EDC'ing five different lights -- well-prepared or simply insane?

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mean five small lights.

I'm currently carrying a TN11 in my pocket; Javelin Shorty with Surefire FM34 and extender on my neck; Quark X Tactical with AA body with Fenix AD401, Ultrafire A3 3-mode AAA, and Arc-AAA UV on my keychain.

Supporting all that is an A&P keyring with one AW IMR123A, two Tenergy LiFePO4, three CR123A, one Energizer AA and one AAA lithiums.

And they are all carried daily. As in, I never leave the house without them. Two of the lights are already considered to be absolute gargantuan to be EDC'd by many people.

I guess having a 2x123A high-power thrower, 1x123A/AA thrower/flooder, 1xAA flooder, 1xAAA beater/loaner and 1xAAA black light is a decent combination but... Is this too much? Does anyone else besides me EDC this kind of load?

Last edited:

varmint

Enlightened
Here every day I have a Fenix E15 and Microstream in my pocket and a larger light in my truck along with my EDC stuff, every early am and pm I have either my TN11 or Derrelight with me or both. I carry a small zip up bag with things I may need daily also, Terralux light, 2 knives, extra magazine and ammo and tools etc, so your not alone there!

egrep

Enlightened
My flashlight EDC for the past several months has been a V10R Ti with 18650 or 18500 Steve Ku tube in a cargo leg pocket with a clip. A Ku Gavina with the 123 tube in a Thor's Hammer belt sheath, a Lummi WeeNS on my car key and a Ku 40DD on my neck. BC-40 in my backpack (replacing with SWM T40CS soon, maybe after this post) and 4sevens Turbo-X with 18650 tube in the car.

Different tints and beam characteristics to each light. Different locations and purposes. Man Jewelry with function. I'm the kid who always took his toys everywhere, dinner, the bath, school, etc... I never have grown up.

Of course it doesn't hurt that I'm quite completely insane. ;)

geckoblink

Newly Enlightened
I typically carry a Fenix E01 on my keychain, a Surefire E1B, a Fenix LD10, and a Sunwayman V20C. I carry spare batteries as well - 6xAAA, 4xAA, and 4xcr123.

If I wear a coat or a jacket I'll have another light in one of the pockets depending on what I feel like taking. My jacket has a 4sevens Preon II and a Fenix LD10 in it. My coat has an Olight I15.

cummins4x4

Enlightened
My EDC is a V10R, L10R and a ITP EOS SS on my truck key. Spyderco Sage Ti and Kiwi. And if it was legal here I would also be carrying my Sig 226 and a couple of mags.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Only Five ? ? ?

" They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha Ha "

BTW -- as somebody posted once: There's a fine line between EDC and OCD.

lovecpf
_

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it's as crazy as someone who likes to read a lot carrying five books around, if you like messing with them through the day or realistically might need to use them all...
If it's a preparedness thing then I'd expect you have 5 redundant ways to produce fire, various forms of cordage, multiple cutting tools, etc. etc.
Flashlights are fun, I really want a light saber.

Streamer

Enlightened
Only 5 ? Might make more sense to consider having an led built into the end of each digit on either hand.

Seriously though, I can't remember carrying five sources of light even when I was spelunkin' in the Sierra Madres.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
LOL

If working, I'll have a Klarus XT11 in my pocket with an XeLED UV 390 nm and a Tank007 365 nm UV (That's 3 right there). I have a Klarus Mi10 on my keychain. That's 4. In my coat pocket, I might have a foursevens S12 and/or a Klarus XT20 (That's 5 or 6).

If I'm not working, I'll typically have at least the XT11 and the Mi10 on me.

:party:

Essentially, if I'm working, I'm collecting forensic evidence, and that takes a lot of light, and different frequencies (Like the UV ranges...). The XT11 is the default light, as that gives me a nice color rendition, with 10 to 600 lumens as needed. The XT20 gives me some more range/flood for larger areas. The S12 has a warmer tint which is useful, and more throw than the XT11 (800 lm instead of 600 lm, etc...)

The Mi10 gives firefly level light on low, maybe 30 lm on medium, and 80 lm on hi, and is useful for not bumping into stuff/looking at paperwork, finding a key hole, etc.

There's also some redundancy, as where I'm crawling around, its possible to lose a light...or just be there long enough to kill the batteries, and having a Plan B light is vital.

