Dental headlamp

boonsht

Newly Enlightened
The housing is actually copper tubing that I cut myself. Some of the items I used:

LED: http://www.luxeonstar.com/luxeon-k2-star-white-75-lumens-700ma-p-133.php?link_str=1431&id=2212

Lens: http://www.luxeonstar.com/l2-3°-spot-base-module-for-luxeon-k2-leds-p-318.php

BuckPuck: http://www.luxeonstar.com/buckpuck-700ma-dc-led-driver-with-leads-p-36.php

It really is quite a project. My suggestion is you join Dental Town and enter the forums under Magnification. Go to Loupes and there is a topic on "Making your glass mounted light source" by Mike Scoles. Go thru it and if you think you're willing to make your own, Go For IT! :thumbsup:

Extremely satisfying end result. I couldn't be happier! :)

Offroad'Bent

Enlightened
Would you mind posting instructions for the housing here?
Sorry, but I went off Dental Town a while ago, and it might help some others too, including non-dental members.
I might be tempted to make up a second unit myself.

Thanks!

The housing is actually copper tubing that I cut myself. Some of the items I used:

LED: http://www.luxeonstar.com/luxeon-k2-star-white-75-lumens-700ma-p-133.php?link_str=1431&id=2212

Lens: http://www.luxeonstar.com/l2-3°-spot-base-module-for-luxeon-k2-leds-p-318.php

BuckPuck: http://www.luxeonstar.com/buckpuck-700ma-dc-led-driver-with-leads-p-36.php

It really is quite a project. My suggestion is you join Dental Town and enter the forums under Magnification. Go to Loupes and there is a topic on "Making your glass mounted light source" by Mike Scoles. Go thru it and if you think you're willing to make your own, Go For IT! :thumbsup:

Extremely satisfying end result. I couldn't be happier! :)

itch808

Newly Enlightened
I'm also a dental student that has always been wondering this! The ludicrous prices some companies charge is ridiculous! At a recent vendor fair one company wanted $800+.

I would greatly appreciate any students or practicing dentists that would post up a plan, details, etc. to their light. How do you all manage to attach them to your loupes' frames?

Offroad'Bent

Enlightened
I'm also a dental student that has always been wondering this! The ludicrous prices some companies charge is ridiculous! At a recent vendor fair one company wanted $800+.

I would greatly appreciate any students or practicing dentists that would post up a plan, details, etc. to their light. How do you all manage to attach them to your loupes' frames?

Fred Pilon made me up a nice LED housing, and he made a bracket that screwed into my Orascoptic TTL loupes. The whole thing was a lot less than the commercial units.

The only thing I'd improve is that the light is so small that it doesn't have the best beam- I've seen tighter beams from wider optics, giving effectively more brightness.

I used my modified PT Apex light in dentistry quite successfully, and it's tighter beam is brighter than my loupe light, but more cumbersome.

boonsht

Newly Enlightened
Offroad, for my Scoles dental light, I used a 3/4 to 1/2 copper tubing. I had to cut it the right height so that the LED star sits on the bottom ledge of it with the lens fitting on top. I used thermal adhesive to make sure it stays there. You'll have to trim the LED star to make it fit inside. I used a dremel.

The tricky part is mounting it. Since yours are TTL, you'll have to be creative with this part. Wish I could help you with that. Maybe if you had an extra bracket.

The way I mounted my light is using the flip handle that came with my loupes to make them flip up and down easier. This is what I used for the base. I found this light at a dollar store. Take a close look at the pic.

Led.clip.light.jpg

I cut the flashlight off, removed the base from the clip and epoxied it onto the lever. Before I did that, I fit the arm on the copper tubing with the dental LED light. At one point I thought the ball was a little loose so I spray painted it so it gives it more friction.

This is Dr. Mike Scoles home made original project. Thanks again, Mike for putting this together. All the credit goes to this guy. Can't say enough about Mike, he's awesome!

A few things have changed, like instead of the canister a copper tubing was used. For the battery pack, I copied Mike and used a LiPo battery used for RC toys.

This is Mike's original post:

Parts list for Surgical light

Luxeon LED #5027-WP14 $7 www.luxeonstar.com

Luxeon LED Driver #3023-D-N-700 $17 www.luxeonstar.com

3 degree lense #OPK2-1-003 $3 www.luxeonstar.com

2000mah batt lion battery pack $30 email [email protected]
Switch $3 local electronics store
Charge jack $2
Phono female plug $3
Phono cord $2
Plastic box $8
Lion Charger $20 see link below
https://01836cd.netsolstores.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=825
Conductive Epoxy local electronics store
Blood sugar test strips container

The pictures are pretty self explanatory, I have addressed a few things that might not be intuitive below, other than that, its pretty simple. I got the bulk of the things I needed at an electronics store, try to find a place a little more heavy duty than radio shack.

When you're at the electronics store, buy one of those small PC cooling fans. Plug a 9volt battery into it and a base where you can aim it. It provides enough of a breeze to keep solder fumes out of your face. I think it was $4.

When making the battery packs and the cord for the LED, always use a volt meter to make sure you are going in the right direction.

I didn't use a potentiometer, if you want to adjust the light, you can buy a driver with one on the luxeon site.

