Eagletac GX25A3 (XM-L2 U2, 3xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSHOTS and more!

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much Selfbuilt. That's pretty impressive output/runtime for 3AA's alkalines at this level. The 220 lumen output with the large reflector does a surprisingly good job that is not that noticeably different than high to the eye. I'm impressed with this light.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
BTW, I forgot to mention it in the review, but Olight M21-X diffuser cover fits and works on the GX25A3. It fits on all the way, and doesn't feel as tight as it does on the M21-X, but seems to hold ok. The Butler Creek Blizzard scope cover #4 (1.5-1.59", 38.1-40.38mm) fits, but is a very tight fit. This means that you may find it hard to close the cover at first (i.e., needs a fair amount of force to lock-on), but it may loosen with time.

I understand that Eagletac is supposed to be offering a kit version of this light (with screw-on diffuser cover and filters), but I am not sure if that's available for sale anywhere.

Rexlion

Enlightened
Another great review. I could not wait for it, though... I had to get a 'neutral' GX25A3 as soon as it became available and have been enjoying it for most of the month already. The beam is really warm, just about the same temp as the old Fenix TK20 that so many of us went bananas over a few years ago, but of course soooo much brighter. I also picked up a Streamlight Stinger 75702 anti-roll ring for the head, and this will be my main bedstand light. It was great for the camping trips I took this month, too.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I've updated the review with 3x14500 runtimes. Note that the early production run GX25A3 I was sent wasn't able to fit my protected cells (e.g., my protected AW 14500s were too tall to allow the tailcap to screw down sufficiently). Eagletac has revised this, by shortening the springs. They have sent me a revised handle (which should currently be included on shipping lights). The revised springs can handle all length cells (i.e., my alkaline and NiMH still all work fine).

GX25A3-runtimes.gif

As you can see though, the light is no brighter on 3x3.7V Li-ion - the regulated levels are the same. Runtime is similarly not that different from standard NiMH Eneloop. The reason for this is that you have to consider the voltage when doing capacity conversions (i.e., Work-hours = Amp-hours * Voltage). By that measure, the actual capacity to do work is not that different between a 750mAh 14500 and 2000mAh Eneloop.

Trevtrain

Enlightened
Just watched the video for this and the SX25A6. Has anyone else noticed this company cutting corners?

The box and lights are now marked as EAGTAC rather than EAGLETAC. I wonder if leaving out the letters LE results in much of a cost saving? :whistle:

But seriously - has there been a name or ownership change here? Or am I just late in noticing it?

Edit: OK, just did a thread search - seems this happened some time ago. I'll shutup now. :D Anyone else just picked up on this?

Last edited:

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought today a GX25 but I found that the thread of the head is defective.
Movement rough and noisy when switching from medium to turbo, small imperfection in the thread.
The seller replaces the torch
This problem has happened to someone else?

translated with google translator

http:// Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
I bought today a GX25 but I found that the thread of the head is defective.
Movement rough and noisy when switching from medium to turbo, small imperfection in the thread.
The seller replaces the torch
This problem has happened to someone else?
The threads on my A3 aren't 'defective', but there is some play in it.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The threads on my A3 aren't 'defective', but there is some play in it.

I'm sorry for this problem, tonight I wanted to try the torch, with the SX25L3 instead no problem, perfect in every way.
question:
I selected tactical mode with the SX25L3 and I see that it loses only if I remove the batteries.
With GX25A3 I select tactical mode and if I turn off the torch and then turn on again is back in regular mode.
And 'this normal?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I selected tactical mode with the SX25L3 and I see that it loses only if I remove the batteries.
With GX25A3 I select tactical mode and if I turn off the torch and then turn on again is back in regular mode.
And 'this normal?
I gather it is, as mine does the same thing (i.e., the memory of selecting tactical doesn't persist past a battery change). :shrug:

As for the threads, that's definitely a defect and should be exchanged. I've seen this happen from time to time with all makers.

liquidwater

Newly Enlightened
I gather it is, as mine does the same thing (i.e., the memory of selecting tactical doesn't persist past a battery change). :shrug:

As for the threads, that's definitely a defect and should be exchanged. I've seen this happen from time to time with all makers.

