Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok thanks, so the M60 Won't have nearly as much throw as the surefire lx2 though right?

LX2 should have more throw, by probably about 25-40 yards more than the M60.
The LX2 is stated by some people to be around 9000 lux in beam center.

I don't buy SureFire products, so I have never actually done any comparison.

fyrstormer

Banned
So, after experiencing the Malkoff M60F in my bicycle headlights, I decided to get one that I could fiddle with when I wasn't riding. Since I was also interested in Elzettas but never had a reasonable excuse to get one, I took the opportunity to get a 2-cell Elzetta with a crenelated bezel, two-mode switch, and M60F drop-in.

This thing is a beast. I've used flashlights before that people have described as "asking for abuse", but this one really IS asking for abuse. Elzetta demonstrated it's strength by using it to hammer nails into wood, and the specimen I received is so overbuilt it's hard to resist the temptation to bang it against stuff just to see how little damage it would suffer. The only place I've ever seen anodizing this good is on a TADgear "Life Capsule", which turned out to be mostly useless to me, but it was made by a shop that also makes F-22 parts, and it showed. The anodizing on the Elzetta is better than the anodizing on the Arc6, and I never thought I'd see better than Arc6 anodizing in a consumer product.

I also like the ergonomics of the Elzetta. It's got a nice thick body that's easy to hold onto, and the head is at once familiar (since it's almost a P60) yet intriguingly different (because it's designed to fit Malkoff modules perfectly).

This is the light that Surefire would've made, if they were really serious about making the ultimate tactical light. It's begging to be strapped to an assault rifle and carried into combat.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, after experiencing the Malkoff M60F in my bicycle headlights, I decided to get one that I could fiddle with when I wasn't riding. Since I was also interested in Elzettas but never had a reasonable excuse to get one, I took the opportunity to get a 2-cell Elzetta with a crenelated bezel, two-mode switch, and M60F drop-in.

This thing is a beast. I've used flashlights before that people have described as "asking for abuse", but this one really IS asking for abuse. Elzetta demonstrated it's strength by using it to hammer nails into wood, and the specimen I received is so overbuilt it's hard to resist the temptation to bang it against stuff just to see how little damage it would suffer. The only place I've ever seen anodizing this good is on a TADgear "Life Capsule", which turned out to be mostly useless to me, but it was made by a shop that also makes F-22 parts, and it showed. The anodizing on the Elzetta is better than the anodizing on the Arc6, and I never thought I'd see better than Arc6 anodizing in a consumer product.

I also like the ergonomics of the Elzetta. It's got a nice thick body that's easy to hold onto, and the head is at once familiar (since it's almost a P60) yet intriguingly different (because it's designed to fit Malkoff modules perfectly).

This is the light that Surefire would've made, if they were really serious about making the ultimate tactical light. It's begging to be strapped to an assault rifle and carried into combat.

I totally agree.
I think that Elzetta is the toughest light made, by a wide margin.
I wrote a post about it when I first got mine, and I said, "I feel like I could throw this light against the wall as hard as I can, and it wouldn't break.". I haven't tried that, but it really IS so tough that it probably would take it. I just don't intentionally abuse my lights like that. The light feels like it's a solid bar of metal. I have never felt or seen any other flashlight like it.
And you're spot-on with the comment about the anodizing. It's as good as it possibly can get, and it's virtually a perfect match for a Colt AR15 anodized finish.

I have the 3-cell Elzetta with crenelated bezel and Hi/Lo tailswitch.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

nice, thanks for the review! I gotta get one haha

LAB

Newly Enlightened
Overbuilt, low lumens, expensive, kinda ugly. What's to like about these lights? OK, made in the USA.

fyrstormer

Banned
Overbuilt, low lumens, expensive, kinda ugly. What's to like about these lights? OK, made in the USA.
Strong and durable - GOOD
Honest ratings - GOOD
High quality - GOOD
Aggressive design - GOOD
Made in the USA - GOOD

Seems to me like you hit all the highlights, actually. :)

Mikeg23

Enlightened

Overbuilt isn't a bad thing, they will accept any of the Malkoff dropins so that's hardly low lumens, they are a bit expensive but not crazy $100 for an empty host is doable. They are kind of ugly though.

LAB

Newly Enlightened
Thank You for your honest replies. I'm not enlightened yet.

fyrstormer

Banned
The best way I can describe it is, there's something reassuring about ANY tool that feels like you could use it to dig your way out of a collapsed building.

I'm not seeing the "ugly" factor. Before I had a reason to want a Malkoff module, and before I realized the Elzetta two-mode switch is actually a clicky and not a twisty, the appearance was the only reason I kept circling back to look at the Elzetta website.

