EDC light to carry loose in pocket, single cell.

atxlight

Newly Enlightened
It sounds like OP might be set on AA or CR123 models, but don't discount the AAA lights for EDC as others have noted here. Unless you specifically need your EDC for work or something else, I have found that the AAA lights more than solve for any of my needs (for EDC purposes). I am always picking out out a more powerful light for other purposes as needed (and my EDC stays in the pocket as backup). I carried a Fenix LD01 for a long time and would definitely recommend that guy. My current EDC is a Peak Eiger AAA in stainless steel. While it is longer than the LD01, it is noticeably thinner. As someone else previously mentioned, trading off length for width is usually ok and perhaps more desirable in some cases (insert joke). I carry my Peak loose in my pocket and while it's also heavier than the LD01, I almost never notice it.

For the loose pocket carry, the more compact the better IMO as you don't want to notice it constantly or have it bother you in any way when not in use. Once that becomes the case, it tends to become demoted from EDC status. If you don't mind a fat little CR123 or slightly larger AA in your pocket, then by all means go for it!

dwburke811

Newly Enlightened
I'm really torn on what size I want I guess. I don't "think" the width of a CR123, but then again I don't really know. I don't have a keychain, so it will be loose in my pocket. Now I'm not sure if a LD15, or even a LD01, would be a better choice. Thinking about it I do see where people are coming from that width would be more of a problem, so thinking maybe a LD15/01 might be a better choice. I would just get both a E15 and LD15/01, but I would rather just get which one fits the job best and put the money I would have spent on the other toward a light that fits a different usage. In time I'm sure I'll have multiple lights that are EDC size, but I'd rather have a more complete collection first.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
It can be tough to decide for sure.

Like I said this is exactly what I have right now,an E15 and an LD01 and I use both of them all the time.
Neither feel too big to me.

I do have keys though and multiple key rings.
I also work on Tech. all the time and as I age I am not getting a Keener sense of sight if you get my drift?

So I find myself needing to light things up a lot if I want to really see them like I need to.
I wouldn't think of only carrying one light as I need to have light no matter what and the redundancy gives me peace of mind.
Both lights seem to have decent battery life and I rarely use either one at full output but either one can light up the whole area outside at night when needed.

I camp a lot too and usually will have a bigger light or two on me then but I have had no problems so far when I didn't either.

I also get a lot of satisfaction out of the lights themselves when they are nicely designed and implemented and both of the ones in my pockets are little works of art to me.
I don't wear any other "Jewelry" at all!

I'm really torn on what size I want I guess. I don't "think" the width of a CR123, but then again I don't really know. I don't have a keychain, so it will be loose in my pocket. Now I'm not sure if a LD15, or even a LD01, would be a better choice. Thinking about it I do see where people are coming from that width would be more of a problem, so thinking maybe a LD15/01 might be a better choice. I would just get both a E15 and LD15/01, but I would rather just get which one fits the job best and put the money I would have spent on the other toward a light that fits a different usage. In time I'm sure I'll have multiple lights that are EDC size, but I'd rather have a more complete collection first.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, size-wise:
1) Coin sized CR2016/2025/2032 lithiums.
2) 1x AAA alkaline/NiMH for say LD01 73 lumens. Certainly thin.
3) 1x AA alkaline/NiMH for say LD15 117 lumens.
4) 1x CR2 lithium Foursevens Mini MLR2 @ 180 lumens.
5) 1x CR123 lithium Foursevens Mini ML-X @ 210 lumens. Short and fat.
They may be fat, but thanks to their higher voltage, the lithiums have a lot more power.
They are all good. Horses for courses...

Last edited:

dwburke811

Newly Enlightened
So going with a LD15 seems like the best first idea. I was thinking about it and can see where the width of the body is more noticeable really in day to day carry; I've never wished my "key-less" key fob was shorter, but I have wished it was thinner.

I've also decided rather than building my "ultimate" MagLite for a couple hundred dollars, I would start my collection of nice flashlights. I'm completely sold on getting a TK35 and LD32(T6), and also like the looks of the E50; along with a LD15 I figure this is a good base to start with and build on?

dwburke811

Newly Enlightened
That's what I'm worried would happen: spend a few hundred, play with it for 5 minutes, then never use it again. I still want to build one eventually, but when the TK35 is 860 lumens and less than 6.5", it's hard to justify getting the Mag. I keep my 2D Pro on my nightstand for it's club like form factor, but in all honesty I want my flashlights to be flashlights and my weapons to be semi automatic, so I think I'll really like a smaller light.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite is the iTP A3 EOS 3 Modes Cree R5 Upgraded 96 lumensLED . Uses 1 AAA. On ebay for $19.95 shipped.

Jerry

StarHalo

Flashaholic
And the next Zebralight SC600 will push 900 lumens from under 4"; it's not a good time for larger lights that aren't multi-emitter..

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
And the next Zebralight SC600 will push 900 lumens from under 4"; it's not a good time for larger lights that aren't multi-emitter..

It's true that it's rather impressive, but for practical usage, larger lights may provide more useable runtimes... a sub 4" light would be the show off trophy pocket rocket, right?

