EDC Pen?

Lintott

Newly Enlightened
Here's my current EDC pen. It is a Tombow Object XL, which is a telescoping pen. It has got a pressurised refill, can write on wet paper, at an angle or upside down[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] .[/font] It can be activated and deactivated with one hand (which is a problem with my Fisher space pen and I suppose would be a problem with the Inka pen if you want to use it at full length). The Tombow got a very nice solid quality feel to it when activating and deactivating it (it locks deactivated with a click). It weighs 21 grams. Highly recommended!!

dsc001003ri.jpg

dsc001013ld.jpg

I also sometimes use the LAMY Pico as an EDC, and it is nice as well but I like the Tombow better mainly due to better build quality and a more solid feel when acitvating and deactivating the pen. The Pico can also be operated with one hand.

Lintott

Newly Enlightened
The Tombow is a ballpoint and it is about as smooth as any other good ballpoint pen I have written with. The main difference compared to the Fisher space pen that I have noticed is that I have to write with the Fisher space pen more upright than I would like to, otherwise the edge around the ballpoint scratches the paper which I find very annoying. Hence I do not use the space pen anymore.

My guess is that the Tombow is made from aluminum, but I could be wrong.

I have never tried the Inka pen.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Wow! I like that Tombow you've got there Lintott. Wonder if it'll take RB or Gel refills though. . .

Enjoy!

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
Lintott, does the Tombow Object XL ever end up with the tip exposed in your pocket? I have one of the telescoping Fisher pens, and most of the time it would come out of my pocket with the retractable tip pushed in. Many pockets with ink on the inside. Luckily the Fisher ink doesn't soak into things, and nobody can see the insdies of my pockets.:) Some stuff in my pockets ended up with ink on it too, and that was more problematic. I never carry the Fisher telescoping pen because of this.

If the Tombow is immune to this I will buy one ASAP, because I already like the way it looks. The hole for keyring or lanyard is a strong selling point too.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lintott

Newly Enlightened
Alloy Addict, no the tip has not become exposed by accident when carrying the pen in my pocket yet, but I have only had the pen for a couple of weeks. I can however see how it could happen if enough pressure is put on the tip cover. I do not think this will happen to me during normal carrying though.

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
I forgot to mention what my most carried pens are.

I usually carry a Fisher bullet style Spacepen with some shrink tubing on the cap to keep it from slipping out of my pocket so easily. I've lost at least 3 because they are so smooth. Somebody will reach down into their couch some day and find a nice pen.

I also carry a Cross Ion occasionally, or a Zebra telescoping pen. If I have a shirt pocket I have an older Rotring 600 that I love. When I used to work retail people always commented on how heavy the Rotring was when I handed it to them so they could sign the credit card receipt.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Question for all ya'll. How's the "feel" of the other EDC'able pens (Fisher, Tombow, Inka, etc.) in your writing hand as compared to the A.T. Cross Ion?

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
The Ion feels really good in my hand, but only in one position really. That means I have to look at it to orient it the right way. The Fisher doesn't have this problem, though the groove around the grip area can be a little abrasive if you use the pen for a long time. I usually use it for short periods though, and it's not bad.

If I know I will be writing for a long time I will usually use a Pilot G-2 or a Dr. Grip.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Right you are Paul!

Simply wanted to know about how it "feels" for short writing sessions. The "heftier" pens with some pronounced girth works very well for me, while the slimline ones tends to "cramp" up my hands. Wanted to know the others feedback on it.

Thanks!

Anymore?

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
Double A,

The Jotter is a classic pen IMO. Very affordable and the pen itself will last forever if not abused. The Parker refills are good, plus the style is so common there are lots of other choices.

CHC,

I hear what you are saying about some pens being too slim. The bullet Spacepen might fall into that category for me, but not for jotting down a note or writing a check.

I like the fact that the Ion's rubber grip keeps it from sliding out of the pocket so easily.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightbringer said:
I'd go for the Fisher bullet pen. Small and fairly good. Not too expensive, so losing it wont make you cry too much. I usually have two on me...one clipped in a pocket and another in my wallet.

I had one of these about 10 years ago.

The ink was goopy, smearing on the writing surface. When I pulled the cap off, there was always a blob of ink sticking on the tip of the pen.

Are they any better now?

Bob

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've lately been clipping a nice little Zebra telescoping pen to my pant's pocket. Less than 4" long retracted. Works fine. I've used other Zebras for years and never been disappointed.

Geoff

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
Flying Turtle said:
I've lately been clipping a nice little Zebra telescoping pen to my pant's pocket. Less than 4" long retracted. Works fine. I've used other Zebras for years and never been disappointed.

Geoff

That's probably the one I mentioned a few posts up. I got two pens with two refills for ~$5. What a bargain!

The refills don't last very long though.

Bob,
The Fisher refills have gotten better since then. I stopped using them for a while because of that same problem. The ones I had in the 80's were great (I have one from 1986 that I still use occasionally), then they got pretty spotty on QC, and now they seem to be a lot better. I do have one right now that will sometimes have a small amount of ink on the tip, but nothing like they used to. The 3 or 4 other recent ones I have are fine.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hello Alloy Addict!

Yes, you're right about the A.T. Cross Ion's rubber nubs(sp?) being great for stopping the fingers from sliding forward while writing and aiding in a firm grip. That's why I like EDC'ing this particular pen, and its girth is much better "feeling" in my hands as compared to what I can "see" in the slimline Fisher Pens.

I thought there was another small statured pen that had some girth and heft to it sometime ago. It was made by a famous architect/artist/person(?) that I don't recall. I think he designed the Carrera line of accessories? . . .Each pen came with a leather case. :thinking:

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
This is the one I carry:

70122.jpg

Can't stand a skinny pen and this one is really comfortable. It's made by Papermate and called the PhD Metallic.

Last edited: