EDC: One light or several?

Do you prefer one light for EDC, or multiple?

• Single do-it-all light

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Multiple specialized lights

Votes: 25 71.4%

• Total voters

300WSM

Newly Enlightened
Just out of habit I have taken to carrying three lights in an EDC capacity.:rock:They include a key chain light, an Eagletac D25A2 in my pocket sheath and an S2 Convoy in my Maxpedition EDC pouch in my cargo pocket of my pants. This does not include the three lights in my BOB in my car and the several lights in my desk drawer at work. You can't have too many. The main reason for several EDC lights is as I get older, I may forget my pocket sheath some days and the BOB lights are locked under my cargo net to keep the citizens honest. But with the light in my Maxpedition pouch (and it's a real thrower for its size) I am not short of having something when I need it. My work lights are all Streamlight Stylus Pros that my company provides but I like more light when I am inspecting a newly delivered and unpacked quarter of a million dollar line pump.:naughty:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd....744_779732085370896_5763194291095225936_n.jpg
1609744_779732085370896_5763194291095225936_n.jpg
10245287_781032885240816_5005597839586331961_n.jpg

Last edited:

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just talked to my leather guy about doing a combo sheath like that.
Had to show him your pictures.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part of the fun of EDC for me is rotating several lights, so I have quite a few. I try to match them to where I am going e.g. Movie theater=QTA with moonlight mode, farmland=LX2 with "backup" Solarforce M9.

weez82

Enlightened
You really need to figure out what works for you. I dislike that generic comment but it's true. You mention "bump in the night" in a few of your posts. Edc most of the time doesn't cover that. Unless you use your edc light as a bedside/home light. An edc light is something you'll have on you when you leave home. How many and what type of light you need is easy to figure out.

If you already have a light, carry it everyday. Take note of how often you use it, what you use it for, and is it over kill or not enough light for the tasks you do. Also take note of comfort. If it's not comfortable then chances are you're not going to carry it daily.

An example of how I came to my edc choice. I started out carrying a fenix ld10 and I took note of how often I used it, what I was using it for and what modes I was using the most. I came to the conclusion that it was too much light for what I needed for an edc. I didn't use it daily and when I did use it I used low mode most of the time. Even though it was comfortable to carry there was no point in doing so. So I switched to just having a fenix e01 on my keychain. It does everything I need my edc to do and I'm happier that one of my pockets is free.

Now if you don't have a light then all you need to do is take note of every time you needed a light but didn't have one and what did you need it for.

LGT

Enlightened
At a minimum, and most of the time, I'll carry two. If I'm going to a night time event I'll carry three. When going to work I have a good thrower, two head-lamps, and a few midrange throwers in my tote bag because I never know when my 7a to 3p day will turn into an around the clock shift.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
I didn't answer the poll, because there is no such thing as a single light that can do everything. There are trade-offs all around.

Most people who EDC, on their person, ie, in their pocket, carry small lights, IE an AA, or AAA light. Some carry a CR123, fewer yet EDC an 18650 celled light. However, those who carry a firearm, are more likely to carry an 18650 light, than those who do not carry a sidearm.

With that said, and the fact that you stated that you carry, you might do well to get an 18650 light that will fit your requirements.

Personally my edc is a little little AAA keychain light.

I have a number of every day USE lights, on my desk, in my car, etc, but I don't carry them on my person (usually). I also have some specialty lights, in that they were bought for a specific purpose.

Good luck.

300WSM

Newly Enlightened
Poppy,
Very well said. I carry a light to work (you could call it EDC) because I use it at work and it is what I NEED to carefully inspect a very expensive piece of equipment after (or more accurately during) the unpacking process but if I want to see my door lock clearly coming home from a late evening activity, I reach for the little Streamlight Nano on my keychain. It's handy and on the same ring as my keys. That NANO is truly my EDC.

The EagleTac in my sheath is (for the majority of use) for work related tasks. I am more likely to slip my Queen Mountain Man in my pocket to go out in the evening and more likely to leave the sheath containing my ESEE IZULA II AND my EagleTac D25A2 at home. After thinking this through, Poppy, you have articulated a very salient point about EDC lights. Kudos to you. :thumbsup:

kbuzbee

Enlightened
Poppy, you have articulated a very salient point about EDC lights. Kudos to you. :thumbsup:

He has a tendency to do that ;)

As for me, I DO consider my EDC what I carry around the house. We're retired and don't go out much (grocery and doctors appoints cover 90% of it ;) ) but I always have a light in my pocket in and around the house. Generally a CR123 format light of some sort. Same light I'll carry when I'm out (plus an Eiger on my keys) Honestly, the Eiger would handle most everything I need. And of course there are other lights stashed in the car. ;) It's a sickness, really ;)

Ken

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
It really really is.
I find myself just buying lights because new emitters come out, more power is achieved, absolutely not for necessity.

