Do any of you junkies have Surefire knives?

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really not sure how effective any hook would be on the cuffs. They are pretty tough and you don't want some detainee's shoulder separating before the cuff does. I prefer a nice smooth snip over any pulling or cutting action.

I never allow any coworkers to use knives on my detainees. I know it happens all the time to others, but it is dangerous for both the detainee and the officer.

Now that I think about it, my paramedic shears may be the best cutter. I'll have to try them.

carrot

Flashaholic
OK I don't know how many of you have actually handled the SF Delta but I can say from personal experience (the outdoors outfitters by me has EVERYTHING) that the Delta is a very good, high quality knife. I'll say it now, the fit and finish seemed right on par with my Chris Reeve Small Sebenza. Yes, that good. Now whether the design features have merit depends on the individual user, but I wouldn't knock on it for being made by Surefire. It had perfect lockup and silky smooth action and definitely seemed worth the high price. I would not buy one because its feature set is different from the sort I look for in an EDC but if I was looking for a similar feature set I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up.

TL;DR version: It's a good knife. Don't knock it for being a knife made by a flashlight company.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
They are what they are.

I do think some thought went into the designs. If you have one, you have a great, high quality knife, made with good materials.

Sure makes other things like silencers, tactical pens, and lasers. I give them credit for the knife effort.

I would like to just carry one for a week to test it out.

Frankly, in a way, I kind of want one?

kwkarth

Enlightened
They are what they are.

I do think some thought went into the designs. If you have one, you have a great, high quality knife, made with good materials.

Sure makes other things like silencers, tactical pens, and lasers. I give them credit for the knife effort.

I would like to just carry one for a week to test it out.

Frankly, in a way, I kind of want one?

I want one too, but that doesn't mean that it's the best way to spend your money. I have a Surefire pen, and it's not bad, but for the same money, there are a lot of alternatives available as well.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Now that I think about it, my paramedic shears may be the best cutter. I'll have to try them.

I was thinking about the different flex cuff styles and some are certainly beefier than others. Now that you mentioned the shears, I saw the guys down at the gun club using them during their training. I think you hit the nail on the head with that idea.

Punisher_nbi45

Newly Enlightened
I recently came into the surefire ew 09 edge.

I like the design philosophy behind it, but I'm reserving judgement until I can get to use it more.

It's my current edc, and so far, I haven't had any problems with it, although the modified spear point blade takes getting used to. The integral flipper/guard is a nice touch, though, since it bolsters your confidence that if the liner does fail, it would have to shear through that thick piece of metal before the edge ever reaches your fingers.

Will update you guys after Ive been able to thoroughly wring out this bad boy.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Delta looks pretty decent, but they look a bit to gadget like; I normally prefer my knife to be a cutting tool and use a multi tool for other tasks.

The prices and Surefire sticking to MSRP makes them unappealing as well.

I'll stick to Spyderco for folders and Bark River, Spyderco and customs for fixed blades.

Sverre

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the best of both worlds.

Surefire collaboration Light and Knife.

I have the Surefire Strider and the Surefire Emerson.

dsc0733bp3.jpg

dsc0725w.jpg

Recently I had a friend make me a custom kydex sheath for the Strider.

dsc2990d.jpg

There is one Surefire knife I would like and that is the old EW-01 alpha.

I like the look of the Surefire logo engraved in the handle

Punisher_nbi45

Newly Enlightened

dsc0733bp3.jpg

dsc0725w.jpg

dsc2990d.jpg

VERY NICE COLLECTION!!! I especially like the how you have your Strider set up with the custom sheath...very chic! I do have some questions, though - aren't you worried your knife may fall out, or is the fit really tight so that won't be an issue in case you have to engage in physical activity? And what type of bag do you have it set-up on?

QtrMaster

Newly Enlightened
Cool setup, but must be kinda heavy though. BTW love your surefire/knife combo collection.

SF knives seems kinda cool, but for those price I'll stick striders.

dsc0733bp3.jpg

dsc0725w.jpg

dsc2990d.jpg

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to wake up an old thread.
Just did some reading up on the Surefire EW-09 Edge and found this info over at a diffrent forum.

These are indeed a Steve Ryan Design.

The Surefire Edged Weapons Division consists of Director/Designer/Master knifemaker Steve Ryan, Jeff Halopoff (his knifemaking apprentice for nearly 5 years and shop foreman) and two assemblers. Surefire knives are proudly made by Americans in Fountain Valley, California, USA of American made parts and materials.

The assemblers and Jeff Halopoff finish, fit and assemble each knife. Jeff inspect`s and sharpen each knife. In the rare case that your knife requires repair, Jeff is the one who will repair, refinish and resharpen it.

I have not yet found a negative about this knife that will make me not want to buy it. And i think it is a good price for a very well made knife.

Did i mention i want a Surefire Knife bad?
Well i do :nana:

They did have a relationship with knife maker, Steve Ryan. I am not sure that relationship is still intact.

I met Ryan at a knife show years ago, when SF announced the knife addition. He seemed to have an attitude.

He was the designer, and I think he licensed the designs to SF?

That's all I know.

Meganoggin

Enlightened
I had the chance to meet Steve recently, he showed me all the Surefire knives and spoke at length about the design influences and why he chose certain features and steels. He is a very knowledgable guy and it was great to hear him discuss his knives.

I too am looking to buy a Surefire knife now!

CLHC

Flashaholic
I've had this SureFire since its first release back in 2006(?) if memory serves me correct.

SureFireEW04_iii.jpg

SureFireEW04_ii.jpg

SureFireEW04.jpg

It's been my EDC till this day. To me this SureFire Delta FCUK has been a very practical tool for my day-to-day work purpose. Of course Your Methods May Vary accordingly so.

Enjoy!

0dBm

Newly Enlightened
Functionally, I am certain that Surefire folding knives are fine. I don't know that much about them; however, based on the engineering and manufacturing of their flashlight products, I am also certain that they are of parallel quality.

With respect to aesthetics, I equate Surefire knives to the selected works of Gil Hibben; too many seemingly extraneous curves and unnecessary angles. I never warmed-up to any of them in the same manner that I never appreciated the redesign of the various combat lights.

mr.squatch

Enlightened
I finally picked one up on a local forum. To say their knives are overpriced and overrated is to completely ignore their line of flashlights :p I got it brand new in box for $200 which was only achieved by talking four other people into a five way trade :D It's excellent, far better than my expectations. I've only carried it for a couple days, but I expect to severely abuse it, and it would appear it will take what I can throw at it. For $450, no thanks, for what I paid, yes please!

sfk.jpg
[/IMG]