i just checked my g25c2 xml version, i took out the battery and put it back in, and it stayed on tactical mode. ^_^

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
i just checked my g25c2 xml version, i took out the battery and put it back in, and it stayed on tactical mode. ^_^
Yes, the memory for regular vs. tactical holds in my G25C2 as well. It is just some of the the newer electronic switch GX/SX/MX-model lights where it doesn't seem to (like the GX25A3. SX25L3, etc.).

liquidwater

Newly Enlightened
Yes, the memory for regular vs. tactical holds in my G25C2 as well. It is just some of the the newer electronic switch GX/SX/MX-model lights where it doesn't seem to (like the GX25A3. SX25L3, etc.).

hmm i see, you should contact eagletac about that and see what they say,im interested in their responce.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I returned the torch that had the problem of thread, I'm waiting to receive a replacement.
Before sending I did some testing, sometimes keeps storing the tactical mode, some not ..
The rest are favorably impressed with the power, beam and tint (magnificent cool withe)

(Translated with Google translator)

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I returned the torch that had the problem of thread, I'm waiting to receive a replacement.
Before sending I did some testing, sometimes keeps storing the tactical mode, some not ..
The rest are favorably impressed with the power, beam and tint (magnificent cool withe)

(Translated with Google translator)

My EagleTac is back, but I chose NW.
No rotation problem with this specimen, excellent performance, great job EagleTac!
I made a comparison with the Fenix ​​TK35 and the EagleTac is defended very well!
Only the tint leaves me a little uncertain .. looks very hot (warm) and around the spot there is a slightly yellowish.
Can anyone tell me if this small yellowish hue is this normal? I was unlucky with the tint or is a feature of these LEDs last generation?
I want to specify that yellow halo around the spot is very very slight, it's just perceivable.
(I hope Google translation understandable)

I hope to make someone happy with beamshot, I wanted to do in the forest but it was not possible.

next photo: Fenix TK35 U2 (turbo - 860 lumens)

Next photo : Eagletac GX25A3 NW - (turbo level)

I did some short tests and I must say that despite Fenix ​​state 340 meters seems to me that the throw is similar.
EagleTac declares 284 meters
I should add that in the last meters the EagleTac has better visibility, perhaps thanks to neutral tint.
Excellent performance for EagleTac!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
My EagleTac is back, but I chose NW.
Only the tint leaves me a little uncertain .. looks very hot (warm) and around the spot there is a slightly yellowish.
Can anyone tell me if this small yellowish hue is this normal? I was unlucky with the tint or is a feature of these LEDs last generation?
I want to specify that yellow halo around the spot is very very slight, it's just perceivable.
That would be normal. There is commonly a tint shift between the hotspot, corona, and spill. This is due to the interaction of the reflector with the emitter. It can be more visible with some tints than others.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be normal. There is commonly a tint shift between the hotspot, corona, and spill. This is due to the interaction of the reflector with the emitter. It can be more visible with some tints than others.

Thank you your answer is reassuring to me, I have only one other light NW (Zebra H51w) and the neutral color is a new world for me.
Meanwhile, I discovered that the glass is very dirty, someone at the factory has touched with your hands, there are fingerprints on the glass and also looks very greasy.
Do you have a tip for the cleaning? EagleTac on the site says not to touch ..

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Meanwhile, I discovered that the glass is very dirty, someone at the factory has touched with your hands, there are fingerprints on the glass and also looks very greasy. Do you have a tip for the cleaning? EagleTac on the site says not to touch ..
I would just use a lint-free cloth, and see if that worked. Slightly moistened with water may help. The problem with using any sort of clearning solution is that it may damage the anti-glare coating.

Trevtrain

Enlightened
I would just use a lint-free cloth, and see if that worked. Slightly moistened with water may help. The problem with using any sort of clearning solution is that it may damage the anti-glare coating.

You could also purchase some photographic lens cleaning fluid and disposable lens tissue from a camera shop. Be sure to use only the minimum pressure needed.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you all for the answers.
The glass was very dirty, I used neutral soap for the face and water - then I bought a microfiber cloth for LCD, very soft and antistatic.
Now it seems ok