DeDome an SST-90...?

sadtimes

Enlightened
If this is in the wrong place, please move it.

I have inadvertently DeDomed an SST90 before, and it turned out just perfect once I put some optical (glue?) on it to reseal it, it had a throw like no other..

My question, I want to purposely DeDome another one, however I am afraid that I might damage it.. So how does one go about doing this on purpose?

Thanks!

Epsilon

Enlightened
SST-90's have hard lenses vs the soft ones of CREE.

But the recipe is the same: Power the LED untill hot, then the silicone is soft. Pry around the lens where it is glued and the dome will come off pretty easy on and SST-90.

BTW, receiling is not needed I think on an SST, it has a layer of silicone on top of the actual die, but under the lens.

LEDealer

Newly Enlightened
SST-90's have hard lenses vs the soft ones of CREE.

But the recipe is the same: Power the LED untill hot, then the silicone is soft. Pry around the lens where it is glued and the dome will come off pretty easy on and SST-90.

BTW, receiling is not needed I think on an SST, it has a layer of silicone on top of the actual die, but under the lens.

Why do people insist on de-doming LEDs when both Cree and Philips Lumileds have un-domed products?

netprince

Enlightened
I have done it. It was easy and throws great just as you experienced. They are not cheap LEDs though.

Epsilon

Enlightened
Why do people insist on de-doming LEDs when both Cree and Philips Lumileds have un-domed products?

Because the products withouts domes are not just domeless versions of the same products with domes as far as I know.
Please point out a XM-L2 without a dome, I would be interested in that!

Luminus actually does produce domeless versions of their LEDS. CBT-90 vs CST-90 for example. The loss of lumen is obvious, just by looking at the specs, those domes are there on purpose. This doens't mean that there isn't an application of the domeless LEDS, they have their advantages.

wertzius

Newly Enlightened
The dedmomed Version of the SST-90 is the SBT-90. They are a little bit more expensive than the domed version.

Also interesting is the SBT-70, which is round shaped.

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
Why buy a whole new LED when you can de-dome the one on hand? And as Epsilon says, they don't make XP-E/G, XM-L etc without a dome, so for one it's hard to do a domed vs undomed comparison with completely different LEDs installed.
Not to mention cost and availability.

Yeah, in this case the SBT-90 is commercially available, but may not be readily available. And you ain't a real modder unless you're hacking something apart! :p

</derail>