Emergency Lantern Recommendations

seanflash

Newly Enlightened
Hi All:
I'm looking to add a lantern for home power failure to my emergency kit. I'd like it to be very bright and ultra reliable/rugged. Rechargeable or hybrid power source would be great. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks as always!

turbodog

Flashaholic
Hi All:
I'm looking to add a lantern for home power failure to my emergency kit. I'd like it to be very bright and ultra reliable/rugged. Rechargeable or hybrid power source would be great. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks as always!

Lanterns don't tend to be overly rugged. As far as part of an 'emergency' kit... I'd think that means tough, small, & light... basically a flashlight with maybe a diffusing cap/lens/etc.

If you mean a 'home readiness' kit, then a lantern fits that pretty well: area lighting for long periods of time.

That said, this is what I keep inside my tornado shelter.

I keep batteries in it and a spare 4 pack nearby.

1680741066652.png

Check out the Luci line of emergency lights at MPOWERD. These are inflatable; waterproof; have built-in solar charging; with USB-C charging available on the higher-capacity BASE LIGHT model.

The Luci LUX ($30) has a 1000 mAh battery, and can maintain:
- 10 lumens of 4000k light for 24 hours;
- 25 lumens for 12 hours, and
- 65 lumens for 6 hours.

The Luci rechargeable BASE LIGHT ($60) has a 4000 mAh battery, and can maintain:
- 20 lumens of 4000k light for 50 hours;
- 55 lumens for 24 hours;
- 360 lumens for 5 hours.

The rechargeable BASE LIGHT is the one that best meets your criteria.

I have ten of these (six of the Lux version, and four of the higher-capacity BASE version). I've taken mine camping; hiking in the backcountry; on sailboats; and on miscellaneous travels via commercial aircraft. They get used on the patio on summer evenings almost every night. They recharge fully in Ohio's summer sunlight. The light output is excellent, and the three output levels allow for effortless adjustment of output to suit the need. They are safe for kids to use (they even float).

3_gun

Enlightened
I 2nd the flashlight/diffuser as it works almost as well & gives you more ways to light an area. A few rooms in my old house looked much better with bounced light than by lantern

Poppy

Flashaholic
I think that most people would be comfortable with 100 lumens of ceiling bounced light.

The problem with lanterns is that when you look in their direction, you tend to look at the light, and it causes glare, and closes/restricts your iris, reducing your night vision, and increasing your need for more light. Some lanterns produce less glare than others.

The GE Enbrighten lantern produces less glare than many others in its class. It's a good 3D or 4D alkaline lantern.
Here is a discussion on the Enbrighten lantern

The Energizer lantern with "Light Fusion Technology" is in a bit of a unique class, in that it produces no glare. It is powered by 4, or 8 AA batteries. I soldered a USB cable to mine so that I could also run it off of a rechargeable power bank.
Here is a discussion https://www.candlepowerforums.com/t...-light-fusion-technology.371006/#post-4284803

DrPrepare COB worklight is a rechargeable light that comes with two 2000 mAh Li ion cells. They can be recharged by way of USB, or removed and charged in a stand-alone charger. Certainly spare 18650 Li ion cells may be swapped in. There is a small screw holding the battery compartment closed, that needs to be removed to replace the batteries, but IMO the compartment door is tight enough that the screw isn't necessary. It can be placed on top of the refrigerator, and ceiling bounced, or faced out as a directional lantern.
Discussion here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/t...ed-2x18650-magnet-work-light-i-bought.474384/

Alkaline cells perform well when the demands on them are small/low. 3D lanterns can run for a LONG time if you keep the output to 300 lumens or less. 3AA lights also do well if kept at less than 200 lumens.

Last edited:

531 Don

Newly Enlightened
The LEDLENSER ML6 I have is pretty handy, it has L,M,H,S white or red light with low glare. It uses a magnetic charge port and has USB output port.👍🏻

Attachments

• 66513199-D5E8-4DAC-A8AE-165A5213BF63.jpeg
    66513199-D5E8-4DAC-A8AE-165A5213BF63.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 85

Lemurian

Newly Enlightened
BudgetLlight Forum LT1 is nice. I also have the BLF LT1m (mini) version. And a Black Diamond Apollo. Then there's the Biolite.

The Lt1 (my favorite) has nice tints (that's "tints") and lasts a long time, less glare. The LT1m is easy to pack. The Apollo can use its own internal rechargeable battery and replaceable AAs (I use rechargeables). The Biolite is easy to use and nice.

I think the BLFs are listed under Sofirn. Our cousins up in Canada came up with this these.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend the Streamlight siege AA. I have a few of them and use them with Eneloop AA cells. Due to the fact I have a few of them I have one Siege AA with the initially loaded Eneloops and the lantern is still working with this cells.
The power management seems to be great, no parasitic drain at all (or that low that you can not name it parasitic drain).

For me it is the best lantern ever. The big Siege for 3 D cells is also great but much larger...

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Lepro LED Camping Lantern, Mini Camping Lantern, 350LM, 4 Light Modes, 3 AA
Four for the price one Streamlight Siege.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Four for the price one Streamlight Siege.
Yeah, there's a reason for that. With flashlights, and lanterns, you get what you pay for in terms of quality and durability. Those aren't tossed in for free, along with very bright output.

Tribull

Enlightened
My emergency light is a 2D incan Maglite that I converted to a 75 lumen led and added a flood reflector. It doesn't sound like much but it lights up the living room and sips on those batteries.

Reactions: xxo

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

A stable tailstanding 26650 light with a large emitter is hard to beat for ceiling bounce.

..if you get one with variable (ramping) output you can fine tune how much light you want.
If you really want to go next level, a tint filter also.

I ceiling bounce to light my living room area & been doing so every night for about 12 years, probably longer.