Do flashlights have shelf lives?

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How long will flashlights last in storage?

Ultimate failure would most likely be the inevitable degrading of solder alloy connections.

This is a matter of temperature and atomic diffusion / kinetics - grain growth, dislocation consolidation, and crack propagation.

I expect that current failure rates will be elevated compared to old data from the mostly-discontinued lead-tin solders.

-----

We had a thread on this topic recently; if someone would be so kind as to find it, I would be happy to do a thread merge.
Thx,

My wife complains about my crack propagation all the time (-;

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nothing lasts forever, even diamonds slowly turn to graphite.

In seriousness of human applicable lifespans. The LEDs themselves should be good for a couple of decades, with reduced efficiency and output over time with exposure to humidity and heat. The need for anything but a direct off the battery build to have a driver board with a microprocessor for controlling the circuit means that the quality and construction of the driver will greatly affect its lifespan even sitting unused. Most of the solid state components are pretty reliable if they are of good quality to begin with and are properly soldered to manufacturer specs, with caps being a problem child, but I don't think the electrolytic caps that cause trouble are typically seen in flashlight drivers.
So initial build quality and design of a driver aside, long term the weak links might be the flash memory of the microprocessor containing the firmware, and thanks to RoHS the wonderful invention of lead-free solder which is more prone to tin whiskers over time, causing dead shorts between components on the board.

Seals are a consumable item and should be replaced periodically when they show signs of deterioration.

The flashlight hosts themselves, a titanium host is essentially impervious to the environment in conditions that are hospitable to humans. Aluminum with an anodized coating that is intact lasts decently well, though oxidation of electrical contact surfaces needs to be cleaned since the oxide is an excellent insulator.

nbp

Flashaholic

If you really want to keep a flashlight a long time, buying something from guys like Thetasigma above, McGizmo, Okluma, etc. are about as future proof as it gets. They make outstanding products that are easily serviceable. Things like switches, lenses, seals, even the light engines can be removed and replaced. And the hosts themselves are almost indestructible. Mass produced products where things are crimped, glued, etc. and cannot be easily fixed will likely end up in the trash if they break.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

when you said 100 110 degrees inside , you mean Celsius or faregate?

mickb

Enlightened

If you are any kind of flashaholic at all you will keep buying new lights and are unlikely to wear out your lights quickly enough to ever use those NOS lights you have carefully stored. Haha. ;)

Im not any sort of flashaholic sorry. I am a dour, unimaginative duty user :)

mickb

Enlightened

Nothing lasts forever, even diamonds slowly turn to graphite.

In seriousness of human applicable lifespans. The LEDs themselves should be good for a couple of decades, with reduced efficiency and output over time with exposure to humidity and heat. The need for anything but a direct off the battery build to have a driver board with a microprocessor for controlling the circuit means that the quality and construction of the driver will greatly affect its lifespan even sitting unused. Most of the solid state components are pretty reliable if they are of good quality to begin with and are properly soldered to manufacturer specs, with caps being a problem child, but I don't think the electrolytic caps that cause trouble are typically seen in flashlight drivers.
So initial build quality and design of a driver aside, long term the weak links might be the flash memory of the microprocessor containing the firmware, and thanks to RoHS the wonderful invention of lead-free solder which is more prone to tin whiskers over time, causing dead shorts between components on the board.

Seals are a consumable item and should be replaced periodically when they show signs of deterioration.

The flashlight hosts themselves, a titanium host is essentially impervious to the environment in conditions that are hospitable to humans. Aluminum with an anodized coating that is intact lasts decently well, though oxidation of electrical contact surfaces needs to be cleaned since the oxide is an excellent insulator.

Thanks for the great reply. So are their estimates of the lifespan of firmware and lead free soldier? Is anything old enough to be failing yet?

mickb

Enlightened

And great thread merge. Thanks for finding the big one and for the admin merging my little thread with it. A lot of good information here.

mickb

Enlightened

when you said 100 110 degrees inside , you mean Celsius or faregate?

