dewalt 18v led conversion

jdc_va_usmc

Newly Enlightened

mtbdudex

Newly Enlightened
I have (2) Dewalt 18v flashlights,
dewalt-dw919-18v-flashlight-18-volt-light-torch-lamp_220308191582.jpg

after seeing post 14 and reading the press release http://www.milwaukeetool.com/NewsAndMedia/PressReleases/Details.aspx?PublicationId=1048 this seems like good solution.

Has anyone here bought the Milwaukee LED upgrade kit?
If so, good quality, no issues, etc?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the fusion48 from eBay in my dewalt light and it rocks.
Over 500 lumens all flood, in a cool white beam.
I had to shim the lens so that the spring made contact. Used a zip tie and cut off the end.
Same guy that makes the fusion36 for maglite

mtbdudex

Newly Enlightened
Checking online the only review I could find is @ amazon, 1 of 5 stars, seems like this is NOT a good solution based upon that feedback, that's why I'm asking here before spending $$'s.
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-49-...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I already had the real-McCoy Milwaukee M12 LED work light which is pricey but delivers the goods. I was truly impressed with its light output and beam pattern. This was after terrible performance from Makita's LED flash light which costs less than half. I wanted to upgrade another Makita flashlight which I use a lot to Milwaukee's LED technology.

In short, it didn't fit. See my customer image. I then put this LED "upgrade" into an M12 incandescent work light that I also had. It would be a perfect A/B comparison to the M12 LED work light that I mentioned above. See my customer images comparing the two as well as comparing the LED-upgraded M12 to typical Makita 18V work light. The light output of the LED "upgrade" is a joke.

In a nutshell, this product needs to go back to the drawing board. You are better off spending the money on Milwaukee's factory M12 LED work light or possibly on their factory M18 LED work light if you can use those batteries. The M12 LED work light is one of the best work lights I have used.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fusion 48 is the showerhead approach to brighteness.
I popped out the reflector and put it in, I shinned the glass so it made contact, but you could extend the spring.
I think it fits better in the snake lite than the swivel handle I have. I like it

mtbdudex

Newly Enlightened

JohnnyScience

Newly Enlightened

eddie1681

Newly Enlightened
I can't seem to find the fusion 48 bulbs on ebay

I tried to sreach for fusion 48 led nothing

Anyone have a link?

Thanks

uberthin

Newly Enlightened
I wanted a LED conversion for my DeWalt DW919 18V work light. The light is fairly cheap at $35 without the Ni-Cd battery (which I had from other tools). Googling led me to CPF, but the info here was sparse. I followed the link on this thread to http://www.sinounion.com.hk/ and bought their Fusion6048 module from them off ebay for $31 shipped. Here is some more information on it.

Install would have been easy if i knew how the thing went together. You just unscrew the ring, take out the reflector and bulb, and drop in the new unit. The trick is to then put the existing clear lens back into the black bezel, then drop the supplied white rubber ring behind the lens and screw the whole thing together. The white ring applies a nice pressure to the LED module, keeping it connected to the bulb contacts in the back, and keeping everything from shaking (reference photo below). Install takes all of 2 minutes.

Out of curiosity I busted out the security torx driver, opened up the head, and took some measurements. My gently used, 2 year old Ni-Cd "XRP" battery showed 20.68V fresh off the charger, and 20.01V two days later. After a little use with the old bulb I did the following measurements and took all the pictures. With the existing incandescent bulb I measured 19.05V and .597A for a power draw of 11.4W. With the new LED module the numbers are 19.14V and .307A for 5.9W.

I like the light output of the LED. The center of the beam is a little brighter (hard to judge) but the center "spot" is much larger, the transition to the outside 'fill' light is much softer, and there is much more light outside of the central beam. I haven't used it in the shop yet, or under the car, but everything points to much better results. Having half the power draw will be nice not just from the longer run time, but from not having that much heat right next to my head - the normal bulb is pretty toasty.

Images below were captured with the same settings, ISO 200, f/7.1, 0.5s. The only difference is the white balance, which I left on Auto.

IMG_8011.JPG

IMG_8031.JPG

0.5%2520inc.JPG

0.5%2520LED.JPG

Full Size Images - https://picasaweb.google.com/103730272851707372536/Ledlightsum12Keith?authkey=Gv1sRgCOvShoblgoKlBA#

Last edited:

Racer

Enlightened
Good post, uberthin - thanks for the info and those photos. I've been debating about upgrading mine for a while. The batteries are so expensive though. Home Despot has them for $50 a piece when you buy two, and I can get the clones off the Internet for about $35. So, it's not my favorite form factor, but it's hard to argue with the cool factor :)

Does anyone know if they make a conversion kit with a Cree emitter? Maybe an XM-L?

Dew73

Newly Enlightened
Just got my fusion 48.....Awesome!! Does anyone know if they make one for the similar craftsman 19.2volt C3 line flashlight the head on that light is an oval shape.

deklund

Newly Enlightened
Re2: dewalt 18v led conversion

Just got my fusion 48.....Awesome!! Does anyone know if they make one for the similar craftsman 19.2volt C3 line flashlight the head on that light is an oval shape.

Hi,

Can you please tell us where you bought your conversion kit from? I checked ebay and no luck. I checked Sino Union and they say they have a 100 piece minimum.

Thanks

Latest posts