DURACELL vs ENELOOP

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I correct that these are 2000 mah capacity?

Yes, the AA batteries are rated 2000mAh.

The AAA batteries are 800mAh.

Remember I am talking about the "DuraLoops" - made in Japan versions with the white top surrounding the +ve button - as show in my pics.

KD5XB

Enlightened
Remember I am talking about the "DuraLoops" - made in Japan versions with the white top surrounding the +ve button - as show in my pics.

Rgr rgr! I just ran down to Walgreen's and bought a package of 4 AA's -- they will replace some older junk AA's that are starting to flake out in my charger.

Thanks for the tip!
Earl

Art

Enlightened
I actually own the duracells AAA 1000mah and some cheap 1000mah.... tested both after charge at 1,415v... after 1week with no use the duracells where ate 1,385v and the cheap ones ate 1,350v...
Never had eneloops here to test... will probably order them from overseas.

Regards,

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DuraLoops are also similarly dated (? - embossed on the clear wrapping, but not in the same format) as "7005"

I believe the 'Duraloop' date code embossed along the side of the cell and stamped on the package backer can be interpreted thusly:
For example, the date code 7K07HT represents 2007 November 07 (7=Year, K=Month, 07=Day, HT=?).
I've noticed the date code on the package is usually more recent than the date code on the cells, but only by a few months.

Many thanks for that Bones.

In the light of that I re-examined the code on the spine of my "DuraLoop" - which is real hard to read - as it is light embossing on the clear plastic wrapper against black - however I used a magnifying glass this time, and it is -

"7G05 - IN" - so that's a "G" and not a 0 -
that makes them from 2007, G=7=July, 05

The packaging says "7I05J2" - 2007, I=9=Sept, 05.

another AA set
Spine = 7H07 - TS - 2007, H=8=Aug, 07
Pack = 7J15J3 - 2007, J=10=Oct, 15

and a set of AAA -
spine = 7G 04 - IO - 2007, G=7=July, 04
pack = 7J15J3 - 2007, J=10=Oct, 15

both the latter sets were just purchased from Walgreens for $7.99 (so probably older stock with the $2 instant coupon attached)

KD5XB

Enlightened
Now for the $64 question -- (wow, that's a blast form the past!!!) -- do I need to run a break-in cycle with my new Duraloops on my also-new MH-C9000? Or simply start using them?

Thanks,
Earl

Bones

Enlightened
do I need to run a break-in cycle with my new Duraloops on my also-new MH-C9000? Or simply start using them?

In order to maximize their performance and longevity, I have made it a habit to run 3 back-to-back forming charges on my Eneloops (or Duraloops) before putting them into service.

Notwithstanding their apparent stability, it seems inevitable that some separation and/or settling of the chemicals will have taken place in the months or even years since they were built.

While the forming charge may be less important when used in lower drain devices, it seems much more critical when they're used in devices that require a higher drain.

As I understand it, if there is chemical separation and/or settling, then hot spots could form in the dryer areas at higher drain rates, causing permanent damage to the cell.

Besides, what harm can it do, especially when you have several hundred cycles to play with?

The "forming" charge refers to a slow charge that is designed to equalize the electrolyte within the cell, and it also balances the cells within a battery pack. It also allows the separator to "soak up" the electrolyte so it can function to its maximum extent.

KD5XB

Enlightened
Unfortunately I don't have the time just now -- I'll have to hit the road about 24 hours from now, and a break-in cycle on the C9000 takes somewhere around 35-40 hours. To do three of them, I guess I'll have to wait until I have a week off! :grin2:

You ARE speaking of .1C charge for 16 hours, 2-hour rest, .2C discharge, 2-hour rest, .1C charge for 16 hours -- right?

Thanks!

Bones

Enlightened
You ARE speaking of .1C charge for 16 hours, 2-hour rest, .2C discharge, 2-hour rest, .1C charge for 16 hours -- right?

Not quite, I actually like to run two complete break-in cycles, each preceded by a .2C discharge:

- Discharge at .2C
- Break-in cycle.
- Discharge at .2C
- Break-in cycle.

I describe the routine as consisting of 3 break-in cycles because I consider the first discharge as preparatory to readying the cell for the first break-in cycle, and the last charge of the last break-in cycle as preparatory to readying the cell for use.

This follows my understanding that one full break-in cycle actually consists of the following:

- Charge for 16 hours at .1C
- 1 (or 2) hour rest period.
- Discharge at .2C to 1.0 volts.

I suppose the routine could just as easily be described as 4 break-in cycles providing the first cycle is always preceded by a .2C discharge.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's fair to say that although a break in cycle or two is ideal for maximum performance, the cells are pre-charged and ready to use, so if you have a time constraint and a need to use the cells it is quite acceptable to just go ahead and use them.

KD5XB

Enlightened
Thanks for that -- for now I'll just keep the old "flakey" cells in use -- they're at about 65% capacity, so about ready to die, but they go in a GPS that usually has external power on it, so not a problem.

Earl

InHisName

Enlightened
I believe the 'Duraloop' date code embossed along the side of the cell and stamped on the package backer can be interpreted thusly:

The first character, consisting of a number from 0 to 9, represents the year of manufacture.

The second character, consisting of a letter from A to L, represents the month.

The third and fourth characters, consisting of two numbers from 0 to 31, represents the day.

The fifth and sixth characters, consisting of two letters, may represent a batch code.

For example, the date code 7K07HT represents 2007 November 07 (7=Year, K=Month, 07=Day, HT=?).

I've noticed the date code on the package is usually more recent than the date code on the cells, but only by a few months.

I was unable to locate a date code on the Duracell pre-charged cells made in China which are not believed to be re-badged Eneloops.
I found this after much searching to decode my dates on Duraloops. 9|01 E4 --> Based on this must be 2009, |=I=September 10=10th of month.

Now has there been any new info to interpret the last 2 chars ? E4 for me