Im hoping you are joking :D

We use celsius but I convert for the large american audience on websites. For example last christmas it topped 46 degrees, which is about 115 F
.That was peak though, during the previous month daytime temps were 38-44 or so.

nbp

Flashaholic

Im not any sort of flashaholic sorry. I am a dour, unimaginative duty user :)

No matter, we can still convert you. ;)

We use celsius but I convert for the large american audience on websites. For example last christmas it topped 46 degrees, which is about 115 F
.That was peak though, during the previous month daytime temps were 38-44 or so.

When your blood starts boiling you stop caring about the longevity of your flashlights. LOL [emoji6]

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

no i was not.
my attic in the summer gets 60-70c, my sauna is about 80-90c, but can get to 100 and even more, hearing how hot it gets in AU sometimes in some places, 100-110c indoors isn't impossible,

mickb

Enlightened

no i was not.
my attic in the summer gets 60-70c, my sauna is about 80-90c, but can get to 100 and even more, hearing how hot it gets in AU sometimes in some places, 100-110c indoors isn't impossible,

Australia may get hot but not enough to leap frog from 'attic temps' to 'high sauna temps' . Saunas do that with a major heat source, they also keep humidity extremely low which is the way to survive it at high temps, and also the 100degree guys only spend minutes in there. I did specify when I said 100-110 the 'inside' temps last for 2-3 months. If any of our homes, attics, basements, sheds could duplicate 100-110C(212F-230F) air temps, we would have a summer death count matching the black plague. I'd die just trying to get my flashlight out of storage.

Last edited:

DavidABQ

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if flashlights have shelf lives like some chemicals do but with technology marching forward they seem to have a practical shelf life before they are left behind.

mickb

Enlightened
I don't know if flashlights have shelf lives like some chemicals do but with technology marching forward they seem to have a practical shelf life before they are left behind.

Lumens output marches forward, battery tech didnt keep pace. There are some of us happier with the duty/military level specs, where lumens are lower and match battery capacity better.. The reason I started this thread(one of the two that were merged here) was regarding storing lights before the models all get a 4000 lumen turbo and programming I dont need.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Very interesting thread here !

lovecpf

Does potting the electronics help to extend the life
of solder and components ? ? ?

Just wondering . . . . .

archimedes

Flashaholic
Very interesting thread here !

lovecpf

Does potting the electronics help to extend the life of solder and components ? ? ?

Just wondering . . . . .

Most of the failure modes discussed here in this thread (well, these merged threads) involve components degrading over time.

Electronic potting compound is beneficial in stabilizing fragile components and connections from physical impact / vibration / drops / etc.

It would not necessarily help much with "time-related" deterioration in stored / unused items, although it might limit effects of environmental extremes (such as temperature, humidity, corrosion, etc)

It would, however, make repair or replacement of individual parts more challenging.

Last edited:

mickb

Enlightened
Thanks archimedes.Potting compound would probably actually buffer against temp changes then.
On a barely related tangent I got an old short wave radio out of storage in 2015, which I used to own as a kid in 1982. First time used in about 30 years and it would not turn on. Could have been anything, I didnt consider myself expert enough to try and figure it out.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

Most should last more than 20-30 years without any issues. I have unpacked a Surefire A2 recently and it sat in the original packing for maybe 15 years, it worked on first press on the included original batteries! Most of the integrated circuits components are solid state and will last many years, the first thing that goes bad are usually capacitors because they contain chemicals that degrade over 10-20 years, but flashlights I think do not use these types. Rubber seals will degrade but these are standard size and cost cents. But even these will be fine after 20 years if not stored in high temperatures. Plastic will get brittle after many years. Storing them in cold and dry places will greatly prolong their life expectancy. But overall do not care about this too much, these items will probably outlive you (or your interest in flashlights), unless it's some very rare and of historical value.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very few flashlights have electrolytic capacitors.
Lots of mlcc and tantalum.
Quality of contact plating is #1 concern.
And aluminum against anything else is always problematic.