Digital Night vision system "SuperVision"

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
sircumstemalot said:
hey guys, you may want to look on the yahoo board as there are a few posters that have actually bought a unit, and its a game changer....its just like the video.......

and whats even better is that management is talking to several companies to license the technology for a military version....could be ITT... goodluck with it...
Welcome sircumstemalot to CPF. Could you please post a link to the posters that have actually bought a unit, as I'm having difficulty finding them.

Thanks!

terranaut

Newly Enlightened
since its been a couple weeks since the last post, im wondering if a group buy is on hold until a review is linked in this thread, so we know if it really lives up to its claims?
just wondering because i would probably be interested too, if it got good writeups.
thanks
gg

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thread got quiet as we wait for new info. I think we're all on the fence now wanting to see a detailed independent review. Nothing new on the night vision forums, but in time we should have answers. I don't mind waiting.

max52

Newly Enlightened
I am watching the Supervision development closely. It generally appears to be an evolution of the NiteMax device. I do not think it can be directly compared to Gen 3, or Gen 4 night vision technology.

Gen 3 Ommni V intensifier tubes generate 64 lines per millimeter of resolution passively. Generation 4 tubes are up to 72 LP\MM of resolution. Supervision appears to more of an "active" system, in that it would have to use An IR light source in the absence of ambient light. This is because it uses a sensitive CCD. This is not to say that Gen 3, or Gen 4 devices do not include IR illuminators. When you turn it on, you light up like a christmas tree to others with NVGs.

This is fine, as long as the user does not require stealth. The IR light source would be highly visible with passive night vision. For wildlife observation it would be great. I may even buy one, after reading an actual review. I will also not throw away my Gen 3 equipment, as I do not think Supervision is in direct competition with passive devices.

Invader_ZIM

Newly Enlightened
From the video, I noticed that there is always a light source from city or street lights, but from what the one gentleman KOBUMIKE describes on the yahoo forum, the device under very dark starlight conditions seems to slower it's shutter speed in order to collect more light. This causes a lag in the image from the increased exposure time. I think this device is passive, but from what I'm reading the darker the nighttime conditions the longer it's lag in presenting an image to the viewer. So it's not a true "real time" system like an image intensifier.

Still on the fence waiting to see more info and reviews.

max52

Newly Enlightened
Invader Zim

Is it your understanding that the Supervison does not include an IR illumination source. That would be unusual, as even Gen 4 scopes have IR illumination capacity.

With my Gen 3 PVS-7, and PVS-14, in a very dark room with almost no ambient light, the IR light source in not necessary. There is a direct coorelation between the sensitivity (quality) of the intensifier tube and the need to use IR.

I understand that the Supervision uses digital processing with a very sensitive CCD. At some point I can't belive an IR illumination source would not be required.

Invader_ZIM

Newly Enlightened
Hi Max,

That is my understanding, which is why the system has me so interested. If you noticed in the video, there's no telltale signs of an active illumination source being used. And the numerous photos of the unit show no signs of an LED illuminator or claim that it has one. Also, the specifications for the unit on the website claim minimum scene illumination of .0003 lux, which is equivalant to starlight conditions according to other CCD camera vendors. I would like to see a comparison of this unit in a non urban environment, with no streetlights and only starlight for illumination to see the difference between this CCD technology and Image Intensifier for a true test of capability. The FAQ also says the unit needs some light to work, so an IR illuminator would be needed as some point, but it seems to be a different way of "intensifying" or enhancing light compared to a tube system.

Update, there's a new video at their website here: http://www.xenonics.com/

SuperVision video here in larger screen format: http://www.xenonics.com/SuperVision/

Last edited:

nc987

Enlightened
Hearing that they are coming out with a system that allows to capture pictures and have a video output is almost worth waiting. I really want one of these, but I would like to hear more from someone with a independant viewpoint and not xenonics themselves.

Invader_ZIM

Newly Enlightened
AzGB, great to hear. Glad to get a candlpower member that can get some hands on experience with this device. Really looking forward to hearing more about it and seeing some photos.

nc987

Enlightened
Awesome! Finally a CPFer will be testing one of these out. Looking forward to what you have to say about it.

AzGB

Enlightened
Just checking back in to say that I haven't forgotten the Supervision report. We're expecting our shipment this week, as soon as they arrive, I'll begin a little T&E session. Also, I'm heading out into the great outdoors sometime in the next few weeks for a large session of minigun fire. I will definitely be bringing a Supervision for some night work while we're there. Through-the-lens photos in an urban environment are nice and all, I'd rather shoot pictures under starlight only conditions.

Invader_ZIM

Newly Enlightened
Sounds Great AzGB, great to hear your planning to test the system under some very dark environments, as well as providing some photos. :)

paulr

Flashaholic
I'm reasonably receptive to believing the claims. I've heard from trustworthy sources that consumer digicam ccd performance has gotten close to the quantum limits and that they are limited basically by photon (shot) noise. That is, they are at the physical limit of low light performance and nothing can do any better, type iv intensifier tubes or anything else. That combined with digital processing to clean up the noise should give better results than an intensifier tube ever could. See:

http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail//does.pixel.size.matter2

for stuff about digicam ccd's.

AzGB

Enlightened
We received our first shipment of 4 about an hour ago. One is already sold. I've already been to our basement for a quick photoshoot test. Here's the description of the environment: Completely dark sublevel, no lights turned on, only ambient light is coming from my EDC (SureFire KL4 with E2D strike-bezel, on a 1-cell VitalGear FB1 body) placed bezel down with light spilling out of the crenelations. The two photos below are shot from the same step-ladder at a shelf about 25 feet away. The Non-SuperVision shot is a 20-second exposure (ISO200, F/5.6), the SuperVision magnified shot is a 1/4 second exposure (also ISO200, F/5.6) manually holding the camera to the back of the lens.

I will be taking a unit home with me this weekend for more testing and pictures. If anyone has any questions, please let me know, I'll try to answer as best I can. So far, this seems like a pretty good system, we'll see what I can learn.

Test_NoNV_1_20SecondExposure_resize.jpg

Test_YesNV_1_QuarterSecondExposure_.jpg