Do you like infinite variable output or preset modes?

Do you prefer Infinite Variable or Preset Modes?

• Infinite Variable

Votes: 35 48.6%
  • Preset Modes

Votes: 37 51.4%

• Total voters

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The point is moot. If you know how much runtime per setting you will get how do you keep track of the runtime? That is the problem with all long running LED lights that run under regulation. You don't know how much time you have left in the cell(s). Regardless if it is a set output or a variable drive.

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
The point is moot. If you know how much runtime per setting you will get how do you keep track of the runtime? That is the problem with all long running LED lights that run under regulation. You don't know how much time you have left in the cell(s). Regardless if it is a set output or a variable drive.

I dont quite follow. If your in a situation where runtime is critical I think it would help. For example lets say you get lost or something on a hiking trip in the mountains and your trying to get back to civilization. Lets say you've got a ZL H51 on your head with a 2000mAh eneloop. The lowest you could safely navigate rough terrain is med1 (30 lumens) and ZL rates it at 9hrs. You have one fresh eneloop in your pocket that your Lacross or Maha said was charged to 2000mAh. So if you turned it on at 9pm to try and hike out overnight you'll know it should last until 6am, when the sun comes up. Thats pretty straight forward. Lets say your further in the bush and it will take severak days to get out. If you limited your light usage to say 2hrs a night, then you would know each batterey would be good for 4.5 nights. If it were that critical you could accurately track your on time just using the stopwatch feature on your watch or phone. If you were using IV and set it around 45 lumen (you wouldnt know its exactly 45) you would cut a considerable amount of time (50%) and could leave you stranded in the dark in the mountains. Playing devils advocate its also possible that you might have set it around 20 lumens which could help your run time too, depending on the efficiency (did someone say IV on low power isnt as efficient?). Thats an extreme case, but just something that comes to mind.

To me the whole point of IV is to dial down the lumens to the minimum you need. Then you benefit from longer runtimes than if you had just the factory presets. I don't know of any lights that offer 30 and 10 Lm. Mine typically go 600/200/50. Maybe that's why we feel differently about IV. :)
Plenty run down that low, or lower, down into <1 lumen (moonlight mode).

Once you start getting over say 500 lumens though, maybe the IV would be better since that is such a range.

I think either would be ok, dual would be cool too. I think the bigger deal is the interface, and if using a preset light then the proper spaced levels.

Last edited:

warmurf

Enlightened
I've got 2- a VARAPOWER2000 and a custom built 6 x XML by Vestureofblood. Love em both. Very useful as you can crank it up or pull it down within a second. Very useful with high powered lights as well, as these 2 are 2200 & 4000+ lumens a piece.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to like a light where I can control the output so initially I though IV was the way to go. Now I preset (for the reasons already mentioned) as long as the presets are well thought out.

The only lights I have where the levels are well thought out to the extent that IV would be unnecessary are my Zebralights. I like the UI on them.

I have several lights with IV in the form of ramping and that's better than have poorly thought out presets but it's slower and I don't know what output it really is.

I don't have a IV ring controlled light. I do have a dive light with magnetic ring control for 3 levels. I like that for that application.

Really it's hard to beat Zebralights UI with 3 settings and then double click in each of those setting for a total of 6 settings. Most levels are 3 times greater than the previous which is what it takes for a noticeable difference. You also need a great range including low levels.

Last edited:

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got 2- a VARAPOWER2000 and a custom built 6 x XML by Vestureofblood. Love em both. Very useful as you can crank it up or pull it down within a second. Very useful with high powered lights as well, as these 2 are 2200 & 4000+ lumens a piece.

:confused:

Just wonder why must you know the output and the runtime,
lumen is just a number and runtime just varies as different batteries
even though the light may be rated at XX lumens for YY minutes
We wont even know how this relationship comes,
Which brand of battery? Capacity? Temperature? New battery? Calculation method?
Afterall, the runtime isnt really a problem unless you are really short on battery
Trust yourself rather than the manufacter
Comfortable to eyes is FAR more important than messing with lumen

Yes, the brand of battery, capacity, temperature, etc does make a different in determining runtime, but if I used the same battery next time (I mark my eneloops), I know it gives me roughly the same like last time. But on the same battery, if I change the setting on my IV lights and I am not sure I can get back to the same setting as before; therefore my runtime may vary a lot.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had problems with control rings moving in my pocket always getting a slightly different output when I pull it out of my pocket. I sold my HDS Rotary to buy the 200T Clicky because of this problem.

However I recently bought a couple iTP SC series light's from a gun show and had fun with the IV and thought I'd give IV another serious consideration so this week I got a IFE2 and I should have the new Jetbeam RRT21 today.

Again just carrying it for a couple days I notice the control ring moves while the light is clipped in my pocket, maybe it moves as I pull out the light or while I clip it in idk but I don't like having to be that careful. Having said that IV control ring is really a lot of fun and I plan to carry the IFE2 in rotation, maybe I should holster carry a light with a control ring but I like pocket carry, I'll get my RRT21 today and see how it goes.

adnj

Enlightened
I like a variable for EDC. But for a work light, I always go preset.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess preset modes could let one know how much runtime is actually left, if only using one mode exclusively per battery swap, or by keeping some sort of log that documents how many minutes each mode has run for, then calculating what's left after the combined levels' usage time etc. ThoughI can't/don't bother to keep up with runtime even with single mode lights!

I lean toward preset, just to get a better idea of efficiency on medium modes (often I.V. lights just publish max & min specs). Then the only possible advantage after the purchasing decision is if the first preset mode is the one I use most often, & that's only if the I.V.'s aren't the selector ring + independent on/off switch style that you can leave on your preferred setting. Otherwise with low to medium modes anyway I.V. might allow one to compensate as the battery drains & just keep dialing up to maintain a more consistent output than preset modes. Guess I don't need it (would make an exception if s.f. fixed the T1A), so my real preference is Preset: single mode.

Last edited:

Napalm

Enlightened
Variable if it's done via magnetic ring.

If it's done via "ramping" then I'd rather have preset, please.

Nap.

BBL

Enlightened
Preset level: I get what i want, instantly.
Variable levels: I have to mess around until i found the level i want.

So, presets for me please.

AaronG

Enlightened
Variable ring is awesome. I would take a ramping light but the ring is better. As for the runtime, I'm never sure about how much time I've used on a cell anyway so it really doesn't matter. I've got a backup light on my keys and spare cells when I'm in a situation where my primary light has to work.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Preset level: I get what i want, instantly.
Variable levels: I have to mess around until i found the level i want.

So, presets for me please.
Youve messed up with em, its in reverse, you have to mess with preset level before you get the one you want
while infinite variable, simply twist the mag ring to ramp up or down

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find I can make due with either, my decision point is the UI. The UI that many preset lights use -- click (or turn) to a certain level (either hard-coded or memory-set), then off-on within a certain time to change levels -- that plain doesn't work for me and the way I use lights, so the considerable number of lights that use such a UI aren't on my radar.

But once I get a UI that works for me, I don't much care. I do love my first variable, the Sunwayman, but I'd buy a preset light in a heartbeat if I liked it. Regarding the general arguments one or the other, I find myself not all that finicky. I don't care if the preset level doesn't match *exactly* the amount of light I need, get me anywhere close and I'm happy, so that's not a huge argument for variable for me. And I don't keep mental track of how much time at each level, especially now that I've mostly moved to rechargeables, so that's not an argument for presets for me.

wuyeah

Enlightened
i always got this fear that infinite variable light or even multiple level selection light will break down easier than two stage light due to its complication and additional separated selection ring construction.
I don't data to prove two stage light actually last longer.

h_nu

Enlightened
The concept sounded good but in actual practice the ramp on my D10 was so quick that I have reverted to only using it in minimum and maximum modes. The selector ring method might someday draw me in if I see enough good reviews and praises. Maybe 3 or 4 fixed levels and runtime charts would draw me in. For now, I'll stick with fixed modes.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find I can make due with either, my decision point is the UI. The UI that many preset lights use -- click (or turn) to a certain level (either hard-coded or memory-set), then off-on within a certain time to change levels -- that plain doesn't work for me and the way I use lights, so the considerable number of lights that use such a UI aren't on my radar.

But once I get a UI that works for me, I don't much care. I do love my first variable, the Sunwayman, but I'd buy a preset light in a heartbeat if I liked it. Regarding the general arguments one or the other, I find myself not all that finicky. I don't care if the preset level doesn't match *exactly* the amount of light I need, get me anywhere close and I'm happy, so that's not a huge argument for variable for me. And I don't keep mental track of how much time at each level, especially now that I've mostly moved to rechargeables, so that's not an argument for presets for me.
Joe sums up my feelings on the subject pretty well. The UI is the critical point.

I don't like ramping UIs, most of them go to quickly for precise adjustment, but I do like the magnetic control ring on my NiteCore IFE2 exactly because it does allow for smooth and precise adjustment.

My favorite light is my NovaTac 120P, which lets me set all 4 levels to any of 22 known light levels. This allowed me to setup the light with the levels I wanted, and now that I have it set I generally don't change it, so I know my runtime on each level.

Of course remaining runtime wouldn't be so much of an issue if more manufacturer's would simply include a meter of some sort like I have on my AAA MJP Extreme.

And yes, the new HDS rotary seems to give the best of both worlds, allowing both quick and easy rotary control AND quick and easy preset access. Very cool!

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like both, but for different reasons.

The infinitely variable light really does let you tweak the brightness just for you task, but I do find I tend to let it rise higher than intended thus reducing battery life. Even though my V10R Ti goes really low, I find that I change the batteries more often than in my RaClicky.

With a preset mode you get some reassurance or exactly what what you get with each level and approximately how long each level runs for.

BigBonus

Newly Enlightened
I've got an infinite varable one. But honestly speaking I prefer preset modes. The attraction point is that preset modes makes me fell some kind of tempo when touching it. tick-tack I got light, and tick-tack changed to hightlight and back again. Would you agree with me that the switch also sounds awesome?
When I use IV light I can't find the tempo anymore. Its convenient supply lumens but nothing else than preset ones.