Digital Night vision system "SuperVision"

J_Oei

Enlightened
What's the status of the group buy?

I read on the AR15 board that prices are already in the $1100 range.

Cranes Country Store

Newly Enlightened
I read on the AR15 board that prices are already in the $1100 range.

Without saying too much I can confirm that price range as being correct.

BTW, this is really a cool site! Once I figure my way around here I've got a few more things to toss out there......

someone said something about group buys and somewhere else I read something about specials for members here.....

hmmmmmmmmm..... being a dealer can be a good thing

:thumbsup:

Oh and since I don't see a welcome forum for newbies I'll just say hello to everyone right here!

Hi Everyone!!!! It's nice to meet you!

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent review by Victor on ARFCOM. The gist of it is that the CCD technology is no competition to a Gen III intensifier. Frame rate is the killer for me. 200ms is a lot of frames to lose and interpolate between. Might as well use a Sony nightshot type of camera. I'm kind of dissapointed since I was ready to dump my Gen III for the CCD. I think I'll hold on to it for a little longer until the technology matures a little more...

Edited to add: I think if the price drops substantially below $1k, it may have a place for recreational users. Otherwise, a Gen II intensifier may still be better.

Last edited:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review! In weighing the +'s and -'s of CCD over image tubes I'm inclined to wait and see if the technology continues to improve. I'd like to have a model that can do 30 frames per second.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you need passive IR, probably just get a Sony Video Camera with NightShot (or equivalent) + an IR camera lamp. Costs less plus you have video recording and a new general purpose video camera to boot.

Another problem with the slow shutter speed is that the SV unit (or any camera with slow shutter speed for night use) must be tripod mounted... Any little vibration (let alone a large motion to scan the scene or a running figure) just blurs the image into uselessness.

-Bill

Invader_ZIM

Newly Enlightened
It was a very well done review. I'm going to hold off too on purchasing the SV, it's minimum focus distance of 20 feet, and low framerate are what kills it for me.

hnoppenberger

Newly Enlightened
This is a toy. interesting technology but It by no means replacing standard tube units like a pvs14.
however, still cool. if you just looking for a toy i recommend saving alot of money and just getting this:
sightmark wraith dvs14, its a digital imager just like the supervision at way less of a price, and will give you similar performance.

CuriousOne

Enlightened
Unaware of this particular invention, I went almost similar way by myself.

I've purchased 1/3 BW CCD module from Sony. Carefully unsoldered the sensor from main PCB and placed it on peltier cooler system (-45C). airtight sealed and equipped with older, uncoated optics. Placed some silica gel in assembly. Tweaked amplifier circuitry to boost the signal level to the max (disabled AGC). I got pretty close to Gen.1 NVDs, with the total cost of under $50. Sure, power consumption was much more (5.2A @ 12v) but it was still fun.

firelord777

Enlightened
PVS-14s are military issues NODs, from the looks of the supervision, it doesn't exactly seem weapon mountable nor helmet mountable. But it does offer an alternate technology, much like making pictures seem brighter by prolonging the time the shutter is open.

I still think its a bit overpriced, though I might be wrong. There is a Night Owl Gen 20/20 or something like that, it operates on the same principle, but it's only $400 and has more "features" I guess.

I saw a brief review comparing this and a PVS, the PVS won I think.

Cheers