• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

El Capitan Release

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
it appears that the HA-III models are sold out:mecry:

my ? is what are the pro's and cons of having a brass/stainless light? I've tried searching for some answers but only came up w/ posts concerning thermal conductivity and wear resistance. So will brass hold up longer than say aluminum?

thanks

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brass pros: Next to gold, it is the most beautiful whether polished or not; polishing is easy and rewarding whether the body is knurled or not; its weight lets you know you're not holding some flimsy trinket; its threads, when carefully machined as are Peaks, are silky smooth.

Brass cons: Drop it on a hard enough surface from high enough and it can be dented; larger brass lights may be a bit heavy for pocket carry; longer brass lights on a keychain can really bang your dashboard on a washboard road; kitchen smells like Brasso; everybody wants your light.

SS pros: SS looks far better than HAIII, and knurled SS Peaks are especially attractive; it can be polished (though not as easily as brass) and stays polished a long time; it has to be really abused before its appearance is damaged at all (and you would need a microscope to detect scratches or dings on a SS Peak); on smaller lights, its added weight is not an issue for keychain or pocket carry.

SS cons: It's not as beautiful as gold or brass; need to keep the threads lightly lubricated; no other cons that I can think of at the moment.

Whether any of the three metals will hold up longer depends on its use and abuse. If it will be used as a tool, select SS; for edc or casual use it probably doesn't matter. And just so I won't be accused of being entirely subjective, I would point out that all lights, whether constructed of HAIII, SS or beloved Brass, will fall in a vacuum at the same rate.

Last edited:

tucolino

Newly Enlightened
well after a little wait,finally i received my new el capitan ss #6 narrow optic.
what a beauty!!!!it´s still early here,and sun is shining,so i have to wait till night to prove it properly,but first impressions are good,incredible good.
looks like a bomb proof little light.i only feel the same sturdiness from my ra twisty,something i like very much.
i´ll post some pictures when i get home later.
thanks curt and robyn.it was quite a wait, but worth it!!!

J33psr0ck

Newly Enlightened
I am looking at picking up another El Capitan myself. It's a great light. On 14500 the thing is a beast. Congrats on getting a great light.:thumbsup:

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
have resisted the El Capitan so far- went from the Eiger to Logan......great lights:popcorn:

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the El Capitan available in keychain lug body? I'm interested in getting one, if this body style is supported. Thanks.

-Amarendra

The El Capitan has been produced in both the pocket and keychain/momentary bodies, but I don't recall seeing the LUG body for the El Capitan (or for the Kilimanjaro on which the El Cap body was based). I think there were some prototype lug bodies for the Pacific (not interchangeable with the El Cap) and perhaps others, but I'm not sure. This is a question for Curt.

As an aside, I carried a keychain El Cap with my car keys - for about a minute - but concluded that the beautiful, polished brass in this sucker weighed about as much as a blacksmith's anvil. In HAIII, with a lightweight Energizer Lithium, it would probably be light enough for a keyring.

The El Capitan has been produced in both the pocket and keychain/momentary bodies, but I don't recall seeing the LUG body for the El Capitan (or for the Kilimanjaro on which the El Cap body was based). I think there were some prototype lug bodies for the Pacific (not interchangeable with the El Cap) and perhaps others, but I'm not sure. This is a question for Curt.

As an aside, I carried a keychain El Cap with my car keys - for about a minute - but concluded that the beautiful, polished brass in this sucker weighed about as much as a blacksmith's anvil. In HAIII, with a lightweight Energizer Lithium, it would probably be light enough for a keyring.

Ah yes, I meant the keychain body (not the fixed lug). I have some keychain bodies that are, of course, able to swap between KC and MOM switches. :twothumbs

pmek5

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so I have been recently looking at the El Capitan, and looking at various threads regarding somewhere I saw that the #8 narrow head is around 300 lumen (assuming a 14500 battery?). Is that correct? Does anyone have that setup, and could tell me what the runtime is. Earlier in this thread Curt said there is an 85% increase with the "narrow". I saw a figure of 3400 fc, but that does not help a dufiss like me.

Thanks,

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one and it is very bright. Sorry, can,t say on runtime, I recharge often! :D

I believe the #8s are direct drive, probably get about 25-30 minutes on a 14500.

Curt R

Enlightened
Battery current draw, LED current drive, Lumen output and candela output are on the info page on Bob's site at RMSK.

Curt

pmek5

Newly Enlightened
Battery current draw, LED current drive, Lumen output and candela output are on the info page on Bob's site at RMSK.

Curt

I have seen that chart, and understand that that ratings are based on a medium optic. So the narrow optic will be an 85% increase(?) to to those lumens based on another thread stated somewhere in this forum- correct?

Edit: I remember now it was at the Oveready website where I was looking at the El Capitan and saw - "State of the art CREE XPG emitter for over 300 lumens (100% power with lithium cell)." This is what got me curious.

Last edited: