Looking to upgrade from a Maglite, what do you use?

bridgman

Enlightened
Sometimes I wonder why we bother with standards :yellowlaugh:

You know the old saying... the great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.

1660858130013.png

(xkcd allows hotlinking but not sure if CPF does, but that's OK because I'm not sure if I ended up hotlinking or not)

The best I fear we can hope for is ad copy that says "1002 lumens" in 24 point type at the top in black and "per FL-1 standard - 37 lumens per <some other standard>" in 3 point type at the bottom in pale grey.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm certainly intrigued by the idea of running Li-ions in a Maglite as well, but couldn't find any adapter kits, not for the ML300L at least. If it really is tough as you say and the plastic isn't a problem, or can maybe be replaced with metal, converting one to run on 32650s or 32600s would be pretty sweet...
Seems like your main goal is higher capacity cells.
Since there is no good 32650 or 32600 cells in market, your next choice is
2P or 2P/2S M*glite with 7000mAh capacity and in this case you will have to transfer your LED tower.
Also if 7000mAh is still not enough, then Elephant II with 14000mAh is the only option.

bridgman

Enlightened
I hate to say it (understanding that you specifically did not want a smaller light) but I am increasingly convinced that the modern day equivalent to a Maglite is the SureFire G2X Pro.

15 lumens on low, 600 on high, decently neutral tint (when did this happen ?), CR123 primaries or (unofficially) 16650 rechargeable.

It is increasingly the light I grab whenever I need a flashlight for some random purpose.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
To me the G2x Pro was a grand slam. Never tried the 600 lumen version. The 320 was so bright I never saw the need to.
The low it starts on is like having a big ole 2c or 2d Maglite from back in the day. Maybe not the throw, but the amount of light is great for most uses.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate to say it (understanding that you specifically did not want a smaller light) but I am increasingly convinced that the modern day equivalent to a Maglite is the SureFire G2X Pro.

15 lumens on low, 600 on high, decently neutral tint (when did this happen ?), CR123 primaries or (unofficially) 16650 rechargeable.

It is increasingly the light I grab whenever I need a flashlight for some random purpose.
I disagree. Comparing the G2x Pro to a LED D cell Mag on the basis of lumens is like comparing a F250 to a Mustang GT based on horsepower - similar power but not built for the same purposes.

The modern successor to the old D cell Mags if you want to keep the general size and weight of the old Mags is the 4D ML300 running on NiMH D cells.

If you want something a little slimmed down while keeping the dependability and build quality that the old Mags are known for, get a ML150 Magchargeror a 3C ML50LX running AA eneloops or L91's in spacers or better yet a 21700 in an adapter.

bridgman

Enlightened
I agree with your disagreement in a sense (OP was pretty clear that they were looking for a Maglite-sized light, not something smaller like a G2X) but my thinking was more about the G2X Pro being a replacement in the sense of being rugged, broadly useful and at least somewhat domestically manufactured.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with your disagreement in a sense (OP was pretty clear that they were looking for a Maglite-sized light, not something smaller like a G2X) but my thinking was more about the G2X Pro being a replacement in the sense of being rugged, broadly useful and at least somewhat domestically manufactured.
I can see your point. Even back in the day many gave up their D cell Mags for Surefires and the trend towards smaller lights continues. But there is still alot to be said for a the simple dependability, form factor, heft and throw of the modern full size C/D cell Mags.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of C/D.. Has anyone complied a list of orings sizes?

Rather than spending 5 bucks for one Mag labeled oring wrapped-up nicely, when a bag of 10ea Nitrile (Buna-N) orings can be bought for less than dollar in most cases.

I know these early Mags are made in USA but they use metric size orings.

bridgman

Enlightened
But there is still alot to be said for a the simple dependability, form factor, heft and throw of the modern full size C/D cell Mags.
Yep... even today probably half of my flashlights are Maglites. I just wish Maglite shipped to Canada or we had an enthusiastic dealer up here - anything interesting or new typically comes at a high premium.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Anything interesting or new from Maglite? Ha, you aint missing much B. I'm a Maglite fan but be the first to admit, they are slow to change. Heck the MagTac2 was shown at SHOT show 019 and was finally released this summer for sale.

Latest posts