Here are some photos I took, of what I think are the Elzetta's "good angles":

CIMG5316b_zps8da9c06f.png

CIMG5317b_zps559f258b.png

CIMG5318b_zps781aff40.png

CIMG5319b_zps535784b7.png

CIMG5320_zps409cdcb9.jpg

CIMG5314_zps6d2c379b.jpg

The build quality and the interfaces between the parts are phenomenal. The inside of the head is even treated with anti-seize to keep the module from getting stuck if you over-tighten the bezel; that's how well everything fits together.

I like the pointy bits on the sides of the head; if you don't, there's a low-profile bezel available that's almost perfectly cylindrical.

Last edited:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like this light and was close to pulling the trigger on it a while ago but never did. IMO they are overpriced and the emitter is a little dated. There is no 'lock out' tail cap option and no clip option. As much as I like it and wanted to make it my new duty light I felt for $200 it was too much to spend and not have the latest emitter in the optic. I like the build quality but to be honest the last 'bomb proof' light I brought died after two years of normal use so I'm a bit skeptical about such claims but who knows, maybe this one really is. As for it's appearance I like it, reminds me of a light I had a long time ago.

fyrstormer

Banned
The two-mode tailcap does lock out; I don't know about the other tailcaps, but there hasn't been any indication that the threading inside the other tailcaps is non-anodized.

It's a modular light; the emitter is as up-to-date as you want to pay for. Malkoff doesn't release new modules every time a new bin is released, but their newest module uses the XP-G2 emitter, so it's not exactly fire-on-a-stick. Even the XR-E emitters in the older modules are plenty good at producing the rated amount of light.

I concede the point regarding a clip. A good bezel-down clip, bolted to the body, would be very nice to have.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like this light and was close to pulling the trigger on it a while ago but never did. IMO they are overpriced and the emitter is a little dated. There is no 'lock out' tail cap option and no clip option. As much as I like it and wanted to make it my new duty light I felt for $200 it was too much to spend and not have the latest emitter in the optic. I like the build quality but to be honest the last 'bomb proof' light I brought died after two years of normal use so I'm a bit skeptical about such claims but who knows, maybe this one really is. As for it's appearance I like it, reminds me of a light I had a long time ago.

Dark Sucks(Prometheus Lights) has a titanium clip that fits it. It has a ring mount that completely encircles the body(you need to take off the tailcap to install it), which cannot fall off.

The Malkoff drop-ins which are VERY easily interchangeable(hence the name "drop-in") will work in the Elzetta(some require the 3-cell body). The M60 drop-in that comes in it is an XRE with a TIR optic, which has good application in this type of light, since all the "latest emitters" are bigger and are sadly lacking in throw from this size light platform. The newest XPG2 finally can match the XRE throw from the P60 size platform, at shorter runtimes and higher lumens. The M60 is actually a legend in its own time. Fully potted electronics, and fully capable of withstanding recoil in a weaponlight application or just plain shock in hard use.
The Malkoff drop-ins are available which have all the latest emitters. Because what good is the latest emitter, if it's just stuck in some crappy Chinese light?
XML? XPG2? XPG? Nichia 219 HCRI? XPG Warm? XPG Neutral? They are ALL available in Malkoff drop-ins, and you can change them in and out for versatility in less than a minute.
Want 750 lumens OTF? Just get the 3-cell Elzetta, and drop a Malkoff M91A into it. 450 Lumens? Drop a Malkoff M61SHO in.

I just checked my Elzetta for taiilcap lock-out, and if you unscrew the tailcap 2/3 of a rotation, it's locked out. I never use that function, so I had to check it.

The "bomb proof light" you had wasn't an Elzetta, or you'd still have it.

I like the looks of it too. And it even starts looking better when you see what a combination of legendary Malkoff light engines,, teamed-up with the most rugged flashlight host on planet Earth, can do.

Last edited:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "bomb proof light" you had wasn't an Elzetta, or you'd still have it.

No it wasn't, it was an HDS.

As for the lock out, it's not an advertised feature and one of the many reviews I read when I was researching the light pointed out the lack of as it's one draw back. If it actually has it now that's great, another plus.

As for the various drops in, I agree they're great options, but I was referring to the OEM optics from Elzetta. If they're still the best in class overall well then that's fine I just thought after 4 years they would have a better bin with more lumens or improved runtime.

Cost remains a sticking point though, all added up it's pricey, but I still like it. The fact that it has the lock out feature makes it that much more appealing. Really like the two cell flood model.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
No it wasn't, it was an HDS.

As for the lock out, it's not an advertised feature and one of the many reviews I read when I was researching the light pointed out the lack of as it's one draw back. If it actually has it now that's great, another plus.

