Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the High Output head is definitely larger than the standard ones, I am able to comfortably clip it into the front pocket of my cargo shorts. It's unlikely that I could tell the difference between it and the standard head, without a direct comparison with one in each pocket.

I haven't tried this with my Levis jeans, but don't expect it to be adequately comfortable.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
The contrast between the ZFL-M60 & the Bravo head model is interesting - longer head, same body.

By comparison the SF 6P & the Fury P2X are almost identical in length with the 6P just a bit shorter.

Image-9853934-198870398-2-Web_0_023fb275003bdb5e68f572c94db8d400_1

I'd like to see a side by side photo with the Bravo & the Fury.

The grip ergonomics on the Bravo look to be better than the P2X - quite a few users have commented that the P2X is "hard to grip" or slippery. I don't expect to hear that about the Bravo.

Head size & length appear similar.

Last edited:

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to see a side by side photo with the Bravo & the Fury.

The grip ergonomics on the Bravo look to be better than the P2X - quite a few users have commented that the P2X is "hard to grip" or slippery. I don't expect to hear that about the Bravo.

Head size & length appear similar.

Here ya go . . . With an MD2 thrown in for good measure!

FlashlightGuide_6616.jpg

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
So I charged up an AW 3400 on my Pila IBC and let it rest 48 hours.

I turned on my Oveready bored for 18650 Elzetta with the new high output head.

I have no light meter this test was clearly by eye.

It ran at full brightness for 1 hour 40 minutes, then it had a slow taper, at 3 hours and 20 minutes it was approx 100 lumens.

I stopped the test. The AW 3400 was at 3.14V immediately after I turned the light off.

Hope this helps.

KeeblerElf

Enlightened
So I charged up an AW 3400 on my Pila IBC and let it rest 48 hours.

I turned on my Oveready bored for 18650 Elzetta with the new high output head.

I have no light meter this test was clearly by eye.

It ran at full brightness for 1 hour 40 minutes, then it had a slow taper, at 3 hours and 20 minutes it was approx 100 lumens.

I stopped the test. The AW 3400 was at 3.14V immediately after I turned the light off.

Hope this helps.

That's very helpful, and the results are pretty pleasing! Thanks for taking the time to run the test and report the results here!

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
That's very helpful, and the results are pretty pleasing! Thanks for taking the time to run the test and report the results here!

No problem!

I should also note before I turned it off, I took it outside, and could still illuminate my backyard to my rear fence. Approx 150 feet.

I am pleased!

Walll

Newly Enlightened
Would you feel that the new head is too large to EDC? Great thoughts, pictures and reviews everyone!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had waited a long time for the high output head just to place my order. I then lost my patience waiting and ordered the ZFL-M60 thinking that I will probably just swap out the head when it is released later. 4 or 5 days after ordering the ZFL-M60 I received the news that the high output head was just released. If you guys remember a post which I made earlier in this thread, I wrote to Elzetta eventually whining about them not informing their customers about the new release. They were kind enough to offer me a refund if I send the ZFL-M60 back.

Long story short, I decided to keep the ZFL-M60 and swap out the drop-in to an M61w, it was the earlier version with 4000k emitter, and was I very pleased with it! In fact, so pleased with the tint I managed to hold back my temptation to order the new high output head. I might succumb eventually, but right now as it is I am happy with what I have so I have decided to wait. Did I make the right choice?

chanjyj

Enlightened
I had waited a long time for the high output head just to place my order. I then lost my patience waiting and ordered the ZFL-M60 thinking that I will probably just swap out the head when it is released later. 4 or 5 days after ordering the ZFL-M60 I received the news that the high output head was just released. If you guys remember a post which I made earlier in this thread, I wrote to Elzetta eventually whining about them not informing their customers about the new release. They were kind enough to offer me a refund if I send the ZFL-M60 back.

Long story short, I decided to keep the ZFL-M60 and swap out the drop-in to an M61w, it was the earlier version with 4000k emitter, and was I very pleased with it! In fact, so pleased with the tint I managed to hold back my temptation to order the new high output head. I might succumb eventually, but right now as it is I am happy with what I have so I have decided to wait. Did I make the right choice?

Andy, with the money you throw at your lights (well compared to me) just spend the $100++ and get a high output head. It's a mini pocket rocket if you run x02 RCR123 in a 2 cell body. Heck, the only reason it can't out-throw my TK35 is due to sheer head size, but it's close enough to keep me happy.

The only down side is x02 RCR123 will give a calculated runtime of 15min on 900 lumens only. However you've never been bothered with output/throw unlike me, so you could always run it at the 30 lumens mode. Pretty decent, though the tint shift is not the best.

delus

Newly Enlightened
Higher Low

I've got a Bravo with Hi-Lo switch and high output AVS emitter. I want to have the smaller, low-profile head. This means I'm switching to a Malkoff emitter.
I want a higher light output when the switch is in the low mode. High-mode lumens is not all that important. Is there a Malkoff emitter that's right for me?

KeeblerElf

Enlightened
Re: Higher Low

I've got a Bravo with Hi-Lo switch and high output AVS emitter. I want to have the smaller, low-profile head. This means I'm switching to a Malkoff emitter.
I want a higher light output when the switch is in the low mode. High-mode lumens is not all that important. Is there a Malkoff emitter that's right for me?

Perhaps the Malkoff 361 LMH would be appropriate. Its lumens are 15-80-400 in the L-M-H settings, and it runs on a single rechargeable (if you want to use a 17670, or an 18650 with a bored host) or two primaries. The web page says it is designed specifically for the Elzetta head, so you shouldn't have any problems with fit. However, the Elzetta Hi-Lo switch then means you have 6 modes with this drop-in (though in practice several of these modes may be very similar in output).

If you're looking to control the light using just the Elzetta tailcap, maybe an M61 SHO would give you the higher level of L you're looking for?

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Higher Low

In a test I just finished, the lowest output on low came from the M61 219, followed by the M61N, with the standard M61 providing the highest lux at 1 yard.

The voltage sent to the head is more important than the chosen M61. I previously tested M61L, M61, HO, and SHO on low in a Malkoff MD2, and they all gave approximately the same output when fed the same voltage.

All you have to do is choose your favorite tint and use two RCR123s.

Last edited:

Craig K

Enlightened
Touchdown, I like!!! :D

Comparison shots, AVS head running on 1x18650 (Oveready bored Elzetta host)

M361N on high on top, Elzetta AVS bottom

Neutral Malkoff WildCat on high running 2x18650, Elzetta AVS bottom

Oveready Mini Turbohead Surefire M2/XML2/DD top, Elzetta AVS bottom

Nice pool.

chanjyj

Enlightened

A regular M60 will give you 15 lumens on low (using the high-low tailcap).

Perhaps the Malkoff 361 LMH would be appropriate. Its lumens are 15-80-400 in the L-M-H settings, and it runs on a single rechargeable (if you want to use a 17670, or an 18650 with a bored host) or two primaries. The web page says it is designed specifically for the Elzetta head, so you shouldn't have any problems with fit. However, the Elzetta Hi-Lo switch then means you have 6 modes with this drop-in (though in practice several of these modes may be very similar in output).

If you're looking to control the light using just the Elzetta tailcap, maybe an M61 SHO would give you the higher level of L you're looking for?

I don't believe the M31s can use rechargeable cells. Too high a voltage?
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?282325-Malkoff-M31

Last edited:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M361 LMH can take rechargables. It is Malkoff's first multi mode drop in.