Dedicated throwers

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered this setup for my DBS V3 at the weekend (along with an 18650 extension tube) to alternate with my standard head setup - a smooth reflector and the Dereelight 3SD R5 XP-G pill. Even though the throw is impressive on that stock head, I've found myself using it less and less because of the cold, harsh tint and usually go with the more neutral XR-E Q5 driven DBS V1. Hopefully the new aspherical setup on the V3 will change that :thumbsup:

Be sure to post your comments on the DBS ASP setup once you've tried it outside.

davyro

Enlightened
I'm VERY new to the flashlight sickness but I have it bad. Do in part to this thread and others, I just received a Crelant 7G5 - and it is AWESOME - of course I have nothing to compare it to other than a 3d maglight from 20 years ago - not much of a comparison.

Thanks to everyone - cool place to hang out. Now if I could only figure out what a "pill" is.

Phil

Its your name without the "h":nana:

Matt7337

Enlightened
Be sure to post your comments on the DBS ASP setup once you've tried it outside.

I certainly will do! I showed my standard DBS V3 to a neighbour tonight and completely blew his mind :D I rarely ever use it around here, so he'd never seen it before. I told him I had something much more impressive on the way and he couldn't quite believe it. Can't wait to blow his mind again with my new aspheric head setup!

shramj

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the DEFT-edc LR+ on Friday, hopefully it will ship soon. I don't have any of the other DEFT lights but I will post my thoughts on the LR+ once I receive it.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Electrolumens has a SST-90 Search light with 4in Reflector. Its rated at 130K lux.
http://www.elektrolumens.com/

Kinda pricey but I would love that bezel as a hosts.
I think it is Direct Drive and if thats the case I wish it was a 4D size body instead.

bigC

I think you just pour in a few pounds of 18650s until its full, cap it off and fire it up.

:D

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you just pour in a few pounds of 18650s until its full, cap it off and fire it up.

yeah, I think going with 4 18650 cells is really smart move over a single IMR 26650 cell.

I sure hope its regulated for that price though.
What is the drive current to the LED?
What is the voltage input?
What is the cell carrier wirring? 2s2P, 4P, 4S,???

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Wayne explained a lot of that in the CPFM thread on it...if it ever comes back online, you could read the specs.

brandocommando

Enlightened
The ST90 uses 4 X 18650 in parallel. It is direct drive on high and is reported to be 9A, of course this will vary depending on the batteries used.

There are 2 switches, one for high and another for a "low" mode. I'm not sure how that works though.

Matt7337

Enlightened
I have a question about the pill in my DBS V3 - Does anyone know the lumen output figures for the various modes of the Dereelight 3SD XR-E R2 pill? Is it about 280 OTF?

cccpull

Enlightened
At the FlashlightConnection site they claim 250+ otf lumens driven at 1.5 amps.(reflector version)

Matt7337

Enlightened
Thanks guys - Mine's the 3SD so it doesn't get driven at 1.5A, I just run it off a single 18650 which I'm led to believe is about 200lm. I'll be running the aspheric setup (R900 pill) at 1.5A off 2x18650s. I "found" the perfect place to do my beamshots today, when I get around to that. It's a forest park close to where I grew up which I hadn't been in for a few years. I was working in a private property within the grounds there today and realized that there's a massive expanse of open, flat land in the middle of the park, surrounded by tall trees:

Excuse the poor quality iPhone picture - it's all I had at the time :) Google maps doesn't have satellite imagery of the park for an accurate distance, but from the car park (where that picture was taken) to that treeline in the distance is easily over 500m. I've been at several concerts in the Milton Keynes National Bowl in the past, and I'm pretty sure you could almost fit the MK bowl into this expanse of land. I might go out there for a stroll with a few lights tonight and pace it out. It's absolutely perfect for testing dedicated throwers :thumbsup:

Last edited:

wiiken

Newly Enlightened
Your numbers for that light sound right to me given its size. I ordered one last week just to take a look and see what it does. I'll report back my findings.

Hi, I just got my SMALL SUN ZY-C10-S today, so i will try it tonight and see if it's got any throw.
Did you get yours yet? Im really interrested in what you think about this light and if you would recomend any modifications to get even more throw from it.
Im quite new to this, but im really starting to become a flashoholic :)

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I just got my SMALL SUN ZY-C10-S today, so i will try it tonight and see if it's got any throw.
Did you get yours yet? Im really interrested in what you think about this light and if you would recomend any modifications to get even more throw from it.

Yes I did get mine. It is probably the best throw for the money. The plastic lens is of decent quality if a little bit too long in focal length for my taste. I measured 56K cd which is what I would expect with a light that size. The threads were horrible on my unit but did improve in feel quite a bit after deburring and using a quality lube. The focus action of the head works well enough but it would probably be a bad setup to use on a gun as I would expect the recoil to make the head shift it's focus. The driver has a maddening UI where you have to cycle through a strobe mode. With some modding it could be a pretty good light.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast

You could drive it harder if you can fashion a heat sink for it. It's quite good as is however. Making it one mode only would be nice as well.

oops...I see Saab was typing faster than I apparently :)

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I did get mine. It is probably the best throw for the money. The plastic lens is of decent quality if a little bit too long in focal length for my taste. I measured 56K cd which is what I would expect with a light that size. The threads were horrible on my unit but did improve in feel quite a bit after deburring and using a quality lube. The focus action of the head works well enough but it would probably be a bad setup to use on a gun as I would expect the recoil to make the head shift it's focus. The driver has a maddening UI where you have to cycle through a strobe mode. With some modding it could be a pretty good light.

Glad to hear you got a similar reading to mine. I wish it was one mode only however it does have memory but it just takes about 1 minute or so for that to kick in. So, if you only use it in high mode...it's always in high mode and you don't have to bother with the strobes.

I don't use it with a gun and I've actually taken it apart and am only using the lens and bezel with another light but you could use a bit of epoxy and convert it into a fixed thrower rather than a "zoom" light. It's not a DEFT :) but it is the only flood-to-throw light out there that has at least interested me as a thrower.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted about mine on the prev page
I crammed a p60 module in with some foil
I hate the UI and tint but it's an easy host for mods and CHEAP.
Threads r bad ;)
I need to get a single mode 1.7a neutral XRE for mine I think.
P60 modules are way shorter than the stock pill so the best focus is about halfway.
I'll probably make mine fixed.

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened

I got mine today and I got number 395 at 10 meters or converted 39500 lux!

I use TES 1332A light meter and it is really good meter, probably one of the best out there...

But also comparing to old Tiablo A9 and DBS with 1,2 amp EZ1000 it throws little less because they really are at 55000 lux territory and this aint...

DBS V3 with R2 EZ900 1SM driver kills it in throw and it look twice as bright...

But as a budget thrower it is really impressive... I never saw something cheap like that throwing that far...

I would not like to mount that on a real gun( it can be mounted on PCP Air rifle without problem)

I agree with all your statements except lux numbers but it is really bang for $...

Last edited: