DEFT-edc Enthusiast 86Kcd!!!

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was fortunate enough to snag one of these jewels. I had high expectations seeing the writeup and images. I know what Saabluster's lights can do, as I have 3 versions of his larger DEFT's (with 5 pills), and all 3 of his EDC's. When I got this Enthusiast model, I just admired the workmanship and details for quite a while. I thought it would be a little brighter than the LR+, but my expectations were blown out of the water. The precision sharpness and intensity of this model's focused LED die compared to all the previous DEFT and EDC's seems like it is from another planet, or some "Back To The Future" future Doc Brown creation. I don't know how many of us have all the model versions, but I need to get a single beamshot view showing them all together.

I haven't had anything here at CPF create enough interest for me personally--to make me want to go out and do more shootouts like I used to, but this light REQUIRES that I get it done. I could go on and on (as I did in my email to Saabluster), but what's needed is "the money shot" of them all together. Stay tuned.
I would like to see that comparison. I too got an Entusiast, but it's my first DEFT. I guess I jumped on at the last train out :D. I look forward to the day when SaaB takes the full size DEFT updates it with his new design concepts of this great little Enthusiast EDC. It would be soo cool to see a newer, slightly larger than the EDC, but smaller than the Full sized DEFT, that would allow him to use an LED with a slightly larger die that has 3-4X more output and throw. I can say I have compared it to a few of my other lights and it rocks.
GL

51mY

Newly Enlightened
Just got mine. While I'm very happy with the brightness and throw of this flashlight, I have a few issues. There are irregular artifacts and rings around the main beam as I project it onto the wall. This is quite unlike the original Deft EDC which I have, which produces a relatively artifact free beam. Why is this...

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got mine. While I'm very happy with the brightness and throw of this flashlight, I have a few issues. There are irregular artifacts and rings around the main beam as I project it onto the wall. This is quite unlike the original Deft EDC which I have, which produces a relatively artifact free beam. Why is this...
Not sure if mine is the same as yours, I have noticed a few irregularities that are caused by the love, care, and crafting of the maker. The Glow powder that surrounds the emitter was done by hand and not by a machine. The irregularities of this powders surface project with the beam and appear as the artifacts I believe you speak of. To me it's a reminder of the skill needed to apply this by hand. If you take a picture of it, it will be your unique finger print of your enthusiast. In everyday use and outside it does not present a problem for me. The optics he used on this model are so refined, that I can actually see the power wires coming off the emitter just like a photograph. I have noticed that if you uncrew the head slightly and diffuse the beam a bit they are diminished greatly, even against a white wall. I do know that SaaB stands behind his products. If yours is bothering you too much, please contact him directly and he will take care of you :).
GL

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

No aspheric light is completely artifact free. Unless there is a diffusion film placed over the lens that is. It is just the nature of the beast. The edc Enthusiast has such a perfect lens that everything is projected in perfect detail. That is why it reaches the stratospheric performance it does. Keep in mind that this light was not designed to light up the wall right in front of you but extreme distances where any artifacts you speak of would not be noticeable. Like Got Lumens? mentioned you also have the ability to unscrew the head slightly which softens and widens the beam for the times you need close up lighting. It does this better in fact than any other aspheric light I have ever seen because of the precision lens. Hope that makes sense.

GulfCoastToad

Newly Enlightened

Not to mention that there are probably 100 people on this forum who would GLADLY take that off your hands for what you paid for it. Not sure why you're shining it indoors - do you read your books with a laser pointer?

51mY

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if mine is the same as yours, I have noticed a few irregularities that are caused by the love, care, and crafting of the maker. The Glow powder that surrounds the emitter was done by hand and not by a machine. The irregularities of this powders surface project with the beam and appear as the artifacts I believe you speak of. To me it's a reminder of the skill needed to apply this by hand. If you take a picture of it, it will be your unique finger print of your enthusiast. In everyday use and outside it does not present a problem for me. The optics he used on this model are so refined, that I can actually see the power wires coming off the emitter just like a photograph. I have noticed that if you uncrew the head slightly and diffuse the beam a bit they are diminished greatly, even against a white wall. I do know that SaaB stands behind his products. If yours is bothering you too much, please contact him directly and he will take care of you :).
GL

Thanks GL, very helpful and informative. Always appreciate learning more from true flashaholic :)

No aspheric light is completely artifact free. Unless there is a diffusion film placed over the lens that is. It is just the nature of the beast. The edc Enthusiast has such a perfect lens that everything is projected in perfect detail. That is why it reaches the stratospheric performance it does. Keep in mind that this light was not designed to light up the wall right in front of you but extreme distances where any artifacts you speak of would not be noticeable. Like Got Lumens? mentioned you also have the ability to unscrew the head slightly which softens and widens the beam for the times you need close up lighting. It does this better in fact than any other aspheric light I have ever seen because of the precision lens. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks Saab makes sense. Yes, outside the imperfections are barely noticeable and the flashlight blows away all of your other EDCs. I think I was just getting my expectations too high because you kept using words like "perfect" and "ultimate" :)

Not to mention that there are probably 100 people on this forum who would GLADLY take that off your hands for what you paid for it. Not sure why you're shining it indoors - do you read your books with a laser pointer?
Too bad buddy, bit quicker with the "buy" button next time, eh? And no, I actually use 500 laser pointers at the same time to completely illuminate the page. Then I wear goggles coz it's a bit too bright.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to try an interesting experiment. A friend that also has an Entusiast and I will try some long distance signaling. The neat part about this is that we will not be in line of sight with one another. An attempt is going to be made to see if we can signal each other over a distance of about 35 miles. If we did have line of sight I am confident that would be easy. Any suggestions are welcomed. We still have a few weeks of planning before this will happen.
GL

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to try an interesting experiment. A friend that also has an Entusiast and I will try some long distance signaling. The neat part about this is that we will not be in line of sight with one another. An attempt is going to be made to see if we can signal each other over a distance of about 35 miles. If we did have line of sight I am confident that would be easy. Any suggestions are welcomed. We still have a few weeks of planning before this will happen.
GL

Clouds, dude. Use the clouds. And take photos.

obi

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
GL

:faint: That is just crazy. More power to you though. I'd think the curvature of the earth becomes a problem at those kinds of distances. One of you would have to be on a mountain or something. Can't wait to see what you guys figure out.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Any body sick of there's yet? Or just can't handle the awesomeness? Cuz il take it lol

Saab when did you jump from the LR to the LR+? and how many of those were made? Its crazy that the enthusiast, throws farther and has a wider beam.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any body sick of there yet? Or just can't handle the awsomeness? lol

Saab when did you jump from the LR to the LR+? and how many of those were made? Its crazy that the enthusiast, throws farther and has a wider beam.

I really don't know the answer to that right off the top of my head. Would take some digging and digging would take time that I don't have just now. Got to go get beamshots and answer emails ;) I think it was around 30 LR+ but that is a stab in the dark.

AznDragon567

Newly Enlightened
Do you do custom mods for people? and are you going to be selling any more lights any time soon?