DIY - 17.5 MCP to H4 55w HID host conversion

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: DIY - 17.5 MCP to 55w HID host conversion

What batteries is it running on? The original ones that came in the light?

Yes the original 12v 7Ah SLA's, I hope to migrate to 12Ah's but size and space will be the determining factors! :D

Still the original 120w H4 pulled 10A @ peak so the 5.5A of the HID balast/burner configuration theoretically provides a longer run time (minus the startup draw), I can't actually confirm this because I never used it to it's full (continuous) capacity whilst in Halogen trim, however I have been getting around 40mins plus out of this HID conversion (constant usage), it is possible my SLA isn't in the best of health ;)

Pila_Power

Enlightened

So say 40 mins using a 12V 7.0 SLA - what do you suspect the 12V 12AH will offer?

I'm ordering a couple of the 12V12's from work today. They'll fit with some minor tweaking and dremmelling I'd say.

I kinda measured from the specs and it should be a close fit.

I'm also wondering from other threads I have read here recently about using Lithium cells instead to increase runtime and decrease weight.

Anyone care to chime in on this? Is the lithium expense worth it really?

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

So say 40 mins using a 12V 7.0 SLA - what do you suspect the 12V 12AH will offer?

I wouldn't care to speculate on that, TBH I was hoping for longer on the 7Ah SLA but the ballast/burner 'charging up' process consumes higher Amps than during normal usage, that is to say continuous usage with only the initial start up cycle will provide the maximum runtime :thumbsup:

I look forward to hearing the specifics on how you got on with those proposed 12aH's SLAs, as for Lithium-Ion cells they may be lighter and provide increased run times but... they have special needs in regards to charging, handling & discharging whereas the SLAs are far more forgiving (and cheaper) IMHO! ;)

Pila_Power

Enlightened

hehe cheaper still if you can get work to buy em for you ;)

Which reminds me - I was in there and I had forgotten to order them dang nyabbit!!

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
M@elstorm dunno how big ya 17.5MCP. I can fit a heavy 12v 12ah SLA no probs in my mega illuminator with room 2 spare :whistle: But lithuim is so much better, its criminal. I will never go back to SLA. EVER!!!!!

baxr6

Newly Enlightened
Could somebody please post a link to a relevant item as there are so many it's confusing, and the old link is non existent now.

KrisP

Enlightened
If you're referring to the HID kit, just search eBay for "55W HID H4 4300K" and you'll find various priced kits, we just bought the cheapest.

baxr6

Newly Enlightened
ok i found this one.It seems to have an extra box with it that maybe an igniter from what I have read, I assume its separate because it will not fit inside the slim ballasts?

ken123

Newly Enlightened
Hello, it's been awhile since i came back to the forums. Last week i did the same mod with a Autocraft 20 mcp spotlight, but the run time would only last 5 minutes before it flickers. It will last a good 5 minutes, after that 12.00v drains pretty quick to 7.00v and flickers. Once the load is off the battery jumps back up to 12.40v. The spotlight is the same as the one mention above, i'm also using the same 55w ballast and bulb. The boat's 125ah battery powers it good but not the 7ah sla, anyone know what I'm doing wrong here? Ballast input max draw is 10amp and normal run is 3.2amp. Could it be the ballast or is 55w and 10amp initial start up too much for the 7ah sla.

NJRedneck1986

Newly Enlightened
Dear M@elstrom

Could you tell me how long did it take you to charge the spotlight with it being stock? i recently bought one at a gsale and only got a charger. Does the charge light go off when the battery is fully charged? please help dont want to buy a new battery if its not the problem i charged it for 24hrs and it only lasted like 15 mins.thanks :)

Latest posts