Do you own a light too nice to use?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to keep it mint, buy two. One user and one stays in the package ;) If you can't afford that, then put it in your bedside drawer for those things that go bump in the night. It'll hardly get used but be there when you need it. :D

If you can afford it get the ti version to sit on the shelf, then you'll be okay with taking the aluminum one out on the town :naughty:

SeamusORiley

Enlightened
I purchased a Sunwayman M11r Sirius light, this thing is beautiful. It was going to be my EDC light but I don't want to put a mark on it. Not sure what I am going to do with it, I love the light but I am not a collector. :thinking:

This reminds me of a guitar dealer who told me that he had an expensive Martin 42 guitar, with lots of special designs. He ended up selling it for the simple reason that he was too fearful of playing it and getting dings on it!

Last edited:

brianna

Enlightened
Use it and enjoy it don't worry about it. In 10 years time it will be so obsolete you won't even want to use it anymore. Things are meant to be used and life is meant to be lived.

BobG

Newly Enlightened
I do not own a single light that I don't use. My hang up is having too many shelf queen knives. For some reason my brain can not understand owning a flashlight that isn't used, but is perfectly fine with a dozen (or more) knives that never come out of the box. Each to their own I guess.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, I use all my lights. Some are sheer work horses that get beat up real bad. My TK41 and all my Quarks look very much used. My EDC lights have a few minor scuffs, and I have one or two lights for wearing with my suits. They are looked after like I look after my suits.

Other lights that don't get used often don't have as much wear for the simple fact they don't get used much. I'm never going to own a shelf queen. I don't spend more than $150 on a single light. If I spent $500 on a light I'd never take it out of my bedroom, so what's the point?

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
They were made to be used, so use it.
Like others have said, it will slowly become obsolete anyway, so might as well enjoy it.
I use all the things I buy that are meant to use. Watches, knives, lights, cars,jackets,...
If your going to keep something in the safety deposit box, might as well make it gold coins.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I must admit to having a few oldies that are left alone. Not that they're too nice to use. Just no reason to scratch them up at this point when newer lights work better.

Geoff

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I built a matched set of D2 and D3, in black HA. That was over a year ago and I still haven't installed a drop in, in either one!

LGT

Enlightened
I don't have any lights that I consider too nice to use. If a light can't handle the conditions under which I expect it to work, heavy snow or rain, being dropped or thrown into a pocket or tool bin, then I have no use for it. A few scratches or nicks don't bother me at all. On the other hand, I find noting wrong with wanting to keep a light in pristene condition. To each their own.:)

Last edited:

david57strat

Enlightened
It's impossible for me to imagine buying a flashlight, then never using it. I feel the same way about guitars (I've been playing since 1981). Guitars are meant to be played, not looked at lol. What's the point in owning one, and never playing it?

When I buy a light, it's so I can put it to use. I baby my lights (just the same as I do, any other valuable tools/instruments I own); but they definitely get use. That's what they're for (for me, at least) - not to just sit there and look pretty. By the way, in my opinion, they look a lot more amazing, in use, rather than just sitting on the shelf, or a stand, collecting dust.

Of course, opinions vary...

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
So would the OP SlipKid tell us what you feel now after reading all the valuable words of wisdom from fellow CPFers here? Do you feel the need to baby your light? Or do you now suddenly have the nagging feeling to just throw it into your pocket just like how I did all my lights, and start using it like how we all used ours?

Trust me. I was once like you. I used to baby my lights and not use them much, but when newer technology comes up the old got left aside. Use it and enjoy it as much as you could, and while you still could.

cyclesport

Enlightened
I agree with the use it camp...especially with a Ti light! Titanium looks great new and with wear and fast and easy to touch up and even change it from highly polished, to a brushed finish with a small piece of ScotchBrite. (Brushed Ti is my favorite since it gives a rich lustre and doesn't show finger prints, smudges, etc). Ti is a fairly soft metal and most mistakenly think its hard to maintain because of it's reputation of being difficult in fabricate. Ti tends to stretch away from the tool (high tinsel strength), and has to be kept free of oxygen when joining pieces togather and welded in inert gas to prevent becoming brittle, etc., however it's actually quite easy to maintain and/or change the finish, even for the harder 6al-4v alloy.

I've owned several Ti bicycle frames over the years (before carbon fiber dominated race frames in low weight) and I and others would regularly touch-up dings and scratches with the ScotchBrite method. Or for highly polished surfaces, some fine grit jewelers rouge and a Dremel tool w/buffing wheel can easily restore the surface making it look virtually new again. With patience, one can even repair deep scratches and gouges.

Kaban

Newly Enlightened
When I get a nice new expensive light I like to take 80 grit sand paper and scrub the entire anodized finish with it. That way I don't feel bad about scratching it later.

SlipKid

Newly Enlightened
So would the OP SlipKid tell us what you feel now after reading all the valuable words of wisdom from fellow CPFers here? Do you feel the need to baby your light? Or do you now suddenly have the nagging feeling to just throw it into your pocket just like how I did all my lights, and start using it like how we all used ours?

Trust me. I was once like you. I used to baby my lights and not use them much, but when newer technology comes up the old got left aside. Use it and enjoy it as much as you could, and while you still could.

Lots of good advice here..........I don't want to let the light just collect dust. However I think I will sell it and get something I will be more comfortable to use. The Sirius is a real nice light but too shiny and pretty for me to use everyday. I will hunt for another EDC light, the hunt is always fun.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go outside and drop it on the sidewalk. Then you can start enjoying the light and using it for its intended purpose. :)

Jeff

So true! I hardly used my EA4 (not that it's THAT nice of a light) until my wife dropped it on the driveway and scratched it to hell, now I use it a lot!

JCD

Enlightened
Go outside and drop it on the sidewalk. Then you can start enjoying the light and using it for its intended purpose.

I was glad when I first dropped (accidentally) my new C2-HA. I bought it to use. I also have an almost like new 9P that I plan to use daily. On the other hand, I have a NIP 9P, and a like new C3-HA and an E2d in similar condition. Although I bought all of them to use, I've also got a user C3-BK, so there isn't much need to use the C3-HA. I find the E2d to be too aggressive looking to carry most of the time. I might use the 9P, but I'll probably leave the other two minty fresh or close to it because their value is increasing. (Unless something happens and I need to use them, in which case I won't hesitate.) I like them, so I don't want to sell them, but I'd like to maintain their resale value in case I change my mind. Worst case is that I've got 2-3 new looking incan hosts in a few years.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
No real point in buying a light and not use it,if you feel like that why not just print a picture off and stick it in a scrap book and look at "your lights",would save you the expense of buying a shelf queen.

I do like the others do,just take care,it is the same for any of my edc,i just try to look after it.