Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The way I understand it, the first of the Alphas had the flicker and once Elzetta discovered the issue existed they quickly corrected it in future batches.

Strange thing is when I first began using mine it did not flicker. I remember thinking "phew, didn't get one that flickers." After a couple of weeks it began to flicker.
I suppose if I was going to send it back I probably would have by now.

gravelrash

Enlightened
I got my first Elzetta! I bought myself an Alpha for Christmas. It had the flickering problem on low; called, sent back and received a week later perfectly functioning. I bought the clip and now it is in my regular EDC rotation. Truly a great tool.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my first Elzetta today thanks to their tax day give way and so far I really like it. I had looked at them when they first came out but never did purchase one despite them being made in the next county over.

I do have one question for you guys who have more experience with them. Is the tail cap supposed to be loose on the threads and have some up/down side-by-side movement when loosened? I have the hight/low tail cap on a bravo body with an AVS head. When loosened for low mode, I have to give it a half turn to get it to not go into high mode when I press the tail cap for on or off because otherwise the whole tail cap will move down enough to activate high mode. I read thread the thread and it seems to be a common complaint about the tail cap threads but I was just wanting to make sure the tail cap was functioning correctly.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yours is operating as they all do, you'll get used to it.

Its just their crappy threading on the tail cap and body. You'd expect a lot better given the price and reputation, but they've told me they are fine with the current quality when I've asked about the threads on the phone.

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
Just got my first Elzetta today thanks to their tax day give way and so far I really like it. I had looked at them when they first came out but never did purchase one despite them being made in the next county over.

I do have one question for you guys who have more experience with them. Is the tail cap supposed to be loose on the threads and have some up/down side-by-side movement when loosened? I have the hight/low tail cap on a bravo body with an AVS head. When loosened for low mode, I have to give it a half turn to get it to not go into high mode when I press the tail cap for on or off because otherwise the whole tail cap will move down enough to activate high mode. I read thread the thread and it seems to be a common complaint about the tail cap threads but I was just wanting to make sure the tail cap was functioning correctly.

They don't use enough threads for the Tailpiece IMO. I just got 3 bodies over-bored by Oveready and they now have more threads engaging and feel very solid.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my hands, I have three Elzettas. One is stock, a second one was bored by Oveready a few years ago, and the third one was bored as part of their most recent batch.

The threads of the stock and recently bored one are the same. The one previously bored had an additional o-ring channel machined into the body, leaving three (or so) threads. The tailcap, at least my high/low ones, only engages three (or so) threads so this additional channel should't affect thread engagement. I would also prefer more engagement, but it does work adequately well as it is.

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
In my hands, I have three Elzettas. One is stock, a second one was bored by Oveready a few years ago, and the third one was bored as part of their most recent batch.

The threads of the stock and recently bored one are the same. The one previously bored had an additional o-ring channel machined into the body, leaving three (or so) threads. The tailcap, at least my high/low ones, only engages three (or so) threads so this additional channel should't affect thread engagement. I would also prefer more engagement, but it does work adequately well as it is.

I must have misunderstood the statement in the Bore thread then. There is something about the threads that doesn't seem to measure up to the rest of the light.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies guys. I was just double checking before I emailed them, appears there is no need in doing that if it's normal. A boy in my class has a Charlie with the high/low and I couldn't remember if his acted that way or not. I am really surprised though that they are ok with the lacking quality of the threads, I mean my Solarforce L2 has better threads on the tail cap. I also would have thought being has expensive and tough as they are they would be square threads instead of regular triangle cut but I see that isn't the case. Square threads would have worked a lot better with the way they have the mode switching mechanism in the tailcap.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess is that if the threads were a tight fit, then it wouldn't be possible to tighten or loosen the tailcap with one hand....something that's much more tactically important.

Given the choice between tight, with two hands required, and loose, I choose loose.

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
My guess is that if the threads were a tight fit, then it wouldn't be possible to tighten or loosen the tailcap with one hand....something that's much more tactically important.

Given the choice between tight, with two hands required, and loose, I choose loose.

Good point. I guess the square threads may be a lot stiffer to move and require 2 hands.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good point. I guess the square threads may be a lot stiffer to move and require 2 hands.

Both good points I hadn't considered. There could have been more threads though that way when loosened there still would have plenty for the tail cap to engage and not rock as much.

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
Both good points I hadn't considered. There could have been more threads though that way when loosened there still would have plenty for the tail cap to engage and not rock as much.

I don't know what it is, but my bored bodies seem more solid.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can perform a more thorough (not simply visual) inspection of the group today after work. It's possible that the machine shop altered the threads in a way to improve the interface with the tailcap.