e-cig explosion lit face on fire, busted 2 teeth

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you're somewhat mixing apples and oranges.

Building your own vape rig involves you making decisions on the components you select. Using a sub ohm unit coil which is as close to creating a dead short as possible to my knowledge isn't a turn key operation.

The hover boards even following the charging instructions were an issue due to shoddy Chinese players and **** poor engineering specing out motors that draw more current than the batteries can supply.

It would have been one thing if you purchased motor, board battery and charger as separate pieces, but these were full set supplied.

Last edited:

hangn_9

Newly Enlightened
Your right and your wrong. Some sub coils are prepackaged and ship in set's of five. You can buy coils with a selection of wire types and coil types. Much of what has been recently adopted are what the call Temperature controlled. Really it does not read temps but uses a temperature coefficient to calculate a result. These TC coils and mods are all low resistance (at least I have not seen one above 1ohm). These coils are designed to keep the wick from burning or the user from getting a dry hit (no juice).

Both the purchaser of the pre built, and a builder (the name for people who make their own coils) are at the mercy of the supplied spec's of their battery, or in the case of a mod with a non-user serviceable battery, the mod manufacture. I cant tell you how many I have seen with improper or misleading labels.

Mod's with the DNA 200 chip set allow the user to control many variables including setting the battery capacity. Not exclusively, but the DNA 200 boards often use [FONT=arial, sans-serif]3S lipo/lifepo4/imr lithium packs. which if I'm correct are smaller, but the same type used in the boards. The Story I heard about the pilot's union did not specifically mention the boards. They have had some tragedies shipping these type of batteries.[/FONT]http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/experts-shipping-lithium-ion-batteries-bulk-cargo-planes-unsafe-n516121

So yes I am mixing things up a bit, and I am probably confusing things. My point is this is fundamentally not just a vaping problem. It's more broadly applied, a battery problem.

We cant know what happened with this kid. He could have damaged his battery, could have shorted out his mod, He could have thought he did everything correctly but had incorrect information.

hangn_9

Newly Enlightened
Building your own vape rig involves you making decisions on the components you select. Using a sub ohm unit coil which is as close to creating a dead short as possible to my knowledge isn't a turn key operation.

No doubt that is what it appears like. But that is not the intent or goal. Using a lower resistance coil allow the user to use more coil increasing the usable surface area that vaporizes the liquid to make vapor and flavor. There is alot involved with the wicking, but that is off topic. Yes we are getting close to creating a short, that is not the goal. Really when we talk about mod's exploding the most common failure is pulling an amount of amperage the battery was not designed for.

G. Scott H.

Enlightened
By that i mean i dont use a 10a cell and ask 10a of it!

Ditto! I have two eVic VTC Minis, one dedicated to 1 ohm plus and one to sub ohm. I use Panny NCR18650PFs in the first, which are rated for 10A continuous, but at the resistance and wattage I use it at it's pulling a max of 3A. On the second (sub ohm) I use LG INR18650-HG2s rated at 20A continuous, but at my resistance and wattage I'm only asking 9A max (usually more like 7-8A). I believe in leaving a good margin and not pushing my cells to their max.

ven

Flashaholic
Another with the mec mods and sub ohm(real low ohm) set ups, lots of the parts are as said put together. Maybe the mec mod from fasttech, the dripper off ebay, the wire off amazon.............etc etc . The use of 1 or 2 cells, again sourced from a number of places. Hover boards, well as far as i know, not many met standards as a whole, be it sub standard charging, inferior cells. As a large unit, its pretty easy to stop at customs compared to smaller devices.

I dont know the amount of 18650's used, but would have thought a reasonable amount of 15-20 ish. That is some stored power there! Serious fire power.......... and a high voltage as well. Maybe 3.7v and 36v have a different safety regulation with the(Volts X AH) wh taken into account............

Just thoughts.......not to mention the size/weight and no matter what its marked at (under the amount for duty) ,would still be suspicious . If marked over $50 then its duty hit which would bring attention to it.

So easier to "slip through the net" generally for mods/tanks/single cells here and there than a 25lb box .

Just thoughts:)

hangn_9

Newly Enlightened
Another with the mec mods and sub ohm(real low ohm) set ups, lots of the parts are as said put together. Maybe the mec mod from fasttech, the dripper off ebay, the wire off amazon.............etc etc . The use of 1 or 2 cells, again sourced from a number of places. Hover boards, well as far as i know, not many met standards as a whole, be it sub standard charging, inferior cells. As a large unit, its pretty easy to stop at customs compared to smaller devices.

I dont know the amount of 18650's used, but would have thought a reasonable amount of 15-20 ish. That is some stored power there! Serious fire power.......... and a high voltage as well. Maybe 3.7v and 36v have a different safety regulation with the(Volts X AH) wh taken into account............

Just thoughts.......not to mention the size/weight and no matter what its marked at (under the amount for duty) ,would still be suspicious . If marked over $50 then its duty hit which would bring attention to it.

So easier to "slip through the net" generally for mods/tanks/single cells here and there than a 25lb box .

Just thoughts:)

The implication of the Pilot's union deal points toward of pallets of batteries. I agree that a smaller device may not warrant as much scrutiny. But the runaway meltdown of a device or even several would probably not be enough to bring down a entire plane. Fast forward to a pallet in which one runaway meltdown could easily cause a chain reaction. Then you have a situation that a plane crew could probably not recover from, even with proper fire fighting equipment. Super fast, Super hot. That would require posting a sign "In Case Of Fire, Place Head Between Legs and Kiss Your *** Good by"

Last edited: