Dedicated throwers

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is example how DBS V3 should not be set...

Yellow corona around die should not be visible(or just slightly if U got DBS with blurrier lenses)...

With DBS set up this way you will have less throw...

Well I think the problem with his light is a sub-par lens. I'll go ahead and say it now but I was developing a light based on the DBS as a host but decided in the end not to do it for three reasons. I had the driver break from switching the modes on the new T model. The brass pin that pushes the spring in to change the mode stuck out too far and pushed on the board too hard and bent it in. While I really really like the idea he has going there the execution needs more work. I also don't like the threads and think they are too easily damaged. And finally there is not enough consistency in the performance of the lenses. The one he sent me was an excellent performer but did have a significant scratch on the lens. I have somewhat strict standards for my lenses. I mean they can't all be perfect with these cheap molded lenses and I understand that but I still have standards and if they don't meet it then I will not use it. That would mean using the DBS aspheric would cost me too much in procuring more lenses. At any rate I have found a way to make my far smaller light throw just as far as the larger EZ900 DBS. But with the additional benefit of a neutral tint!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Well I think the problem with his light is a sub-par lens. I'll go ahead and say it now but I was developing a light based on the DBS as a host but decided in the end not to do it for three reasons. I had the driver break from switching the modes on the new T model. The brass pin that pushes the spring in to change the mode stuck out too far and pushed on the board too hard and bent it in. While I really really like the idea he has going there the execution needs more work. I also don't like the threads and think they are too easily damaged. And finally there is not enough consistency in the performance of the lenses. The one he sent me was an excellent performer but did have a significant scratch on the lens. I have somewhat strict standards for my lenses. I mean they can't all be perfect with these cheap molded lenses and I understand that but I still have standards and if they don't meet it then I will not use it. That would mean using the DBS aspheric would cost me too much in procuring more lenses. At any rate I have found a way to make my far smaller light throw just as far as the larger EZ900 DBS. But with the additional benefit of a neutral tint!

You are making me glad I ordered a DEFT edc LR

:D

How much better is the DEFT edc LR than the DBS set up?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don't misunderstand me. The DBS is one heck of a light especially for the price. And it will out throw even the current LR a little bit. I would expect my light to be more reliable however, as well as being far more easy to carry due to the smaller size. And the neutral tint of the LR is a big plus of course. But "how much better" is a subjective thing. Depends on ones priorities. Thanks for your support though. Many more great things to come because of it. :thumbsup:

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened

Well sir I respect Saabluster but DEFT EDC can not compare in throw with DBS V3 aspheric... And he personally confirmed that...

Saabluster makes an excellent drivers, and he probably put his aspherical lenses into cheap skyrag body...

The main reason I did not bought DEFT EDC LR is because I have 10 $ cheap Sky ray flashlight at home with no anodized threads and build quality is very poor especially comparing it to quality flashlight as DBS... And he used sky ray as a host...

SkyRay-S-R5-LED-Flashlight-G-mid-39489.jpg

Not to mention U can not upgrade it... Or maybe U can but U will sure pay for that...

Of course he put a lot of work into that flashlight! I appreciate that! Better driver and his aspherical lenses..., and maybe other stuff that I don't see because I don't have it...

Saabluster we all seen that U have skyray body and U changed everything on that cheap flashlight and U made top P60 thrower...

My few question goes directly for you. Why did you expected that all Deerelight DBS components need to be in its original state in order that you can modify it and made new improved flashlight?

- U could simply put your aspherical lenses if you don't like original ones which are BTW pretty good and U claimed that it throws 200 kcd with your XPC so they can not be bad...
- U could put better and improved non brass switch inside if you don't like original one
- Than Thread question Skyray vs Deerelight threads can not compare because DBS threads are 10 times better. Skyrag has cheap non anodized and soft threads and as I have skyray S and I don't have DEFT EDC I don't know how U improved that threads...

So U could order DBS without lenses and without switch and price for U would be probably miserable(few $)... And than U could add better aspheric lenses, better driver and better switch(or simply put off spring from switch)... I don't see problem...

