larger than the body.

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
I dig that carbon one and the bare aluminum.. if you could offer both with a screw in clip with the option for a single cr123, that would make a nice looking edc....any plans Jason for a shorter light? You've clearly got the talent! I would be willing to sacrifice lumens for something thats a tad shorter..

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened
I like the head on this light. I think it would match a little a better if the body was done in the same pattern, but then again you said prototype head not flashlight I retract my last statement. On a different note is the carbon fiber body of any significant weight difference than the al?

Last edited:

egrep

Enlightened
Jason,

This head really excites me a lot. And the Carbon Fiber Body or Knurled. I'll talk with you soon. :)

sassaquin

Enlightened
....any plans Jason for a shorter light? You've clearly got the talent! I would be willing to sacrifice lumens for something thats a tad shorter..

+1

Jason - Have you seen Mac's Customs' XML 18350 light? Something similiar to that size would be perfect for EDC. I'd buy one of those, but I have really enjoyed watching your company grow and would like to support it. Now, just make a mini-me light and I'm in.:)

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, although I like both 18650 and smaller 123 sized. There is a need for smaller lights for edc. I seen Jason did make a prototype though looked pretty good.

Latest posts