But it's fun to me.

I have GAS

Gear acquisition syndrome.

Another horrible problem in life explained by "GAS" lol

lunas

Enlightened
i carry 3 lights on me a xp-g2 aaa light a q5 aa or 14500 3 modes light a wf-501b 18650 with a xml2-u2 1 mode

the big one sees the most use.

in my car i have 2 lights a coleman max 250 lm 6 aa light a 2c maglight with older maglight 4c/d drop in about 140lm

then in my laptop bag i keep a 2 aaa led maglight at 86lm

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently I carry a Zebralight H600w MKII in front pocket. In the back pocket is the Inova XS attached to my house keys. In my bag i rotate the Nitecore MT21A / Inova X2 / Maglite Pro LED / Zebralight SC52(with 14500) and spare AA batteries.

Esko

Enlightened
I didn't answer the poll, because there is no such thing as a single light that can do everything. There are trade-offs all around.

A single do-it-all light means that you have a single light that is used for everything when light is needed and no other light happens to be at hand. Not that it can do everything (well). There are trade-offs also in needing to carry multiple different lights every day, all the time.

mbw_151

Enlightened
I voted a single light because the only light I call all the time is a Photon Freedom. It's job is to keep me out of the dark long enough to do a quick task or get me to more substantial light. I have lights deployed within reach; at work, in vehicles, and at home in many places. I'll carry something bigger if the situation suggests that something larger than a Photon should be in my pocket. It's the same with knives, I EDC a small Swiss Army Rambler, but there are knives deployed and I'll carry something larger if warranted. This approach also allows me to justify more and varied lights and knives, rationalization, overkill, whatever.

liteningbug

Newly Enlightened
Most people who EDC, on their person, ie, in their pocket, carry small lights, IE an AA, or AAA light. Some carry a CR123, fewer yet EDC an 18650 celled light. However, those who carry a firearm, are more likely to carry an 18650 light, than those who do not carry a sidearm.

With that said, and the fact that you stated that you carry, you might do well to get an 18650 light that will fit your requirements.

Can you elaborate on this? As I understood it from my carry class instructor, one DIDN'T want the brightest light around because the glare could be problematic, especially indoors. But maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think he meant anything about the brightness. That's just the most common size light to accompany a sidearm.

But I apologize if I've misinterpreted.

Taz80

Enlightened
I believe it's because of the way you hold the gun and light when you shoot. The light has to have a forward clicky with momentary. And has to be long enough to go from your thumb across your palm and out the other side. Also the 18650 will give you much longer run times.

Poppy

Flashaholic
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Poppy

Can you elaborate on this? As I understood it from my carry class instructor, one DIDN'T want the brightest light around because the glare could be problematic, especially indoors. But maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

Please note: I said NOTHING about BRIGHTNESS!
I said: With that said, and the fact that you stated that you carry, you might do well to get an 18650 light that will fit your requirements.

What part of that statement do you not understand?

----------------------------------------------------------------

What are your requirements?
you want low lumens, mid lumens, and large capacity battery so that after running the light for hours you can still have a high! That pretty much calls for the capacity of an 18650 battery.

you want to use it while carrying a gun, and maybe shoot in low light conditions?
Well you don't want a twisty light... two handed operation lights (twisty) or measly skinny little lights. Your fine motor skills in a shoot or die situation will be out the window. You'll want a light that's body is big enough to grasp with crude motor skills, and a big protruding ON switch button.

I am not knowledgeable enough to be able to recommend a particular shooting with a flashlight position/stance, or the best beam profile. There are others here who are better qualified to answer questions like that.

liteningbug

Newly Enlightened
Please note: I said NOTHING about BRIGHTNESS!
I said: With that said, and the fact that you stated that you carry, you might do well to get an 18650 light that will fit your requirements.

What part of that statement do you not understand?

Sorry about that. I thought 18650s were normally recommended for high-lumen lights. As I suspected, I was misunderstanding you (and showing a distinct lack of knowledge while doing so!).

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
And remember you always have lower modes. A bright light with a big battery is very comfortable running on low for ages.
So a bright light, doesn't have to be a bright light ;)