But at the begining of this threads U made some boundaries claiming that DBS aspherical can throw 200 000 klux meter with your XPC driver...

So now if U will made small flashlight that will throw that far I will not have nothing to add even if the host will be sky ray...

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lens on the DBS is massive compared to the (hand selected) 26mm Ahorton lens used in the DEFT EDC

Just sayin ;)

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well sir I respect Saabluster but DEFT EDC can not compare in throw with DBS V3 aspheric... And he personally confirmed that...

Saabluster makes an excellent drivers, and he probably put his aspherical lenses into cheap skyrag body...

The main reason I did not bought DEFT EDC LR is because I have 10 $ cheap Sky ray flashlight at home with no anodized threads and build quality is very poor especially comparing it to quality flashlight as DBS... And he used sky ray as a host...

Not to mention U can not upgrade it... Or maybe U can but U will sure pay for that...

Of course he put a lot of work into that flashlight! I appreciate that! Better driver and his aspherical lenses..., and maybe other stuff that I don't see because I don't have it...

Saabluster we all seen that U have skyray body and U changed everything on that cheap flashlight and U made top P60 thrower...

It is Skyray. Yes that is the host we use for the current lights. I know it is hard for you to understand why a light could cost so much when the starting point is a cheap light. When you actually are on this side of things it is crystal clear. There are so many aspects to this that I don't have the time to type them all out but will try to cover a few.

I should say that it has always been my intention to give the absolute best performance in the world for any given packages size restraints and to do so without ripping off the consumers. I have never had the money to buy all the super nice lights I have seen here on CPF. Most specifically the custom lights that I drooled over. I have always wanted people like me to be able to afford something nice and set out to make that happen.

With limited resources and a small niche market that is the dedicated thrower scene it seemed that the lowest cost way to make lights was to use a host. The problem is I have high standards. My original lights which noone has yet to beat were made by me at varying degrees of money loss to me. They took so much time to make that I sold them for less than it cost me to make them. In the end that was $425 and I was still losing money and the base host for that light cost me about $15.

There are so many things that you have to account for that you just don't realize looking from the outside in and even from the inside as I found out. I resisted raising prices despite losses because I was sure that I would be able to find a way to make it work somehow and based my prices, not on how much work it took me, but how much I thought/hoped I could get it down to at some point in the future. That point never came.

I turned out some absolutely fabulous lights though even though the starting point was a cheap Chinese light. To make profit on that light I really needed to charge between $800 and $1000. The lights were mind-blowingly complicated to build. The carbon fiber bezel had a multi-core design and had special tabs that had to be delicately welded to the metal bezel. I could go on and on about how insanely difficult they were. After all that work all it took was a little mistake to ruin the whole thing and it was wasted. I made my own lenses for crying out loud! Some of those lenses would take an entire day to polish up right. You can't make money when it takes you a day just for a lens.

Anyways I have learned a few things over the years, albeit slowly, and with the current lights we now break even. Hallelujah! The current lights although not sporting the fancy carbon fiber still take a massive amount of work. First off you have to keep in mind that although the bodies are cheap they come with a hidden price. You can't use all of them. I have a huge box full of bodies that I can never sell because they have issues significant enough that I don't want my name attached to them. That costs money.

Then the ones that make it through that qualification process still have to be processed to make them into premium lights. The bodies are given a machined finish which takes quite a while. I had to make a special little tabletop lathe for this process as well. The switches are improved to help them be more reliable. Quite a few of the switches are just trashed because they don't "feel" right.

We make our own grip rings as the ones that come with the light are junk. That requires a lot of work in and of itself. The making of master parts and then molds. The upkeep of the molds and cost of casting labor and materials. This is in-house stuff because the numbers are not high enough to go source super high quality rings from someone in the thousands. All the components are of the highest quality including the high dollar ultra pure copper we use and the CNC machining required to make these parts. Solid to copper bonding and then a relatively difficult step of soldering wires onto the backside of the LED. But your not done yet. You still have to pot around the LED to make sure the solder joints hold reliably for life. Then a hole has to be drilled and tapped for ground. Once this is all done they get processed to become LR LEDs and a whole lot end up getting destroyed in the process. Each one that gets destroyed is money down the drain. You can't get that time and money back.

The tuning of the light is very difficult as well. The pill has to be set in the body with an interference fit and tuned up and down in three axis. You start by guessing where you think it should be and then put the head on and see how it actually performs. It is almost never right so you pull the head off and on several times just trying to assure it is just right. The lenses are also a problem in that I can't use all of those either. I think it is about 25% we don't use because they don't perform well enough.

We spend time on the threads deburring them and generally making them buttery smooth. Far more so than at least the DBS that was sent to me. The threads are better designed and less prone to cross threading on our lights. The DBS has threads that are too fine.

Now add on all the incidentals. Water, power, lubes, sand paper, various chemicals, paper towels, screws, epoxies, shop upkeep, o-rings, tools, R+D, warranties, customer service, website, paypal fees, health insurance, a $15,000 CNC machine and more. Trust me if you were on my side you would have a lot more respect for what it takes to create our lights.

My few question goes directly for you. Why did you expected that all Deerelight DBS components need to be in its original state in order that you can modify it and made new improved flashlight?
Again you have to understand the business side. Yes I could make significant alterations and make it close to perfect but every alteration costs money. So then the question becomes is the cost of the alteration worth it? If it costs more to make it right than it would have been to have an entire light made to your specification in the first place the decision is pretty clear. I finally came to the conclusion that what it would take to make right for it to be worthy of my name was not worth it.

- U could simply put your aspherical lenses if you don't like original ones which are BTW pretty good and U claimed that it throws 200 kcd with your XPC so they can not be bad...
Finding the right lens is one of the single hardest parts about designing a new light like this. They are not easy to get. The problem with sourcing fom China is the quality is hit or miss. You may in some cases as I found out have to buy 4 lenses to get one good one. So no it is not a "simple" matter.

- U could put better and improved non brass switch inside if you don't like original one
Yes I could but that would cost money. And frankly it is not simply a new brass switch that is needed but a redesign of the way it works. I know how to engineer it properly but it is not necessarily worth it.

- Than Thread question Skyray vs Deerelight threads can not compare because DBS threads are 10 times better. Skyrag has cheap non anodized and soft threads and as I have skyray S and I don't have DEFT EDC I don't know how U improved that threads...
Yes I agree the Skyray as it comes has inferior threads. Our lights however have better threads than the DBS. Anodizing of the threads does not quality make. Surefire makes some of the highest quality threads in the business and they are not anodized.

So U could order DBS without lenses and without switch and price for U would be probably miserable(few $)... And than U could add better aspheric lenses, better driver and better switch(or simply put off spring from switch)... I don't see problem...
But I'm still left with a light that has threads I don't like. I can't change that. Not to mention that I think the light is ugly. There are a lot of factors involved and you will just have to trust me that the numbers just don't work. It is not as simple as you think it is. Not with my standards anyway.

But at the begining of this threads U made some boundaries claiming that DBS aspherical can throw 200 000 klux meter with your XPC driver...

So now if U will made small flashlight that will throw that far I will not have nothing to add even if the host will be sky ray...
I can do what I said and more. But lux numbers are only one facet of a light. It needs to be well designed all around and that is what I shoot for not simply a number. As I said in a post just above try sticking a neutral emitter into that DBS and then let's see who wins? Try carrying that DBS in your pocket vs mine. Size matters.

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
Saabluster thanks on your effort to explain manufacturing procedure of your flashlight... Selection and tuning of parts is not easy... I know because I was manufacturing some parts(not flashlight related) so I really want that you have profit so that U can produce more cool stuff...

Flashlight tastes are different and it should not be argued about that... I had almost all aspherical flashlights available in a world(except yours...sorry) and I would not say that DBS aspherical is ugly flashlight...

It is not P60 light but it is very acceptable size with enormous throw... It would still throw further with neutral emitter(about 75klux/m) than DEFT EDC LR(about 60 klux/m). But dbs has ez900 and U have tuned XPC inside... That is huge difference... With your XPC DBS would have over 200klux/m throw as you said, and you are biggest expert in this field so there is no reason that we don't thrust you.

C'mon man we are not kids to argue about that but I have to return U :) To me rubber rings and polished body looks funny like some kind of clown light... I like classic black finish with no rubbers... But that is only my opinion...

If U made a Poll about what flashlight would we want for a host for your new flashlight you would have true answer about which flashlights people like.

And one more question? Please sorry if I am disturbing you... Please read...

Why you have intention to made only completely new flashlight and sell only few of them when U could simply invest in tuning parts for certain flashlights(lets say DBS, magcharger and others) and make bigger money? OMG tuning parts for example...

There are more than 200 000 people owning DBS and if only 2000 of them would buy upgrade from you on which U can earn lets say 30$ piece it would be 60 000$ earnings... There are more than 5 milion people owning magcharger(I am giving example only) and U would have 500 000 sold tuned parts for that... I am still waiting better upgrades for it than terralux flood led light...

I am only giving example of this 2 flashlights but there would be others that don't get on my mind currently...

Example I would pay 100$ for your tuned XPC in my DBS... Because I would know that I have what I always wanted from flashlight... 200Klux/m throw.

And I would pay for led upgrade that can really throw to my magcharger...

I want to say make a new flashlight but please made some tuned parts for other flashlights also... I really hoped that you will do so...

And I know that U will say that your budget is low for massive production... But there has to be some way...

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saabluster thanks on your effort to explain manufacturing procedure of your flashlight... Selection and tuning of parts is not easy... I know because I was manufacturing some parts(not flashlight related) so I really want that you have profit so that U can produce more cool stuff...

Flashlight tastes are different and it should not be argued about that... I had almost all aspherical flashlights available in a world(except yours...sorry) and I would not say that DBS aspherical is ugly flashlight...
I agree aesthetics are not worth arguing about. All I am saying is how I feel about it and part of what has lead to my decisions not trying to convince you to feel the same way. I was actually willing to overlook how I felt about the looks because I liked the mode switching concept so much but after the driver broke from simply operating the light I decided not to do any more work on it.

It is not P60 light but it is very acceptable size with enormous throw... It would still throw further with neutral emitter(about 75klux/m) than DEFT EDC LR(about 60 klux/m). But dbs has ez900 and U have tuned XPC inside... That is huge difference... With your XPC DBS would have over 200klux/m throw as you said, and you are biggest expert in this field so there is no reason that we don't thrust you.

C'mon man we are not kids to argue about that but I have to return U :) To me rubber rings and polished body looks funny like some kind of clown light... I like classic black finish with no rubbers... But that is only my opinion...

If U made a Poll about what flashlight would we want for a host for your new flashlight you would have true answer about which flashlights people like.
The DBS is acceptable in size for certain times but not all. When I go to church there is no way to carry the DBS on my person but my DEFT edc fits in my pants pocket just fine. It is that ability to be with you at all times that I treasure so much. You know very well that opportunities to use our lights pop up all the time even when we don't expect it. What good is the light going to be if it is not on you when that time comes?

You are incorrect about the neutral emitter in the DBS being able to throw 75K lux. The neutral XR-Es have the ez1000 die not the ez900. That is a roughly 25% cut right there but that is not all. You can't get R2 binned neutral XR-Es either. The best I've seen is a Q4. So you will have less output due to the lower bin but you also can't run that LED as hard so output will be reduced even further. Like for like my light would win.

And one more question? Please sorry if I am disturbing you... Please read...

Why you have intention to made only completely new flashlight and sell only few of them when U could simply invest in tuning parts for certain flashlights(lets say DBS, magcharger and others) and make bigger money? OMG tuning parts for example...

There are more than 200 000 people owning DBS and if only 2000 of them would buy upgrade from you on which U can earn lets say 30$ piece it would be 60 000$ earnings... There are more than 5 milion people owning magcharger(I am giving example only) and U would have 500 000 sold tuned parts for that... I am still waiting better upgrades for it than terralux flood led light...

I am only giving example of this 2 flashlights but there would be others that don't get on my mind currently...

Example I would pay 100$ for your tuned XPC in my DBS... Because I would know that I have what I always wanted from flashlight... 200Klux/m throw.

And I would pay for led upgrade that can really throw to my magcharger...

I want to say make a new flashlight but please made some tuned parts for other flashlights also... I really hoped that you will do so...

And I know that U will say that your budget is low for massive production... But there has to be some way...

Why do I want to make complete lights as opposed to parts? Because I believe in a holistic approach to design. Most especially when pushing the absolute limits of technology is this important. If I sell just parts I cannot be assured the application will be correct. That is just the way I do things. I will give some consideration to offering DBS specific upgrades. My main focus is on a new light though.

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
Thank U on your attention Saabluster and sorry for disturbing you ...

I agree with Blue Led... Saabluster please made some upgrades for us!

I will just suggest something... U can made some kind of waiting list on which U would have people that are interested for certain upgrades and take 10% deposit and when the upgrade will be done U can send to costumers...

I hope U R not to angry on me? ;)

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saabluster,

Any teaser specs on your new project?

Thanks!

Of course not. Nothing really to say about specifics but I will say that it will be completely my own design. This will be the first time people here will get to see my design skills and I'm happy about that. I am very very proud of the products we sell now but the amount of work they take makes the lights non-profitable. This next light is hopefully going to change that. For various reasons that I will not go into now the light will still be the same size as the current one so don't expect to see the 500Kcd R+D monster I created just yet.

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
Then buy a DEFT edc-LR.
I stated my reasons above but there are other ways to help him... Free donations for great ideas... I can donate lets say example 5 $... But I believe that more than 1000 people would donate something for great projects... At least 1 $ but many donations means plenty of $... I don't think this is charity... It is support of stuff U like and stuff that U want to be developed in future...

I understand that is very hard for individual with great ideas and knowledge to breakthrough expanded flashlight market... But there has to be some way to gain $ in order to start massive production that will lower the price...

Lets say that someone has protect patent flashlight, and that he has reliable partner in China flashlight manufacturing industry and breakthrough is possible...

But he must have partner or sponsor(we can be sponsors for start with only 1 $ donation)...

I think Saabluster has good potential to develop his personal brand without any host flashlight because of unique concept flashlights and excellent technology that is not known to regular flashlight manufacturers...
For example some of my good friends that are manufacturing brand flashlights can not understand how the hell Saabluster tuned XPC to 1,5 amp current because they get angry blue at 0,7 amps... I tried to explain from gathering information on this forum but they said it is not possible to do such stuff in serial production...

And from what we see on this forum Nailbender does not have true 1,4 and 1,7 tuned XPC because some members bought it and they are not happy at all...
So I think only Saabluster knows how to made real stuff...

Of course not. Nothing really to say about specifics but I will say that it will be completely my own design. This will be the first time people here will get to see my design skills and I'm happy about that. I am very very proud of the products we sell now but the amount of work they take makes the lights non-profitable. This next light is hopefully going to change that. For various reasons that I will not go into now the light will still be the same size as the current one so don't expect to see the 500Kcd R+D monster I created just yet.

Can we expect regulated 200Kcd flashlight?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
To all who are interested in an 200K Dereelight Aspheric pill with XP-C R4

There are two other builders who do similar LED to copper bonding but you might have to wait months, still an alternative.

Milkyspits in this forum does in fact have LED to copper bonding and doing a 1.4A single mode Dereelight copper Pill with XP-C R4 is something he can do. Now, will it get 200K lux? maybe!

Another alternative is to ask Lamdalights.com, he also has LED to copper technology down. Again, superbusy and even his normal builds are hard to get.

bigC

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you bigC. I was thinking that maybe 1.4A for a XP-C Q4 might be a little too much, as the pill is quite small and may have difficulty expelling the heat. I wonder how much lux a 1.2a would get me?