Last edited:

Pretbek

Newly Enlightened
It's true that it's rather impressive, but for practical usage, larger lights may provide more useable runtimes... a sub 4" light would be the show off trophy pocket rocket, right?

That, or a small and convenient always-with-you light.
For me an SC600 is about the limit for a pocket carry light. Any bigger and it would need to be carried in a bag or glove box or something like that. Oh, a holster maybe, but I don't want a holster anything.

dwburke811

Newly Enlightened
TK35, PD32(T6), LD22 S2, in addition to a LD15 and E15. Does that sound like a good range of lights to get? Not sure if I should start a new thread or keep posting here?

And I thought it has hard picking out one flashligh lol.

StarHalo

Flashaholic

200 lumens for 6 hours, rather impressive for a single cell light.

Does that sound like a good range of lights to get?

Define the application, then assign a light.

dwburke811

Newly Enlightened
Fair enough. Here's what I'm thinking:

First I want a light to keep on my nightstand, mostly for things that go "bump in the night;" something bright enough to completely light a very large, dark room, with a beam that will disorient an intruder as I proceed to shoot them; strobe might be nice but probably wouldn't actually use it? It's going to stay on my nightstand so it doesn't have to be small, but at times I will be using my non-dominant hand to use it. I'm thinking a TK35 would be good for this.

Next is a light to use when I take our dogs out, my short hair dachshund and my girlfriend's 3 pound Maltese. The far back parts of our back yard gets pretty dark; around our neighborhood is well lit, but when I take my dachshund on long(er) walks the roads range from dimly lit to not lit. Since he has short legs I don't run with him, I will jog a little so he can sprint but that is only a minute or two max. Having a clip is a huge plus as I won't always have pockets and may need to have both hands free at times. I'm thinking either a PD32(T6) or a TK22, I like the size/body of the PD32 and the output of the TK22, but I'm thinking the PD32 will be more than sufficient, and having a more flood light will probably be a plus.

An around the house light. What it says, something all around. Doesn't have to be small, but I don't want something big just to be big. The E50 looks like it would be good for this.

Then thinking a few E11s to have around in the bathrooms, office, kitchen...

And have my 2D Pro Mag that I'll fit in somewhere, while I'll probably retire my Coast G25s and 2C Wel-Bilt to the kitchen cabinet we keep batteries, light bulbs, etc in.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
- Your nightstand night will spend somewhere over 99.999% of its life going back and forth from the bathroom/other rooms and generally providing light low enough that it won't disturb anyone else; save the tactical light for your Picatinny rail. Get something with a good moonlight mode, a fraction of a lumen.

- For night strolls anywhere near a road, I prefer a light that can match other cars' headlights and will ensure I can be seen from any direction; the TK35 or similar would be excellent in this role. With these levels of output, when you shine the light down the road, it looks about the same as when you drive down it, making it very easy to get your bearings.

- A house light should have a broad beam and good efficiency/runtimes over high output; there's no use for a thrower indoors, and when this light gets called on for power outage duty, it needs to be ready for many hours of just-enough lighting, not insane blinding light levels. I also prefer neutral/warm tints in this role; the warmer hues are cozy and comforting for room lighting, much more welcoming than the sterile, clinical cool tints.

Tegan's Dad

Newly Enlightened
best light in my opinion is the preon p1. No knurlies to get stuff scuffed up in your pocket. Only problem is that its so darn smooth it might slip out when you sit down. If you tie the preon to your remote or something then it should be ok.

I lost a Fischer Bullet pen this way. Took the clip off because it kept sliding off anyway, and as I was sitting on the floor of the car dealership playing with my daughter while my truck was being serviced, the pen slipped out. Didn't notice until that night and by then it was long gone. I'd hate for that to happen to a light and find myself in the dark!

dwburke811

Newly Enlightened
- I see where you're coming from with the nightstand light. I'll look for something with a low lumen mode. I keep a Glock 26 in my nightstand, so I don't have anything with a rail, yet. I'm hoping my girlfriend takes the hints that I want a tactical shotgun for Xmas, which will be outfitted with a rail and light.

- TK35 would be perfect for taking the dogs out, but I wish it had a pocket clip. I do take him out rather often wearing pajama pants that don't all have pockets. I guess I could put the holster on the grip of his lead, but it's a nice braided kangaroo leather lead so I would rather not do that. I guess I could always wear the holster on my pants that don't have pockets, but I really don't like wearing any holsters or anything on my belt/waist.

- And again you're on point about the E50; you seem to think logically, while I think "that's a lot of lumens, maybe that's almost enough." Having a thrower to use indoors doesn't make much sense at all. I actually almost prefer "cool white" light, but my girlfriend greatly disagrees with me. Would something like a LD12 or LD22 be a good pick?

Thanks for all your help, I never knew there was such an in depth flashlight market. While I also didn't know how much flashlights could cost, I just got out of a heavy R/C hobby where a $300 engine was considered a lower end, and an engine lasts 10 race weekend. When I look at it that way spending a couple hundred on a flashlight that will last forever doesn't seem crazy at all