So, there's a METHOD to the MADNESS.

:huh:

Last edited:

ico

Enlightened
Do you use them for work or something?

I used to edc 1 light. Then it became 2. Then 3. But after sometime, I though about it being too much so I was left with 2 being an hds and a fenix e05 and I just put the other one in my bag.

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
I started out with one light and that needed to be a security light to shine in the dark to look for bad guys. From there I came to the conclusion that I needed a backup light incase the first went dead. My first, the security light is a LX2 and thus very throwy so I decided the other would have to be floody to make up for it, so my back up is a quark x neutral. However, before all of this I carried an upper body light with me, a preon 1 S2. This light I attach to my shirt and I can use it when I am sitting without having to mess around in my pockets trying to retrieve a light. So there, I am stuck with 3 lights. I wanted to only carry two but I just can't do without the preon. It is just too perfect, small and floody with an awesome low 2or 3 lumens.

I forgot to mention the nano on my keychain! So that is 4

Xacto

Enlightened
48f602d5.jpg

Here is what I have currently on my desk at work - all EDC'ed today.

I grabbed the Surefire 9P with KX4D more or less out of a mood this morning.

The G2X Tactical is my EDC on my belt using a V25 holster.

The Surefire 6P OG is equipped with a Solarforce 240lm single mode drop-in. I carry it since I just recently installed the drop-in and like the feel of the old style, non-lockout tailcap (big, knurled rubber pad, loose innards)

The Jetbeam BC10 is sort of still on trial (if I get a second and possible third one for the collection/safe keeping and as a resident light in my Hazard4 Tonto). I bought it because of the switch having a long way between momentary on and constant on.

Not in the picture is a Fenix E05 that resides on my car keys and nicely lights up my passenger seat when I unload things from there.
For real, grave emergencies I carry a Fenix E01 with a lithium primary sealed in a small plastic bag in my jeans pocket. It would be used if e.g. I would be trapped somewhere and it wouldn't be feasible to use one of the other lights I would have with me in that situation.

Cheers
Thorsten

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
To the OP:

TEEJ has described a set of lights which are used for different purposes at work. This makes sense and the lights are most likely carried in a tool case.

To have five lights on your person at all times seems excessive to me (and I am a diagnosed flashaholic), but before passing judgement I would ask if there is any reason you feel the need to have them all (like working 2 miles underground in a mine)? Do you have a problem with your vision and need extra light to read or see properly?

Despite my love for all things light emitting I have the good fortune to have two of nature's fine light detectors fitted in my head. They are very sensitive and do not require man made light sources in most situations. I mostly have to find reasons to use the lights I have and wouldn't want to weighed down with 5 lights unless I had reason to use them constantly.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Hmmm, let me have a look at what I'm currently carrying :

Photon freedom on necklace
ITP A3 EOS AAA (eneloop) and fauxton and trit marker on house keys
ITP A3 EOS AAA (10440) and fauxton in shorts pockets
Micro red led light in wallet

That makes 7 different light sources, so I guess I'm not in a strong position to throw any stones.

If I'm carrying my car or my van keys the number jumps up another 3 to a total of 10 (I have 2 fauxtons and a trit marker on each).

In my defence all these are small or very small and light. I carry lots of fauxtons as give-aways as well as back-up to the back-up.

Besides, I have a reputation as a well-prepared light-geek to uphold (I don't use the term "flashaholic" very often as it has an unfortunate connotation - here in Australia a "flasher" is a male who exposes his private parts to shock women and girls).

Of course if I am going out at night there are more lights in both vehicles, and I might grab a few of the big guns depending on what I expect to be doing.

Last edited:

OKWalker

Newly Enlightened
Mini-123 on my keychain
Preon II in my shirt pocket
Quark-123^2 in my jacket pocket
Surefire C2 with Nailbender XML drop-in in my bag
Mini-AA^2 in my truck.

So only 3 lights on my person, but 5 total with me. You're maybe slightly over the top but not too bad from where I sit.

tam17

Enlightened
My EDC setup at the moment consists of Jetbeam PA01 and Fenix E05 as a backup light. I don't carry anything bigger since 140lm (max) does the job. What's equally important, this combo is lightweight and compact, allowing me to carry other useful stuff. In case of power outages (possible scenario for the next week or so), I'll consider a third light (Jetbeam PA40W), but that's already an emergency situation...

Cheers,

Tam