DrafterDan torch, model 12

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some progress, some setbacks. Seems like this is the path on this build. Have the 18350 battery tube internals finalized, and worked on the head.
I decided to do a removable bezel, because apparently I like to make things difficult on myself.
Mental note: when ID threading, make sure the bezel is firmly held by the chuck, or it will just unscrew from the body....

Bphe27.jpg

I left a good amount of threads, so I can determine just how deep the bezel cap will be. Ideally, not too inset to the face of the glass. I'll have a lens over the Carclo optics. I'll finish up the head next, and then do do a similar tailcap treatment. I liked how the Version 11 torch came out, so this will have probably brass on both ends.

HE v11 torch tailcap. A bit too deep, but it worked out well overall.
2cPSjD.jpg

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finished up the torch over the weekend. Still fiddling with the programming on the Dragon, but it's plenty bright and feels pretty good in the hand. Overall length is a bit less than 4" / 100mm.

5AKLcy.jpg

Vj6KFU.jpg

z7XZyi.jpg

I tried something a bit different. Set the mill at -15°, so the crenelations angle towards the lens.
9chH6J.jpg

I ran the final passes with the torch assembled, so it was as smooth as possible.
JacFhY.jpg
lwZd4E.jpg

I do feel a bit funny posting those lathe shots, since Tim M posted some wip shots on flashlight fanatics' facebook page. The lathe I use ain't pretty :)

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep the posts coming. I always do a final pass with everything assembled. The parting line almost disappears. Also you can turn a groove on the parting line , and it disappears completely.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some progress, some setbacks. Seems like this is the path on this build. Have the 18350 battery tube internals finalized, and worked on the head.
I decided to do a removable bezel, because apparently I like to make things difficult on myself.
Mental note: when ID threading, make sure the bezel is firmly held by the chuck, or it will just unscrew from the body....

HE v11 torch tailcap. A bit too deep, but it worked out well overall.

Hey! we learn as we go.

The light looks great!

I am working on a new module for an L5 and ended up reducing the OD to much and cut the top part off that would attach to the bottom of the L5. Doh! So now I have to make it again.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am working on a new module for an L5 and ended up reducing the OD to much and cut the top part off that would attach to the bottom of the L5. Doh! So now I have to make it again.

Yup, done that as well. my version was cutting a flat after some internal threading, and cut the tailcap section off the body...

nbp

Flashaholic
I'm surprised I never saw this thread before. I hunted it down after seeing a pic of Model 12 posted in Nitroz' thread. I really like the look of this light! I've grown to appreciate bare metal lights since I think they age more gracefully and I do favor 18350 powered triples, even if they are a bit ubiquitous right now. McG clips are the bomb and that brass cren bezel ring is really classy. Are you building these for people or is it just a personal project?

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks much nbp, I appreciate the kind words.
My life has been chaotic this year, job/ marriage/ house are all changing in a big way. I've not spent any real time at the lathe since early this year. I did like how this torch came out, but want to change things (as always).
The brass bezel was fun to to, but I want to make the threads much smaller, like 32tpi so that it doesn't have to be so deep. Interestingly enough, even though it's about a third of an inch deep, it seems to have no effect on the beam.
Plus, it turned out a bit too thick. I wanted some deep grooving, but I bet the same effect can be achieved with thinner walls.

This has been personal torches, I have sold some, but it's mostly for my own experience.
I've a chunk of aluminum bronze left, thinking about making a 14500 sized torch next.

YuZAak.jpg

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even though the bezel is thick I think that is one nice looking light!

I have plans one day to make my own light but with so many mods for Surefire lights and others, plus like you family, life, and home all seem to eat up every free minute. I am trying to bring my youngest son into the workshop to get him up to speed so he can help me manage all the request.

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks for the update DrafterDan. I definitely understand. Real life has to take precedence, and sometimes it saps some of the fun if a hobby becomes too much like a job. In any case, that's a great project you put together and if you need some "testers" down the road, let me know. ;)