Disaster Light for Emergency workers

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mean, a convoy m21 might fit the bill. I still think going rechargeable for this type light is a mistake. There are more important things than runtime. Do you really want chargers and extra cells in the field plugged into a generator? A 2 or 3 cell cr123a based light will be much better for standby use. And you can keep an extra change or two in each kit. They will last for 20 years just sitting there. A 21700 should be changed out every 5 years or so as sitting there at 100% capacity for years is hard on them. And rechargeables go bad just sitting there even when not in use.
I'm a big proponent in using rechargeable batteries for most flashlights. Especially things that you're going to use regularly. But these are back up emergency lights and should use emergency batteries.
That's my $.02

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore MH12 version 2 I recommended has built in usb-c charging. Just get a 120 volt to usb plug and you're good to go. I recommend getting one that has 4 or more usb outlets so you can charge multiple lights off of one ac outlet. The light will also run on 2 123A lithium cells with the included battery adapter sleeve if long term storage is an issue. The light has springs on both contacts that is not only good to protect the battery against drops, but allows cheaper unprotected 21700 cells to be used (less cost for spare batteries). So you know, there are brighter lights, but they have high/turbo settings that last mere seconds and can heat up a lot, which you may not want near combustibles. The brighter the light, the less time it lasts on turbo, and generally the more expensive it is.

LEDphile

Enlightened
Instead of asking your team to use different gear in a disaster situation than what they use day-to-day, why not have the "extended operations" kit be spares for the primary lights your team already uses? If your existing lights can take AA NiMH cells and you have access to power, the spares could be as simple as a full set of charged LSD NiMH batteries (e.g. Eneloops), plus a charger (if you don't have one elsewhere). If you want to add in a spare light, I'd go with something compact (maybe a headlamp) using the same batteries as the primary lights, with a full set of spare batteries for it as well.

My take on this is that in a disaster situation where folks are likely sleep-deprived, you want to keep things simple and make it possible to rely on muscle memory as much as possible, And in that sort of environment, I'm not sure I'd worry about the time required to swap batteries in a light - I'm sure your crew member would also be happy for a short break at the same time (perhaps to hydrate?).

fuyume

Enlightened
The Fenix HP25R v2.0 is advertised to run at 50 lumens for 54 hours or 150 lumens for 24 hours on a 21700, and it has integral USB-C charging.

pumps

Newly Enlightened
As a veteran firefighter also I would like to hear what you end up getting and why. Also what else is in your kit. I'm also nearing retirement next June when I'll have 32 years in that crazy job.

thala

Newly Enlightened
No power supply and the forever illumination only Betalight can offer

fuyume

Enlightened
BTW, my grandfather was a Battalion Chief in the FDNY, so I definitely appreciate the work firefighters do.

WJA

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate LEDphile's perspective on this topic, where you rely on the same gear you're used to using and carry a set of batteries for extended use. Further to this point, when I need extra batteries I usually carry them inside an inexpensive but functional torch (or two). The batteries are protected, can be swapped into my main light source, and I get extra redundancy out of the deal. For me the extra cost is not an issue, and the extra weight is negligible. Just make sure the spare torch has no parasitic drain and can be locked out.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
Instead of asking your team to use different gear in a disaster situation than what they use day-to-day, why not have the "extended operations" kit be spares for the primary lights your team already uses? If your existing lights can take AA NiMH cells and you have access to power, the spares could be as simple as a full set of charged LSD NiMH batteries (e.g. Eneloops), plus a charger (if you don't have one elsewhere). If you want to add in a spare light, I'd go with something compact (maybe a headlamp) using the same batteries as the primary lights, with a full set of spare batteries for it as well.

My take on this is that in a disaster situation where folks are likely sleep-deprived, you want to keep things simple and make it possible to rely on muscle memory as much as possible, And in that sort of environment, I'm not sure I'd worry about the time required to swap batteries in a light - I'm sure your crew member would also be happy for a short break at the same time (perhaps to hydrate?).

This would be my take on the situation as well. Nothing sucks like learning new equipment during an emergency. Especially if you have the muscle memory engraved in your brain. For your budget you could buy a lot a spare cells for the lights you have. Im actually surprised you don't already carry a good supply of the commonly used cells because they are one of the first things to go during a disaster. Even throw a few glowsticks in your kit to use as PML's.

Ive worked a few disasters and what Ive learned is AA and D cells are the first to go flying off the shelves. AAA celled lights don't last long enough and tend to fail fast leaving little reserve when they start to die. Rechargeables are great but you need to have a light were you can replace the cells and charge them separately outside the light. You also want a light that can use primary cells if no power is available. Cradle charging lights are no good to you when they are charging. Charge time vs run time is also a huge consideration. If your light needs 8 hours to charge then you are S.O.L when disaster strikes. Also make sure your crew's all use the same lights and the same cell format.

fuyume

Enlightened
Just announced. Fenix HM70R, non-remote 21700, USB-C charging, 206 g incl battery and headband, $100 USD