Eagletac SX25L3 (MT-G2, 3x18650/6xCR123A) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSHOTS+

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this light. The only complain I have is that in the dark, it's hard to locate the on/off button. I solved that by sticking a small piece of luminous sticker on it. But only last 1/2 hour or so. I think the nitecore method of having the button lighted up is a great idea that eagle tac should adapt for those light with side buttons.

Selfbuilt, btw, you should indicate that those who did not buy the kit won't be able to use the accessories on their basic set like mine.. Anyway, my basic set did not feel like a diffuser is useful but the end cap switch would be!

I could not agree more. I am waiting to see what Nitecore brings to the table using this emitter. No low voltage warning light makes me continue the search...

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could not agree more. I am waiting to see what Nitecore brings to the table using this emitter. No low voltage warning light makes me continue the search...

+

When the voltage gets low, it blinks once to let you know, every 30~60 seconds (the blink duration is neither fast or slow, if that makes sense)

When voltage gets very low, you cannot change up to the next level,
it goes to a default Low until you rotate back the the level you were previously at.

Also:: the SX25L3 really prefers protected cells, I'v done the test & it doesn't like unprotected cells at lower voltage,, it gets fussy

aristein

Newly Enlightened
Got mine last week. Of course my reaction was WOW! :thumbsup:. Really puts out a massive amount of light. Very floody, but 2375 lumens pushes that floody beam way out there (about 150-200 yards is as far as my eyes can reasonable make things out...I just can't see much details further than that unassisted). A couple things I was a little surprised by though (maybe I just wasn't paying attention/thinking): 1) it is heavier than I thought it would be. It is such a small package, that I just didn't expect it to be quite as dense/heavy. Not a big deal holding it, but I put it in my sweat pants pocket when going for a walk and it really drags them down....have to tighten that drawstring lol. 2) Not as easy to use the tail cap button in a tactical grip. Maybe my hands are smaller than I thought. But the combination of it being a little thicker than I thought, and the tailcap button being recessed and pretty firm, makes me have to twist my grip a little to get my thumb down into the button with enough force. I think you would have to have above average sized hands to be able to use the tailcap button comfortably in a tactical grip. 3) my first Eagletac light, and they really mean it when they say that you have to have a button-top 18650...because my flattop AW 18650's didn't work.

Last edited:

StudFreeman

Enlightened
Thanks for the thorough review Selfbuilt. Eagletac definitely got this one right, starting with the 3S battery configuration.

I wanted this one before you did the review...now I might just have to indulge and take the plunge. Right now I'm trying to decide if the Kit version is worth the markup. Do you know if the extra tailswitch is electronic or a physical clicky? Hoping to see some beamshots of the white diffuser versus undiffused, too.
-SFreeman

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Right now I'm trying to decide if the Kit version is worth the markup. Do you know if the extra tailswitch is electronic or a physical clicky? Hoping to see some beamshots of the white diffuser versus undiffused, too.
The extra tailswitch is electronic, with similar feel to the main side switch (I know from my GX25A3/SX25A6 reviews).

Sorry, I don't plan to do diffuser beamshots (hard to capture well on a camera). But it helps at all, the Blizzard Creek see-through scope cover #7 (1.8-1.89") fits (although it is a tight fit). You could add diffuser film, and make it into an impromptu flip-top diffuser. I've described the process in this post, for a smaller light.

StudFreeman

Enlightened
The extra tailswitch is electronic, with similar feel to the main side switch (I know from my GX25A3/SX25A6 reviews).

Sorry, I don't plan to do diffuser beamshots (hard to capture well on a camera). But it helps at all, the Blizzard Creek see-through scope cover #7 (1.8-1.89") fits (although it is a tight fit). You could add diffuser film, and make it into an impromptu flip-top diffuser. I've described the process in this post, for a smaller light.
Understandable. Thanks for the heads up on your flip-up diffuser solution--I like it.

texbaz

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the fantastic review. Ive had tons of lights over the years, maybe 1 or 2 of my lights have been where you loosen the head to change levels or modes. Looking at your pictures I can't see how the head maintains its IPX8 integrity if the head is moved from a seated position. I guess it all depends on where the seal is located on the body.

Had my mind set on a DDR30 for build and quality. Looked at the TK75 for retro look and value. But never even thought of the SX25L3 MT-G2 for me, based on some photo's it has a wall of light illuminating out to the sides, great for search/walking . Hope the build quality is as good as jetbeams, I plan on placing an order for the SX25L3 MT-G2 Kit version. Great review. (Seems like nobody has this light in stock)

MBentz

Enlightened
Thank you for the fantastic review. Ive had tons of lights over the years, maybe 1 or 2 of my lights have been where you loosen the head to change levels or modes. Looking at your pictures I can't see how the head maintains its IPX8 integrity if the head is moved from a seated position. I guess it all depends on where the seal is located on the body.

Had my mind set on a DDR30 for build and quality. Looked at the TK75 for retro look and value. But never even thought of the SX25L3 MT-G2 for me, based on some photo's it has a wall of light illuminating out to the sides, great for search/walking . Hope the build quality is as good as jetbeams, I plan on placing an order for the SX25L3 MT-G2 Kit version. Great review. (Seems like nobody has this light in stock)

Eagletac-USA has both base and kit versions in stock. I just have the base version and I absolutely love it. :thumbsup:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thank you for the fantastic review. Ive had tons of lights over the years, maybe 1 or 2 of my lights have been where you loosen the head to change levels or modes. Looking at your pictures I can't see how the head maintains its IPX8 integrity if the head is moved from a seated position. I guess it all depends on where the seal is located on the body.)
That's because IPX8 makes no claim about using the light under water. Typically, testing is done with the light off the whole time.

If you search some of my other threads, you'll see I discuss the difference between the IPX and ansi standards in this regard. Short version, none require use or activation. Most light would likely fall upon activation, or through mode switching.

EDIT: I also discuss this somewhat on my ANSI Fl-1 standards page at flashlightreviews.ca.

Last edited:

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is some out door beam shots on the pd35 thread, which show impressive color rendering.

Now, I am having trouble remembering the "SX25L3" name of the light. Some electrical engineers come up with this one? Is there meaning to these letters or numbers?

The L3, throws me off (xml2). Probably reference to the 3 cell, with L being short for 18650.

SX25 refers to what?

Also, I own the TK35, because I decided the it would give me 8AA power, but be lighter. (I still am pondering ways to make the tk35 lighter through modification. So, I think that light would make a better weight comparison.

Last edited:

AngryDaddyBird

Newly Enlightened
Excellent Review! can't wait to see outdoor beamshots!
I have a kit on order because of your review so will be playing with my own soon! should be a great match to the GX25A3!

wunderhe

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I love this flashlight. It will replace my Fandyfire Darth, because it has nearly the same size (some Millimeters longer), is brighter and has a real low mode.

hikingman

Enlightened
Selfbuilt, is there any hint you've picked up on that this new emitter will be available in that rechargeable GS/SX/MX25L2 series? Or is voltage the issue here?

2nd question: You measured 5.3 on lowest output but Eagletac says 28. That is quite a divergence. Is it likely that different samples vary alot at the lowest setting?

Dave

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm measuring 640 micro amps standby drain on mine (mt-g2 version, non-kit) which equates to 221 days with 3400mAh batteries. Not good :(