Eagletac SX25L3 (MT-G2, 3x18650/6xCR123A) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSHOTS+

AngryDaddyBird

Newly Enlightened
SelfbuiltDo you like the MT-G2 over the XM-L2 for general use Camping, property, ect.. ? Is the XM-L have sufficient spill for it or is it designed around throw?

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
221 days no good?

In real world, a half a year standby for a flashlight is horrible. 3 years is typical interval for non flashaholics, and even for flashaholics, many of my lights do stand by for half a year, since I have so many and need the extras for surge periods.

Though, in the real world, you could unscrew something, tape something, remove something, to make eliminate parasitic drain. Though, in the real world, it is easy to forget.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
SelfbuiltDo you like the MT-G2 over the XM-L2 for general use Camping, property, ect.. ? Is the XM-L have sufficient spill for it or is it designed around throw?
The MT-G2 is not designed for throw (quite the opposite, in fact). I like it as a general beam, because it generally produces a large hotspot and bright spill. The XM-L2 version is really for those who want more throw (with less overall light output).

That said, I would think this could be overkill for camping. ;) I personally like much smaller lights, and don't need that kind of max output, when roughing it.

AngryDaddyBird

Newly Enlightened
good point. maybe its overkill. I will stick with the GX25A3 and my Zebralight H51w for camping. I just ordered the SX25L3 kit from Andrew & Amanda. I coun't resist this light. everyone is talking about the tint and beam so bought it off impulse. lol. I have a P60 linger special in 5000k and think the tint is perfect so will like this for sure. I like Neutral and warm tints over cool whites.
thanks for answering my question.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
^

The wide base of the SX25L3 allows for stable tailstanding
that, along w/ the beam pattern of the MT-G2 makes for very good room/tent lighting via ceiling bounce.

It's like a lantern, light cannon, emergency beacon and forest sweeper in one long running, compact unit..:wave:

Keep your small edc handy for the hike

AngryDaddyBird

Newly Enlightened
^

The wide base of the SX25L3 allows for stable tailstanding
that, along w/ the beam pattern of the MT-G2 makes for very good room/tent lighting via ceiling bounce.

It's like a lantern, light cannon, emergency beacon and forest sweeper in one long running, compact unit..:wave:

Keep your small edc handy for the hike
That is what I needed to hear! I order the kit version.

RCantor

Enlightened
Finally, an upgrade to my Linger special :) Can't wait for the beam shots. Too bad the Crelant has so many flaws. An infinitely variable light with 4-5000 Lm in a neutral tint would be ideal and the Crelant G10 comes closest.

Thanks for the great reviews.

xed888

Enlightened
Does anyone know if the unprotected NCR18650A cells fit in this light? Thanks

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the unprotected NCR18650A cells fit in this light? Thanks

+

You do need button top cells

No worries w/ good unprotected cells because the SX25L3 gives a blink to let ya know it's time for a recharge.
(each 18650 gets to around 3V when it gives the blink)

Really a terrific light..:thumbsup:

Last edited:

mudjunky

Newly Enlightened
This is currently my favorite all around light. The flood is incredible. I used it on vacation where there were no street lights, and it illuminated the entire street.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
This is currently my favorite all around light. The flood is incredible. I used it on vacation where there were no street lights, and it illuminated the entire street.
Thanks for sharing. I have to say, I quite enjoy the beam profile of all the MT-G2 lights - huge output, nice big hotspot with tons of spill. And my preferred neutral white tint to boot.

YDrvSlo

Newly Enlightened
In the SB video overview, he uses two hands to adjust output. Is the head too stiff for one-hand output adjustment (thumb/index finger)? Guess I could tuck the head under my arm and then twist. :)

Thanks!

Gravitron

Newly Enlightened
You can use one hand to adjust between 2 levels easily enough and then use the long button press to jump to turbo.

In the SB video overview, he uses two hands to adjust output. Is the head too stiff for one-hand output adjustment (thumb/index finger)? Guess I could tuck the head under my arm and then twist. :)

Thanks!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
You can use one hand to adjust between 2 levels easily enough and then use the long button press to jump to turbo.
Yes, I would agree with this. Depending on the size off your hands though, it may be more of a challenge (especially if you want to move several levels).

xed888

Enlightened
does the head feel loose in the lowest mode? Is it one full turn to lowest mode? fancy getting one but not sold on the UI. anyone can alleviate my doubts?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

The head is not loose in low mode,, no worries.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
SX25L3027.jpg

From left to right: Eagletac Protected 18650 3400mAh, SX25L3; Niwalker BK-FA02; Crelant 7G10.

SX25L3026.jpg

From left to right: Eagletac Protected 18650 3400mAh, SX25L3, GX25A3; Duracell NiMH AA.
I think descriptions should be the other way round:sssh:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I've just updated the main thread with outdoor beamshots. :wave:

Al always, these are all done in the style of my earlier 100-yard round-up review. Please see that thread for a discussion of the topography (i.e. the road dips in the distance, to better show you the corona in the mid-ground). I think this batch of outdoor beamshots looks fairly good, due to all the Fall colors in the trees. :)

SX25L3-7G10-BKFA02.gif

SX25L3-7G10-BKFA02z.gif

The SX25L3 clearly has the lowest throw for the MT-G2 class so far. But you can also see how much brighter the spillbeam is (i.e., look at the bushes on the side of the path). It goes to show you the impact reflector design has on relative beam appearance. :whistle:

Also, please ignore any tint differences above – they are mainly due to the automatic white balance setting on the camera. In real life, the MT-G2 lights are consistently Neutral white.