Dummy reference guide to SF A2 modding with MJ led (or 35k 5mm) leds

Evil Twin

Newly Enlightened
I have a red led A2 being shipped to me that I really want to use rcr123s in.

My question is since the red led A2s come with 100 ohm resistors, do I have to replace them with even higher value resistors in order to use the rechargeable cells (without overdriving the leds)?

mitch79

Newly Enlightened
Red LED's have a lower forward voltage then whites so yes, I'd say you will have to change the resisters to run RCR-123's.
IDK what value, might need to experiment a bit

type-x

Newly Enlightened
So just to clarify everything about the a2 with red leds, is that if you were to install a 35k mcd led it will be underdriven unless you go to a smaller resistor? also the only leds I have found here in Perth are 30k mcd is it even worth a try on the a2 with red leds?

Last edited:

mitch79

Newly Enlightened
Depends. Are the new LED's also red, or white?
If your just swapping to new red LED's it should be fine.
If your swapping you red LED's to white ones it will be under driven on primary cells but just about perfect for use with RCR-123's.

type-x

Newly Enlightened
Depends. Are the new LED's also red, or white?
If your just swapping to new red LED's it should be fine.
If your swapping you red LED's to white ones it will be under driven on primary cells but just about perfect for use with RCR-123's.
Ahhhh ok then that clear things up thanks, yeah I was referring to replacing the red leds.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bringing this thread back to life. After a few years, what is the whitest and brightest LED mod on the A2 ?