Did I get Genuine, or Fake Panasonic 18650 3100's?

wildstar87

Enlightened
So I ordered these from DX. http://www.dx.com/p/genuine-panason...otection-board-green-pair-121444#.U_BWf01OW70

The batteries I received were measured at 3.9v, which according to the reviews on this, would indicate a fake. However, they look exactly like the pictures on DX's site, in the "initial" description, with the 3 pictures, with the last one on the right being in a clear plastic battery holder.

They do NOT however resemble the pictures further down, on the same page. Those have a different looking top, with a white ring, and different looking positive contact, and negative contact, with the raised bump, and no green shrink wrap around the edge of the bottom. I've even seen some pictures that seem to show the copper tape that goes down the side, to the protection board.

Mine do not look like this, and I'm wondering if I should send them back. I definitely don't want an unknown generic battery, and I do not have a battery analyzer to test capacity.

Any help would be most appreciated!

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is really hard to tell genuine or fake by just looking at the battery, but the picture in DX site looks suspicious. I stopped buying in DX because of a similar reason, they used to be a honest small website with good selection of cheap lights, but now they have grown into a full size online store and they costumer service is so much worse.

If you can take pictures of your batteries it might help us to identify the cell.

And if you have a fully regulated light you can make a rough estimate of the capacity by measuring the current draw, it must be done in medium mode so the current draw stays the same.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your obtuse comment does nothing to help the OP, it does not answer the OP's question.

To me it does to be perfectly honest,the op is obviously suspect in the goods he has purchased thus asking the question,i think we have read enough on here about dealing with certain sellers,many times we have all read about very late or non delivery,broken or not working on arrival.In my opinion only my obtuse comment makes perfect sense as a warning to others.

kj2

Flashaholic
Pictures on the webpage don't match either. The pictures below, look like the unbranded Panasonic I thrown away today (they were old ;) )
Before I tossed them, I looked at the protection-board and there where actual components on the pcb-board. But looking at the pics at the top of that DX-product page, I don't
see any add-on at the negative-end of the battery. So looking at the pictures given by DX at the top of the webpage, I doubt they're protected correctly. Cell(s) look genuine though.
But as stated, it's safer to order at a known reputable seller/dealer.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
mcnair55, don't argue with a moderator or administrator in an open forum. Please review CPF Rule 8, while you are on vacation. Your know where it is.

Bill

markr6

Flashaholic
LOL you guys crack me up!

I noticed one of the reviewers said they received several fakes. On another note, other than the flashlight I find it funny that these cells won't work in any of the photos they show under applicatons. I don't think that little toy helicopter would even get off the ground with the weight of 18650!

I've personally never seen these before; only the one's you mention with the white ring further down.

ven

Flashaholic
Would it be possible the cells are genuine but the pcb and wrap is from a different company..............this may explain why the cells look different to others.

Just a thought:)

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
......The batteries I received were measured at 3.9v, which according to the reviews on this, would indicate a fake........
The ideal long term storage voltage is lower than 3.9v so not sure that is a good metric for determining "fake" cells.

wildstar87

Enlightened
The ideal long term storage voltage is lower than 3.9v so not sure that is a good metric for determining "fake" cells.

Not sure I understand what you mean here. It's been indicated that the genuine cells are around 3.6-3.7v, so that would be lower than 3.9v.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess what I meant was there is nothing wrong with a cell at 3.9v since its range can be from 2.5 to 4.2v. I haven't tested enough brand new cells to know the consistency of where the manufacturer leaves the voltage at. Maybe that is why someone suspected that they weren't genuine because 3.9v typically isn't where the manufacturer leaves new cells charged at?

If you are worried and have the option to send them back maybe you do so just for peace of mind. On the other hand if that doesn't work, test them to see if they perform as they should. If you wanted to sacrifice one of the cells you could unwrap it to unveil what the cell is underneath. At that point you will end up with an unprotected cell unless you can wrap it again. I think there is a thread on CPF explaining how to re-wrap cells

Most of my 18650 cells are just the raw panasonic cells without protection, but I'm careful to never discharge them too far. What I have found out is that most flashlights dim before you get to the critical low voltage and that pretty much clues you into the fact that its time to recharge. Of course those flashlights need to support flat top cells in addition to button top.

Last edited:

leaftye

Newly Enlightened
Off the top of my head, I think the highest initial voltage I've seen is 3.88V, and the lowest might have been a little below 3.6V. Of the four being tested simultaneously right now, the highest was 3.87V. That's only of batteries that have been sent to me for testing.