Eagletac Reliability?

Lantern32

Enlightened
I do. My P20C2 is just a hair or three over one inch through the head. Too big for EDC? Not at all...it's almost perfect in my opinion. As for being comparable to a McGizmo...I have no idea since I have neither owned or even seen a McGizmo in person. It has however, replaced my original Surefire 6P.

how would you compare it to your sure fire?

Omenwolf

Newly Enlightened
If you want a p20c2 you had better find one quick cause i believe that they are discontinued. I have had one as my edc for a couple years. It started life as a xml2 cool then i bought a neutral emitter for it and I love it even more. It and my ET D25a Ti xml2 neutral and my olight M1X are my main edc lights.

GearHunter

Enlightened
Excuse me?! Nitecore is GARBAGE?! I believe you got the wrong company. I have a Nitecore TM26 and it is a champ. I was standing on the roof of my Pickup truck, and dropped the light. It fell from my hand all the way onto my concrete driveway. Yes, the side of the bezel was dented a bit, but it works fine! It's been dropped in the pool, but still works! Surefire still makes quality things. My friend dropped his off his roof in the night because a skylight blew off. He was covering it when he fell, the light fell to the ground. No dent!

is that the same TM26 that in your other post you are afraid to take out in the rain?

Lantern32

Enlightened
is that the same TM26 that in your other post you are afraid to take out in the rain?

Yes, I don't like the button. when I dropped it, I believe part of the silicone surrounding the switch got damaged, but that was a pretty big fall in the first place. Now I try to keep it away from water to be safe because if the water ruined the light because of a damaged switch, I would be screwed

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
how would you compare it to your sure fire?

Well if Surefire was a 10 then I would rate Eagle Tac as an 8.5 or 9

I'm sure some folks could argue it but I am satisfied with it. The only thing I might change is the tail switch. If I could I would make it a twisty instead, with lockout.

I don't go around beating up my lights by using them for things they were never intended for so I don't expect it to be bullet-proof or to be driven over by a tank (or car) and it has so far been occupying the space in my pocket doing exactly what I need it to do every time. Sure the battery tube is not as thick as a Surefire but that also means it is lighter in the pocket than the 6P.

Last edited:

Lantern32

Enlightened

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay everyone! I have narrowed down my possible options to 4 lights! I need your EDC experience to guide me! I will include 4 links to the 4 different lights. Please let me know what you think!

Oh my.. You've linked 3 companies that are proven good buys. I don't know enough about the SL2 but have heard a lot of good things about the guy who made them. I think as long as there was some customer support on that end it's probably in the same category.

I think your preference in UI and how they function is how you are going to make your purchase.

Although if you look at my purchase history in the last week (12 lights) you could learn from me and just buy all 4 :naughty:

Lantern32

Enlightened
Oh my.. You've linked 3 companies that are proven good buys. I don't know enough about the SL2 but have heard a lot of good things about the guy who made them. I think as long as there was some customer support on that end it's probably in the same category.

I think your preference in UI and how they function is how you are going to make your purchase.

Although if you look at my purchase history in the last week (12 lights) you could learn from me and just buy all 4 :naughty:

I'm going to go with one of the custom lights. That means I could carry around a very small flashlight, but still have the same performance as much larger competitors.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to go with one of the custom lights. That means I could carry around a very small flashlight, but still have the same performance as much larger competitors.

The SL2 is a very attractive light if that is the one you are going to buy.

kkay

Newly Enlightened
I have two Eagle Tac lights. One of them I just got. The other is my EDC. I will know in time whether they hold up. So far the Eagle Tac D25LC2 with Nichia 219 has been a great EDC light for me.

richied

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPF!

What is the reliability of eagletac? They have been pumping out some pretty impressive lights. I understand that Surefire has set the bar for quality. How would you rank Eagletac if Surefire was a 10? Anyone a direct competitor of Surefire? Anyone following Surefire, but not very far off?

I'm really disappointed. I have a d25c and a gx25L2 that both quit without warning. The d25c2 quit last year, when I contacted customer service they said I had to ship it directly back to China. I bought the fenix pd22ue instead of paying that shipping. My gx25L2 just quit last week, no warning what so ever. Battery swaps to 2 18650s, from the internal double cell, cleaned all the contacts ..nothing. What peeves me is the no warning since I depended on these lights for EDC or truck carry. Worked perfectly, then zero next time I went to use them...almost like a timer timed out! Both were the warmer tints, if that matters.

I haven't had any failures with much older Fenix, Wolf Eyes or Surefire lights. Too bad, I really really like the eagle tacs with the nice tint. I have one other that is still working, the predecessor the the gx25L2, whatever that model was. Its been repurposed into a weapon light and is holding up fine on a scar-17!

rich

Lantern32

Enlightened
I'm really disappointed. I have a d25c and a gx25L2 that both quit without warning. The d25c2 quit last year, when I contacted customer service they said I had to ship it directly back to China. I bought the fenix pd22ue instead of paying that shipping. My gx25L2 just quit last week, no warning what so ever. Battery swaps to 2 18650s, from the internal double cell, cleaned all the contacts ..nothing. What peeves me is the no warning since I depended on these lights for EDC or truck carry. Worked perfectly, then zero next time I went to use them...almost like a timer timed out! Both were the warmer tints, if that matters.

I haven't had any failures with much older Fenix, Wolf Eyes or Surefire lights. Too bad, I really really like the eagle tacs with the nice tint. I have one other that is still working, the predecessor the the gx25L2, whatever that model was. Its been repurposed into a weapon light and is holding up fine on a scar-17!

rich

What a shame! It is people like you that we need to have more of! You kept your light until it broke, and you told me about it without any bias. Very well said! I so sorry about your light! I'm going to buy a custom light from Vinh (his own brand) and I'm going to see how many lumens I need in an EDC. The one from Vinh has about 1000. If I only use about 250 lumens, then I probably will get a HDS or Malkoff or Surefire because I really need something that will protect me in an emergency. Imagine an earthquake hitting your house, and your light falls, or something falls in it, and it is broken! Or you are outside in a big storm and you slip and drop your light.. There are too many possible scenarios where one of these potted lights would be useful

richied

Newly Enlightened
What a shame! It is people like you that we need to have more of! You kept your light until it broke, and you told me about it without any bias. Very well said! I so sorry about your light! I'm going to buy a custom light from Vinh (his own brand) and I'm going to see how many lumens I need in an EDC. The one from Vinh has about 1000. If I only use about 250 lumens, then I probably will get a HDS or Malkoff or Surefire because I really need something that will protect me in an emergency. Imagine an earthquake hitting your house, and your light falls, or something falls in it, and it is broken! Or you are outside in a big storm and you slip and drop your light.. There are too many possible scenarios where one of these potted lights would be useful

Well it's hardly the end of the world��. In fact it's an excuse to buy a new light...
just told my girlfriend to get me the fenix UC35 for my B day to replace the bigger eagletac. I really
liked the built in charger on it, and both lights in fact. The bigger one was great to keep in the truck, the uc35 won't have as much throw but will be a great replacement with built in charging . Not trying to bash eagletac, It's just I saw this thread when I logged in to research replacement lights and thought I should chime in. I don't think the failures were impact related, something electronic failed in both. They need a U.S. Return depot.