Disaster Light for Emergency workers

medicjim

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks... I'm a veteran firefighter / medic nearing retirement and looking for a little advice. I've been asked to design a kit that each rookie firefighter will be issued to get them through a 3 day op where NO support or resupply will occur. Imagine an engine crew responding to a collapsed structure in the middle of a large event like an earthquake or major storm... 5 crew to do what they can with an overwhelming localized site... no power, no food or water...no help at all.

The kit will be cost constrained (say maybe $250 each kit) and obviously weight is a factor. What would be a good solution for lighting for the three overnights? Assume at least 2/3 of the night will be active operations (3 days x 10 hour night x .6666 = 20 hours runtime at the absolute minimum).

Many of us already have the streamlight survivor LED lights with 4 x AA battery setups... this light offers a moonlight mode that can achieve this duration, but lighting is minimal and I'm exploring options... anxious to hear your expert input.

Thanks!

Jim

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something like the peli 3315 gives you well over 100 lumens for about 20 hours (rated 19 hours on their website). Runs on 3x AA and not too expensive and heavy. Hi vis too. Id say its ideal? In your situation I would imagine something simple is best. on/off. I havent seen a runtime test of this light so I dont know if it just cuts off after 19 hours or if there is some taper of if the claimed runtime includes the taper. I dont think its gonna stay at 130 lumens for 19 hours. 3 Spare AAs are easy to carry if need be.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The candella of the light would be pretty important for best reach with the least output. And definitely a backup light should be considered. The higher the candella number the better it throws light forward.
Pelican and Streamlight both make great, dependable lights that run off double a batteries. The Pelican 2350 and 2360 make a nice 1-2 combo. Both are programable to start out on a nice low mode that is great for low light conditions with the option of high mode if needed. I have not kept up with Streamlight lately so cannot comment on their products.

I would also consider the 2 cell Maglite ML25 because it has a mechanical switch like their minimag and now has a low mode added, which appears nearly as bright as high but has a listed 72 hour runtime.

Whichever way you go, make sure to have primary batteries available so in times a rechargeable konks out the primary is ready to go. But if you opt for alkalines, keep those stored outside of the light(s). They tend to leak sometimes and render the light non operational if not caught early. Energizer ultimate lithiums are great, they work in temperature extremes and don't leak. But unlike alkalines they can be pricey.

Thank you for your service and best regards in training the next generation to not rely on a cellular phone for lighting. lol

Mr. LED

Enlightened
One thing is for sure, the energy source must be lithium primaries, either AAA, AA or CR123. The former two have 20 year shelf life and the latter, 10 (important for emergency kits because you never know when you'll need them). They withstand heat and cold, and pack a lot of energy.

The light must be reliable, because no re-supply is possible and it's a life and death situation, the last thing needed is a light crapping out in the middle of the night during work.
To top it off, the budget is limited. Would you have any idea how much of the $250 can be dedicated to the flashlight?

If I work on something in the middle of the night, I usually don't need more than 20 lumens, for example, changing a tire, fixing a car, shoveling snow, walking, these type of things. With some good headlamps on the market, they have a runtime of 20 hours on one AA Eneloop Pro, at 25 lumens. So my guess is to pack one lithium primary inside the light, and two spares, minimum. Lithium primaries are also the lightest batteries, so it helps with the final weight of the kit.

Also must be taken in consideration, if the flashlight has parasitic drain, which is common nowadays with electronic switches.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore MH12 v.2. Lasts 46 hours regulated at 55 lumens. That will give you your three days of light. It's 1200 lumens on high which is good for search and rescue. It lasts 8 hours at 300 lumens which will get you through most of a shift with a good amount of light. 1 lumen low lasts 1500 hours (over 2 months). If you're trapped, you'll be dead before the flashlight battery on low. It's usb-c rechargeable so you can charge it in the fire truck with a usb 12 volt charger. The only thing it doesn't have is a warm white beam which is better at cutting through smoke. Costs $80.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is weight really a big factor for an engine crew?
I guess that begs the question-what else is in the kit?
Are food, water, and medical supplies a given?
Do the guys' helmets allow for a helmet mount or strap?
Any kind of regs that have to be met for an issued light?
Are you wanting a replacement/spare firefighting light, or a rescue light for navigating and searching through debris, treating injured, stuff like that?

If the latter, a headlamp with a floody beam or some kind of beamfilter would be much better than a throwy light like the Survivor, which is actually going to suck for pretty much everything. Those pencil beam firefighter lights get a lot of hype, but nothing really cuts through heavy smoke or fog, anyway(you mostly just see a more distinct beam pattern...in the smoke).
A handheld or chest mounted light is also going to be constantly getting in the way or blocked if you're having to do actual work by it.