As for the various drops in, I agree they're great options, but I was referring to the OEM optics from Elzetta. If they're still the best in class overall well then that's fine I just thought after 4 years they would have a better bin with more lumens or improved runtime.

Cost remains a sticking point though, all added up it's pricey, but I still like it. The fact that it has the lock out feature makes it that much more appealing. Really like the two cell flood model.

I understand the concern with the M60 and its XRE emitter. This is not the latest emitter.
However, it is a smaller die-size emitter, which creates a better throw distance from the small size reflector in the P60 drop-in, than can be had from the latest emitters which have larger die-size.
So, for the lumen output that the XRE provides, it gives further throw distance than many emitters of higher output, in the P60 size platform.
Throw may not be the only important thing, but it is somewhat important in tactical and LE applications, and that's why the Malkoff M60 became one of the most highly regarded law enforcement lights around. It was designed for law enforcement, and it is widely used by officers. Gene Malkoff caters heavily to the LE market.

However, the joint venture with Elzetta yielded the sale of the M60 rights to Elzetta, and Gene moved on to other modules and lights which he sells on his website.
So, this is why the Elzetta "turnkey" lights come with the M60, because they own that module design now. But if you don't want that module, you can buy the parts for the body from Elzetta, and put one of Gene's other modules in there, with any of the latest emitters that he has out now. And right now, he's on the cutting edge with modules equipped with the latest XPG2 emitters and also with XML emitters, and he offers warm or cool tint options in the still-available XPG emitters like the M61 module, and there have been special runs made for Nichia 219 HCRI modules.
All of these have different beam and power and run-time characteristics, and can be inserted into the light body for the application preferred by the user.

One of the issues with the Elzetta host body is that it is bored for primary CR123 batteries, which hold up more reliably under recoil in weaponlight applications. They are not bored for the 18mm size lithium-ion rechargable batteries. But, the Malkoff bodies available from Gene are bored for those sizes, so if that is an issue you can look at Gene's MD2/3/4 hosts for that.

I have both. I have an Elzetta 3-cell with Hi/Lo tailswitch, and I have several Malkoff lights.
Essentially, the Elzetta is a Malkoff light engine with a super heavy duty body. The Malkoff bodies themselves are also very heavy duty and no-nonsense too. I think the Elzetta is a bit more bomb-proof.
I'm not sure what switch Elzetta uses, but it has excellent tactile feel, and is nearly silent in operation. A very good tactical switch. And it is very predictable, so you know exactly when it is going to come on and off with the same amount of push every time, and it doesn't make any loud noises. The Malkoff lights use the highly-regarded McClicky switch.

If you want to use the Malkoff XML modules in the Elzetta, you need to get the 3-cell body because the voltage range for that Malkoff M91/M91A series needs to have 3 primary CR123 cells in the Elzetta to run it properly. The others will run in the Elzetta 2-cell model.

If you want more throw or a lot of flood, check out the dedicated lights from Malkoff on his site, the Hound Dog and the Wildcat. The Wildcat is a triple-emitter XPG2 light with 1350 out-the-front lumens at turn on, and it stabilizes after warming up at 1150 lumens without any further sag or stepping down. Malkoff lights really emphasize thermal management. The Hound Dog XML is an XML thrower with about 250 yards of throw, with a very nice wide spill. These lights have larger heads with 1.8" diameter. They are my favorites.

You can call Gene and talk to him about your needs. As I said, he is big in law enforcement circles, and he caters to officers and their needs.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
The OEM optics ARE Malkoff drop-ins. You can't buy a complete Elzetta flashlight with anything other than a Malkoff drop-in.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
I think when he says OEM he is talking about what the complete light comes with... On Elzettas website if you want to buy a complete light you are limited to the M60 or the M60F it would appear. However as someone stated much earlier in this thread you can in fact just buy the host.

fyrstormer

Banned
You can order all the parts for a complete light, including a Malkoff M61 drop-in. I suppose having to assemble those parts does disqualify it from being a "complete light", but seriously, you put the module into the battery tube, and then screw on the tailcap and bezel. It's not exactly a bar of raw aluminum and a blueprint.

Last edited:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OEM optics ARE Malkoff drop-ins. You can't buy a complete Elzetta flashlight with anything other than a Malkoff drop-in.

I know, to clarify I was referring to the Malkoff drop-ins that are available from Elzetta only, the ones with the optics.

fyrstormer,

I see you have the Flood optic, that's the drop-in I'm particularly interested in. How do you find it to work for you? Pros/cons?

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Pro: Smooth wall of light.
Con: Not very throwy.

It works well for indoor use, and for short-range outdoor use. It won't reach the woods if you hear a crunching noise while you're taking out the garbage, though. I plan to keep it because I don't have anything else like it.