driving 3 watt UV leds question

tmorris9

Newly Enlightened
I am going to be building some machines to cure epoxy. I want to use the 3 watt UV led's that are available. I am going to put them into a cheap housing I found that already has a single 20w white led.

I really bought these just because of the case but it has a descent looking driver that says it's output is: DC 20-40V 600mA (20 watt) (it runs on 110 AC).

Now the LED's are 3w 3.4-3.8v 700mA, now I see that the driver is only 600mA but I think I am OK if the bulbs are not driven at 100%. I want to know how many I can run on this unit (if any). I did the math but not 100% sure I got it right. I think I can run from 6-11 in series.

Does that sound right?
If not can i use this driver or not and if yes what are the numbers I can use? Or will 600mA be way too low?

I can get a different driver but since the cases I am buying to use already come with the one listed I would like to use them if I can. If this works out I might be making a few dozen of these.

Thank you so much.

billw

Enlightened
You need a new driver, or more than 1 UV LED. The "minimum" output voltage of your current driver (20V) is far above what is needed for a single UV LED, and it (almost certainly) won't properly regulate the current...

tmorris9

Newly Enlightened
You need a new driver, or more than 1 UV LED. The "minimum" output voltage of your current driver (20V) is far above what is needed for a single UV LED, and it (almost certainly) won't properly regulate the current...

Maybe you missed it but I want to hook 6 or more (I figured it would power 6-11) LED's to the unit. 6 LED's in series should be just over 20v. I might go for 8 total.

So then it should work right?

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that should work fine. Your math looks right.

Depending on the quality of the driver, you may find that the current is actually less than 600 mA, or that it changes depending on how many LEDs you connect. In any case, it should at least work.