Perhaps take a look at 4AA headlamps that use a battery pack if you're locked into battery compatibility with what you already have.
With li-ions having become so commonplace, I'd be thinking 18650 all around, though. Batteries and chargers are inexpensive, unused batteries would only need to be checked and topped off once or twice a year, and a carrier with a few spares would allow plenty of runtime at reasonably high brightness levels.

Maybe a little Pelican case to keep it all in one place.
uH8EIyD.jpg

RamBull

Newly Enlightened
The Acebeam L35 is pretty awesome emergency light. It has 5000 lumens, sturdy, simple UI and even has moonlight mode. It usually cost $126 but current promotion ending tomorrow takes off $47 (code ACE470 one coupon per order so just make multiple orders), free shipping and no tax. You can purchase batteries from them which will add $20 but will make it easy to charge since it has built in USB-C. I use my own 21700 flat top Molicel p42A and Samsung 40t with no issues, but have a chargers charge them.

I would probably bring a headlamp as well and maybe a Zebralight H600Fd or Armytek Wizard C2 Pro Nichia (purchase from killzone and 10% coupon reddit). Both of them use 18650 battery. The Zebralight you have to purchase while the Armytek comes with one. That would push your budget closer to $250 a person. But you get one of the best headlamps and one of the best flood/throwers.

Last edited:

Niagara

Newly Enlightened
I get your criteria of 3 days. Other primary spec should include the 21700 High Drain rechargeable battery with spare should be one criteria IMHO for longest length power usage. That gives you, for slightly larger than 18650 size, a min. spec today of 4k mAh and at least 40 A.
[h3][/h3]You should also have something added to the kit spec, that makes it easily mountable to headband or helmet, as you dont optional have to be holding it in hand. A secondary red LED for nite to see and not lose night vision is important as is a moon light low power to see where your going, but not blind others.

Optics should be floody versus throwy. Micro USB recharging and ability to use optionally 18650 battery, a pair of CR123, or RCR123 batteries when you use an included battery adapter sleeve.

My humble pick would be:

Nitecore HC35 $100
Anker PowerCore 5000mAh External Battery with High-Speed Charging Technology, Power Bank $30
(2X) Sony | Murata VTC6A 21700
4100mAh 40A Battery $20
[h2][/h2]

fuyume

Enlightened
It's really kind of impossible to answer this question without knowing how much light is actually needed. The quick answer is that I'm very happy with my Fenix HM23. It takes a single AA battery, it's well built and comfortable to wear, and has an emitter with excellent color rendition, and a simple UI with three brightness levels. For extended operations, a pack of spare Energizer L91s will give you lots of runtime.

However, this might not be enough light for the task. Fenix quotes 16 hour runtime on 70 lumen Medium mode, but it gradually steps down over the course of the first hour, and it's difficult to read from the logarithmic chart they publish, but the true brightness is probably something like 10 lumens over hours 2-15. It costs $35 USD and weighs 43 g with no battery.

Unfortunately, this is the case for pretty much all lights, so the question you need to ask is, "How much light for how long do I need, and what am I willing to give up to get that?"

Just as a comparison, the Fenix PD36 TAC, their newest model, uses a 21700 battery, and will provide 10 hour runtime at 350 lumens with a flat brightness curve, or over 18 hours at 150 lumens with a flat brightness curve. That how much battery it takes to provide that much light for that long.

Fenix' HP25R v2.0 will provide similar performance, 8 hours @ 400 lumens or 24 hours @ 150 lumens, but its weight and cost is significant, $120 USD, 238 g including the battery.

In-between are other models, but personally, I would not discount the value of a flat brightness/discharge curve, and ignore claims of maximum brightness. Always look at the curves first.

Last edited:

fuyume

Enlightened
I don't think primary cells are necessarily a requirement for professional users, since professional users can generally be expected to have quartermasters whose sole responsibility is equipment maintenance, and can thus ensure that kits are fully charged and ready for use, and immediately replace any equipment that is not functioning up to specifications.

Primary cells are really more important for civilian users, whose need for such equipment is occasional, at best.

And, it probsbly should go without saying, but never rely on only one battery in a life-critical situation. Or really ever. Carrying a spare cell should be regarded as mandatory. You wouldn't go into battle with one magazine for your rifle.

3_gun

Enlightened
I'd look at a Fenix LD12. Main power can come from a 14500 for a max of 320L (150L otherwise) or powered by Li-Mh at 30L for 13hrs + 14500@ 30L for 9hrs get you over 20hrs w/one battery change. And that's not the low, 5L is for 50hrs with the 14500. Will also work with standard easy to find AAs. It has a reversible clip and just as important is IP68 rated for dust and water resistance. MSR is $50 and Fenix is known for discounting larger orders. Only thing missing is it's not rated for an explosive environment which might be needed by fire fighters

Fenix does make 3 intrinsically safe lights WF11e, WF30re & WF05e. All will meet your 20hr goal at one level or another & all are IPxx rated for dust/water
[h3][/h3]

Last edited:
I'd like to offer a companion recommendation. A three-day unsupported operation is going to induce fatigue in the crew; alertness and situational awareness will likely decline during that time. The on-scene crew is also likely to be dispersed at some point, making locator beacons a useful tool to quickly determine a remote team's location. Guardian Angel makes several models of really, really rugged emergency lights, some specifically for firefighters and other first responders. There are several lighting configurations to choose from, including a model featuring a flood light looking forward, and red flashing beacon to the read and sides; other models feature other solid and/or flashing colors, which can be useful in identifying separate teams. Given the nature of first responder operations, the beacons can be issued as additional kit to those who will be working independently, or in remote teams; not everyone will necessarily require one of these, but that's for you to determine. The website is found at www.guardianangeldevices.com.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll back up bkfixer. I think asking a AA based light to run for this long is counter productive and was not part of the requirements. You can't really go custom because of the type of ordering you'll be doing.
I think for the runtimes required, I'd recommend either a maglite ML50 3C or an ML300 which uses D cells. The D cells will give you longer run time but it will also make for a larger heavier light. Either one will give you the runtime that you need. And uses easily replaceable off the shelf batteries.
They will throw better and have more candela than any of the other lights mentioned as well. Which matters much more than overall lumens. And they're very reasonably priced and available from a mainstream, trusted company.

Candlestick

Newly Enlightened
Headlamp is way more useful imo and can be pulled out of the strap. Zebralight has been great. Headlamp and spare batteries in waterproof match cases.

Quoting Vicv... "I think for the runtimes required, I'd recommend either a maglite ML50 3C or an ML300 which uses D cells. The D cells will give you longer run time but it will also make for a larger heavier light. "

If you decide to investigate the utility of Maglite products, I recommend that you also test a Maglite model ML50L (a three-level, 2C-cell light). But instead of using two C cells, consider using a single 18650 lithium ion cell (or better yet a 21700 cell) with an adapter tube. This would give your teams a relatively inexpensive light with decent throw. Using 18650 or 21700 cells reduces the weight of the light vis-a-vis C-cells, and carrying an extra 18650 or 21700 cell or two in a dedicated plastic tube or other dedicated cell carrier would offer the extended run times you seek. The mode spacing of the ML50L is reasonable (approximately 100% / 30% / 5% spacing), allowing an appropriate illumination level to be selected based on the need, thereby conserving battery power. Finally, rechargeable 18650 and/or 21700 cells will likely prove to be more cost effective over the long haul. Adapter tubes for converting C-cell lights to 18650 and or 21700 cells as the power source are available from several online sellers for a cost of about $20.

I recommend that you test one or more of the recommended lights and battery configurations to determine what works best for you and your budget. And let us know what you ultimately decide.

medicjim

Newly Enlightened
Thank you everyone for your input. This is a disaster light for emergency services, so it will not be a common use device. The alkaline batteries we buy in bulk are low bid, complete crap, so the premise of a quartermaster showing up to save the day is a 'no-go'.

If we did explore the 21700 cells, what would be a good charger for them. We have a couple 1000 watt honda generators (inverter based) that we deploy with, so charging from 110V is somewhat practical. While the apparatus is running, an inverter is also creating 110V for our scene lighting.

Please recommend very long running 21700 based lights... intrinsically safe is not a big deal, as we continuously monitor LEL (lower explosive limits).

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad PALight / Safe-Light Products are out of business. They might have been useful.
What about the Streamlight PROTAC 90 X?

If I understand this would be a kit only used after a few days and everything else has been expended? A backup to a backup?
There will be food(Emergency rations?), water or a water filter, and then a light in this kit? I'm guessing you don't want to spend $100.00 on the light.

medicjim

Newly Enlightened
The standard fire requires that we deploy within minutes, operate at a high intensity for 2-8 hours, then take up and go home. We rely entirely on kit kept on the engine for our time in the field. This is our bread and butter op.

When a large area is impacted, such as a monster storm, wildfire or earthquake... there is no 'going home'... you are generally operating with a tiny fraction of the normal response headcount, you go for days without a break and there absolutely, positively is ZERO backup. I want the guys to have a bag at the ready, that they can grab out of a personal vehicle, that gives them the endurance to run beyond one shift, up to 3-4 days.

We have guys with the standard streamlight survivor and protac.. those are pretty common in the fire service. I was just exploring options and looking with an open mind to see if we are keeping up with technology. The 21700 cells seem like they would be the right energy source model for our needs, just looking to see if there is a torch that is modest in price and has a 'low' mode that will get into the 3 day runtime range.. and I guess we would want a charger at the engine as well to help keep cells topped up