EDC/High Lumen/Tough - Help & Education

Bostonbull

Newly Enlightened
Had a great chat with Randy over at Pflexpro. I'm going to be buying an M1 AP.

NEED HELP SETTING IT UP

Which emitter do I want and why? The XML2/XPL or the XPL HI?

Which tint? And why

He recommends the AR lens and Enhanced FC

Buy Sanyo batteries and a charger through him or different battery and charger elsewhere?

Last edited:

Boris74

Newly Enlightened

NEED HELP SETTING IT UP

Which tint? And why

Buy Sanyo batteries and a charger through him or different battery and charger elsewhere?

if you are looking to blind, as stated before, you want candela over lumens. High candela with high lumens is even better. My MT40GT on 90 lumens will blind better than my 600 lumen lights with much Lower candela. Of them ones listed the dedomed XPL HI V3 will give lots of candela and lots of throw. At the 1000 lumen setting it will cause pain to be felt in eyes up close. In reality just about any of them will do the same with high candela.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: EDC/High Lumen/Tough - Help & Education

Please don't start the same (duplicate) discussion in two separate threads here.

Please also no more discussion of intentional "blinding" , as offensive use of flashlights as weapons is not allowed on CPF

Thank you

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened

Please accept my apology for the comment above about "1000 lumens being enough to cause eye damage" that was more directed towards the user whether it be him or his family accidently or intentionally flashing the light in theirs or others eyes. Not necessarily being used for a weapon. I can edit it out if you believe it needs removed. I try to follow all rules to the utmost and was unaware of this one.:oops:. I also realize that ignorance is no excuse.

archimedes

Flashaholic

Thank you Gray, there were multiple comments here suggesting that this thread was trending towards a path of closure.

Without getting into the weeds of who said what where, this is the general rule here ...

No one on CPF should ... post any material ... which promotes activity that ... could reasonably be foreseen to threaten any person's safety.

Last edited:

Johnnyh

Enlightened

NEED HELP SETTING IT UP

Which tint? And why

Tint is a matter of preference but for my two cents I prefer High CRI and warmer tint in anything I get. Things just look better to me as I don't like the bluish effect of LEDs above 5700k. So my vote goes to XPL2 4000k 90 CRI. The XPL HI V3 in 5200k might be a nice compromise of tint and intensity. (Others can say it better than I, but cooler temps do have more "punch" at the same lumens but the increase is not worth it to me since 95% of the time I use my light for mundane around the house stuff at close range). I'd rather see objects closer to their true color than somewhat more illuminated.
Don't own the Xtar charger but from what I've heard they are a very good unit with a good reputation and the Sanyo 18650 GA is a good choice as well. For the sake of convenience, his price for the charger and battery seems very reasonable. Randy stands behind his builds as well. I think it's a great choice!

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

Which tint? And why

A lot of us on CPF are very particular about these things, but it comes down to preference. Personally, I'd opt for one of the 90+ CRI emitters. This means that your flashlight will render colors very accurately, but the trade off is output. It won't be as bright as, say, one of the 6000K cool white options. What's most important for this device? Raw power or color rendition?

Another thing to consider is throw. The XPL and XPL HI emitters will have a narrower beam than the XML2, and will throw further. The difference could be more or less significant, depending on the reflector. Since I don't have one of these, I can't comment on the exact specs. However, this flashlight will have a broad, useful beam regardless of which emitter you choose. Which is more important? Broader beam or narrower hotspot?

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened

Thank you Gray, there were multiple comments here suggesting that this thread was trending towards a path of closure.

Without getting into the weeds of who said what where, this is the general rule here ...

No one on CPF should ... post any material ... which promotes activity that ... could reasonably be foreseen to threaten any person's safety.

Thank you for the clarity archimedes!!!

Back to the OP, this may help you http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?356772-Police-Study-of-tactical-use-of-Strobe

Last edited:

Bostonbull

Newly Enlightened

I want as natural of a color as I can get. No blue tint if it is avoidable. I'll sometimes use this light at night for reading, and don't need blue tint.

Randy did mention the throw in the two is significant, close to 80 meters. I think I'd rather a shorter and wider throw for spotting animals at night? Or am I thinking wrong here and anything past 100' will be plenty lit up no matter which I choose?

This is mainly an outdoor light, keep that in mind. Where I live is urban, and light polluted. Something that can overcome that and make things appear as if daytime would be nice.

What else am I missing?

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

Taking those things into account, my top choices would be XPL2 U6 4000K 90CRI or Nichia 219C D240 90+CRI, either 4000K or 5000K.

There are probably several others that would satisfy. Anything in the range of 4000K to 5000K for color temperature will probably be around 80 CRI, which is pretty good. I have several devices like that. If you don't like the blue tint, then steer clear of anything with 6000K or 7000K.

Just real quick, color temperature is measured in degrees Kelvin. The higher numbers (6000K, 7000K) tend to have a "cooler" appearance and thus more blue. The "neutral" emitters are around 4000K to 5000K. Incandescent light bulbs in your house are in the neighborhood of 3000K, and are more yellow. I've over simplified, but this should help you make a decision.

Bostonbull

Newly Enlightened

I'm going to order this and hope for the best. Since I don't own a light currently and have no baseline, I am sure this will be terrific!

Bostonbull

Newly Enlightened

Will order tomorrow. Here is what I have in my cart. Anyone have any comments?

Convoy M1 HAIII Advance Program Forward Clicky
XML2 U3-3D 5000K
AR Lens
Enhanced Forward Clicky

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Sounds like a great unit! I like the LED choice, 4k to 5k hits the sweet spot for me....Getting the charger/battery? Looks like you'll have a lot of options as far as modes go...(I just read up on the advance program)...wow! 16 Billion combinations!!!!??? What the....? I could play with that for days...maybe weeks.
I also like the sound of what he does on the enhanced forward clicky. You know...I wasn't really cruising for a new light but this has got me thinking...