Heat Sink-you must do a heat sink, or you will melt the lense. There are many different ways you can do this, I used a piece of aluminum and a quarter. This is the beauty of a DIY project, you get to be creative. I think finding a metal tube with just a bit smaller diameter than the base of the LED would be ideal, I will keep looking. Go to a good hardware store like Ace, they carry brass and aluminum tubing in small sizes. You just need a way for the base plate of the LED to send its heat elsewhere, as long as you use conductive glue, and a large enough chunk of metal, you will be in good shape.

Make sure you run the cord through the hole in the light case before you solder it onto the LED. I've lost count on how many times I've soldered stuff prematurely…

You need a bracket to mount the LED to your glasses. If you have orascoptic loupes, you can order their bracket. If you have an old light source, you can adapt its bracket to this one. If you have a sheervision LED light, I would keep the headlight, and just make new packs with the Luxeon driver. This driver/battery combo is twice as bright as the sheervision set up with the NiMh battery pack. We have several different brands of loops in our office, (hygienists and assistants have them) tough to make a universal bracket. This is where the fun part is, you get to fabricate your own! A piece of thin metal bent at an angle and screwed to the middle part of the glasses would work fine.

You can use the sheervision black plastic boxes and just replace the driver and battery if you like, much easier than buying new boxes. I would suggest new plugs, the ones that come with the sheervision are fairly low quality, hence the light flickering. I posted pics of the conversion.

My only word of caution: DO NOT SKIP THE HEATSINK The LED creates a ton of heat, if you use a metal housing instead of plastic, and you use conductive epoxy to glue the base of the LED to the metal housing, you wouldn't need it. The sheervision and orascoptic LED lights use the entire enclosure as the heatsink. You can't do that with plastic. I left my light on for one hour straight and the quarter was too hot to touch, but the temperature remained constant after the first few minutes. I used an infrared heat gun to monitor the temperature throughout the hour. I may have a buddy machine some metal housings for me.

You guys are seeing my first try at the headlight. I already have a bunch of ideas to make it better. I wanted to get this out with the parts list so people could get working on it. I would like to find a better source for the lenses, I think one with a tighter focus would be better. I tried to make this as simple (ie crude) as possible so people could make it with easily obtainable items. I'll tweak on it in the future and make nicer ones. Please contribute improvements if you come up with any. My way may be the worst way to do this, other viewpoints are always welcome. I still think this would be a great project for a teenager with a little mechanical inclination...

LEDLIGHT02.jpg

LEDLIGHT03.jpg

LEDLIGHT04.jpg

LEDLIGHT05.jpg

LEDLIGHT06.jpg

LEDLIGHT07.jpg

LEDLIGHT08.jpg

LEDLIGHT09.jpg

LEDLIGHT13.jpg

LEDLIGHT14.jpg

LEDLIGHT15.jpg

LEDLIGHT16.jpg

LEDLIGHT17.jpg

LEDLIGHT18.jpg

LEDLIGHT19.jpg

LEDLIGHT20.jpg

LEDLIGHT21.jpg

LEDLIGHT22.jpg

LEDLIGHT23.jpg

Again like I said in my earlier post, the best thing would be heading over to dental town to see the whole thread if you could. Alot of info there that would be difficult to post here.

Offroad'Bent

Enlightened
This helps a ton! I already have all the battery/driver/switch stuff complete,(Got a waterproof switch and cables from Batteryspace and a 700ma driver from LED Supply)

I definitely don't have a 3 degree lens- there wasn't one small enough to fit in the housing, so I'm mostly interested in the head. It looks far bigger and perhaps heavier than my light, but I still think I'll build one to see if I prefer the narrow beam.

Thanks for the details on the head construction. I think I'd stick with pennies rather than quarters for heat sink as the copper's important.
I'll make an aluminum bracket out the back that can screw directly into the loupes. They have 2 threaded holes for light attachment already.

Last edited:

Indeskys

Newly Enlightened
Hello fellow members,

Has anybody ever see a wirelss LED headlight? Is this even possible?? What are your thoughts?

pgjohnson2244

Newly Enlightened
Hello fellow members,

Has anybody ever see a wirelss LED headlight? Is this even possible?? What are your thoughts?

This is nearly a year too late, but there is a light/loupe called the Orascoptic Freedom. Last I've checked the setup is around $1600 and I thought it felt bulky. Great concept though.

Tarkus

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone.

I'm new to the forum. I am a dental student who is looking to make a loupe light to save money and because I love making things. I have a little bit of experience with playing with circuits from when I was a kid, but for the most part am new to this. I have a 10mm white LED that I just bought from RadioShack with the following specs:

Intensity 28,500 mcd (typical)
Viewing angle: 10 degrees
FW current: 20mA
FW supply: 3.5V (typical) 4.0V (max)

I imagine I'll probably have to use a resistor if my power source is more than 4V. I am thinking about using one of those emergency cell phone battery chargers as a power source (5V and 1000mA,) but I'm not sure how I would connect it up to the light. Any tips? Is this a good power source? Thanks!

Ed

MikeAusC

Enlightened
If you type "dental" in the search box at the top right you you will see the threads from -
- those who say it can't be done,
- those who have promised great rewards if someone helped built dental lights - then disappeared forever
- those who have built dental lights and published their learnings

Latest posts