• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

DriverVN3 and DriverVNX3 Development

ntalbot

Enlightened
Sorry I didn't have time to read the whole thread, so this may have already been brought up.
For DriverVNX2, you have a lot of groups that have 100% in the group, but they also have 100% as the hidden mode. I could be missing something, but that seems redundant.
Why not replace 100% in the group with something else? You can still get 100% by double clicking at any time. You could use the freed up mode for a moonlight or 70% mode. (By the way I think the overall mode switching design concept is great; my hat's off to you).

For instance:
Instead of this: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,This:
1: 100 ** 100% ,,,,,,,,,,,,same (I get the need for a "nothing but 100%" mode)

2: 5 -100 ** 100 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,5 - 50 ** 100
3: 30 - 100 ** 100 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,20 - 70 ** 100 (I reduced the 30 down to 20 to differentiate it a bit more)
4: 70 - 100 ** 100 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,70 - 1 ** 100
5: 50 - 10 ** 100 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,same
6: 75 - 20 ** 100 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,same

7: 1- 30 - 100 ** 100 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,1 - 30 - 70 - ** 100
8: 100 -30 - 1 ** STROBE ,,,,,,,,,same

9: 1 - 20 - 70 - 100 ** 100 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,0.2 - 1 - 20 - 70 ** 100
10: 100 - 70 - 20 -1 ** STROBE,,,,,,,,,same

11: 1 - 5 - 15 - 50 - 70 - 100 ** 100 ,,,,,,,,,,,, 0.2 - 1 - 5 - 15 - 50 - 70 ** 100

One last thing:
"From hidden mode: A double-tap gets you back to previous mode"
I would get rid of this because I want the end result of a double-tap to be the hidden mode *no matter what* -- even if I forgot that I was already in the hidden mode.

Last edited:

Sniper2075

Newly Enlightened
Oh, I was so ready to order a light or 2, or maybe even 3. Then I saw this thread and the new DriverVN3 definitely has some modes I really prefer to what's available on the VN2. I guess the wait it on.

Can I place an order for a light with the VN3 driver so I can get in the queue early.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey vinh, since you asked for ideas, I see lots of developers using these preconfigured decks with percentages of max output. we're realizing that as lights get more powerful, these percentages need to be scaled down to keep FF or ML mode as well as middle modes useful. this advancement makes drivers inevitably outdated. How about future-proof your driver? While I have no idea what is realistic versus pipe dream, here are some thoughts:

-is it possible to make the one level per group, user-programmable? you can keep all of the preconfigured decks but maybe have one level that is "blank" for each mode group so that if I want 3, 33, 99, in the 3-mode group, I can enter those in and change any time I want.

also, since entering fraction of a number might be hard, standardize ML or FF as a fixed lumen number rather than percentage of max output?

-for your electronic switch, can you standardize ** as turbo and *** as strobe (or something standard) instead of ** meaning different things depending on what deck is chosen - this is more logical.

-for the e-switch (and mechanical IF POSSIBLE), can you add a way to reverse scroll through the modes, for example by press-hold? momentary click goes forward (brighter) and press-hold goes backward (dimmer) to more easily reach desired levels especially in your groups with 5 or more levels.

- separate function for battery level. for example, like ZL, 4 clicks - instead of your 8 or 10 clicks, which is programming mode since one might accidentally change modes while trying to assess battery.

Last edited: