Emergency Flashlight for elderly mother!

Neo9710

Newly Enlightened
So, was at my mothers house and I needed a flashlight. I usually have one actually on me (Quark Mini Turbo) and another light in the car but I actually left it at home. I knew my mother had lights in the house and I remember it being "OK". Well, I was just going to walk to my car and get it when my mom pulled out this OLD incandescent what looked like a Maglite pen light (or slightly bigger). Oh HELL NO. So..here we go. I jumped in on this thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/t...pose-rechargeable-flashlight-for-home.477040/ but wanted to be specific on the needs.

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
Up to $100 - but not stuck on the cost. If slightly more expensive Ill get it.

3) Format:
With a cradle.

4) Size:
SMALL to MEDIUM

5) Emitter/Light source:
LED

6) Manufacturer:
I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?
I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")
I want a light that snaps into a cradle (usually mounted on a wall)
I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)
I don't care (options open)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
Between less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement) and 5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating
Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
I don't care.

15) Water resistance
IPX4 (Splash resistant)

16) Storage conditions
In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

This is where it gets tricky. I need something that always ready to go. Every other light I have found was ANCIENT and the batteries had long exploded in them and other batteries I have found in the closets are long dead. I'm looking for a light with a cradle or a charger of sorts. Simple to operate with a button towards the bezel. I was looking at two - The Stinger 2020 and the Malestrom MXS. Like the setup of the Stinger 2020. Has a cradle, settings are a switch up front. But its a little big. Just worried about my mother being able to grasp it (maybe overthinking this). The MXS - seems to fit all the criteria but a little on the expensive side for just her.

But I have to break it down what she will be using it for. She lives in a over 50 community. Here we go;

Looking for stuff in her closet when needed
Light go out - walking in her condo.
She will walk through the hallways to make sure her neighbors are OK
She may walk through the hallways to go to the parking garage to get in her car and come to my house!
She will find crap to do in a blackout

On another note - plan to get her a small lantern and may look into the bulbs that have a battery in them. This light will sit in a charger till needed. Dont want one that plugs in using a USB-C. Concerned my mother may damage the plug/connection. But I'm not turned off by the magnetic charging..

Tell me what ya got!

importculture

Newly Enlightened
I have a few elderly relatives and I've been giving them lights for years. Unfortunately they're muggles when it comes to flashlights. The last flashlight i gave them was a fenix e12. They love the nearly 180 degree spill and the "expensive" looking reflector. But they keep thinking its made by Duracell. Funny story 2 of my aunts have only been using low. They had no idea it had two more levels. They were amazed by the output and one aunt didn't like how bright it was on high and asked how to leave it on low. I also gave them streamlight dualies 2AA which they really like. The buttons for the 2 leds are near the led location so they know which button to press for which led. The 2AA has a super easy one turn twist off head to replace the batteries. It has a magnet so i left it on their refrigerator so they can find it easily. Oh, and they're available in florescent yellow. The dualie was made for the elderly. I think they even make one that has a cradle for charging. But with the 2AA dualie you can always use enaloops and keep a bunch charged in case you need them. Eneloops seem to hold a charge pretty well over the course of a year. Hope this helps.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight stinger 2020 as you said. I think it's too bright for me, but with the easy ui it would be good for her. And she can always have it come on in medium. Or a maglite magtac rechargeable for something smaller. Also pretty easy ui but not as intuitive as the stinger