Fancy 8" x 12" lathe?

wquiles

Flashaholic
Schaublin Precision Lathe/Swiss Made

I don't know anything about these, but it sure caught my attention for two things:
- it really looks very nice
- it "sounds" like expensive as the owner is asking $4500 for it.

Again, not that I am interested myself, but does anyone know anything about this brand and type of lathe?

Will

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will,

Schaublin is one of the most respected names of the Swiss manufacturers. High precision throughout and they do command high prices, both new and on resale.

Only 'problem' with that lathe is that is doesn't cut threads.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Schaublin lathes are amazing (really amazing) lathes, and they DO make versions that cut threads. These are generally in the watchmakers class - want to make parts to a tenth all day - look for one.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
BTW - You don't want to know what a 102 (which is probably what that used one is) cost new, particularly with things like the threading option

Fort the class of work that they are designed (R&D, watchmaking etc - tiny parts) they are pretty much the gold standard

I know someone who bought a used one with threading, and if I remember right, the USED unit ran him 5 figures

alexmin

Newly Enlightened
My neighbor has one. It is a little bigger though. 10"x something and weights probably 5 times as much as my PM12x36
He says it costs new around $100K

daytec

Newly Enlightened
i think...i know this is way outta topic.i have accessto acompatiable lathe at work....nice lathe but, not much tooling, iwould like to bore a 9p toa 18650...do i leave a LE lip?and how much?..belive it or not i know more about is machine than anyone kinda scaryie ......please be patiance...and ask me any questions.if i hijacked...im sorry.......thanks marty byw..iam an electrical tec

wquiles

Flashaholic
i think...i know this is way outta topic.i have accessto acompatiable lathe at work....nice lathe but, not much tooling, iwould like to bore a 9p toa 18650...do i leave a LE lip?and how much?..belive it or not i know more about is machine than anyone kinda scaryie ......please be patiance...and ask me any questions.if i hijacked...im sorry.......thanks marty byw..iam an electrical tec

It is in fact way off topic - please start a new thread or use the search function as there are numerous threads on this topic, like this one.

Latest posts