Deep UV (254nm) LEDs

Boosted98gsx

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to thread necromance here, but it's been a few years since the OP and wondering if tech has advanced to make these more affordable yet? Also looking for 254nm diodes for mineral detection.

Thanks!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, a UV-C LED emitter? I didn't even think they made those in an LED source. Very cool. Dangerous! But still cool. Mmmm... I love the smell of ozone in the morning.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
365nm is fairly common these days and available in a few production lights, but that is a higher wavelength and pretty much all UV-A

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Just ordered a couple of ~280nm LEDs to try out as mineral lights. They're fairly low power but the manufacturer claims that they can be used for sterilization. They're probably not as effective as the classic UVC 254nm wavelength, but it will be interesting to see what they can do for my fluorescent mineral hobby. Maybe I'll have germ-free minerals. :)

MTRun!

Newly Enlightened
I hear you, I still cannot find a solid 254nm LED. Thanks for the updates PhotonWrangler. There is a vendor on eBay drop shipping a 265nm MCPCB for $40 from a company called UVTaoYuan. Thorlabs has a low power MCPCB at 265nm for over a thousand dollars (yes $1K) and a slightly more affordable 275nm MCPCB for $231; part numbers M265D2 and M275D2 respectively. The 275nm board from Thorlabs is tempting to try, but not cheap.