Emisar D4

easilyled

Flashaholic
Although I don't (yet) have an Emisar in Ti, I have had many different titanium flashlights, both custom and production.

Although there are exceptions, generally the threads on the customs are rather smoother than those compared with the mass production items, and usually substantially so.

The issue is that Ti is prone to galling, and any minor imperfections (variances, tolerances, etc) in the threading will tend to "grab"

Appropriate lubrication will help, sometimes quite a bit, and normal wear does tend to "break in" the threads (at the expense of microscopic material loss, associated thread wear, and in extreme cases thread sloppiness)

I think that is mostly what discolors the lubricants as they darken ... more metal particles than actual "dirt" in many cases.

In any case, I find that the Krytox tends to darken more slowly after the first few changes :shrug:

Thanks archimedes. Yes, I have heard galling mentioned many times when it comes to Ti threads, yet the custom makers seem to excel at particularly smooth threads even in Ti. I guess that's why you'd pay at least five times as much if this were a custom light! Anyway I can live with it. It is a fairly minor issue for an otherwise very impressive light and, as you say, they may smooth out with time.

archimedes

Flashaholic
How do you find the weight balance to be on the D4 Ti ?

There had been some concern about possible awkwardness due to the heavy copper heatsink sitting towards the front ....

easilyled

Flashaholic
How do you find the weight balance to be on the D4 Ti ?

There had been some concern about possible awkwardness due to the heavy copper heatsink sitting towards the front ....

The weight distribution is more towards the head but not to the point of causing any awkwardness for me. Its a beefy light altogether and the 18650 creates some weight as a counterbalance in the battery tube. Tailstanding is very secure and it doesn't feel like its remotely likely to topple over.

scout24

Flashaholic
+1, easilyled. The balance was my one concern before ordering. I'm greatly enjoying the aluminum version, just wish it had a nice solid bezel down pocketclip... :)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D4 Ti is about 30 grams less mass than the D1S.

This sample has a little roughness near the most forward edge of the bezel piece around the circumference. I may smooth it out. The copper shows some light machine marks but is smooth. Very much excited to see how it ages.

A solid little handy good looking tool for sure. Will take it out tonight.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my Cyan 219c today. I must say, it certainly lives up the hype - very impressive relative to the cost. I've yet to try it out at night, but can't wait! This thing seems like a real pocket rocket. I was looking forward to receiving the Tactician today, but the Emisar really got me excited.

Also: Does anyone know what the max output is on an 18350 for 219C? I know it's less than with 18650, but man it's bright!

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Got my Cyan 219c today. I must say, it certainly lives up the hype - very impressive relative to the cost. I've yet to try it out at night, but can't wait! This thing seems like a real pocket rocket....

Also: Does anyone know what the max output is on an 18350 for 219C? I know it's less than with 18650, but man it's bright!

Pretty fun, eh ?

This review ...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/443327

... says ~ 3k lm

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty fun, eh ?

This review ...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/443327

... says ~ 3k lm

Thanks Arch! It certainly is a lumen monster. It's not going to make a budget-light convert anytime soon, but I'm duly impressed. Didn't realize how bright these things could get. That being said, there is definitely a gap between these types of lights and customs/higher-end ones. The threads on my specimen are quite gritty and I dislike the chalky texture. Still though, I can see why this light earns the praise it does.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't been in a big hurry to report this to y'all, but I've found that the D4 with a lower Kelvin temp is more blinding on high, as well as more useful on low, than the Cool HI 6500K...
But yes it gets hot real quick, and there's undoubtedly fewer "lumens".

I tried it a few weeks ago, writing this just inspired me to try it again, I'm regretting it now and I'm going to take an extra MacuGuard eye support vitamin and hope this mild headache that seems to originate at the back of my eyeballs goes away soon.
I think it's the IR.

Last edited:

HeyGuysWatchThis

Newly Enlightened
So I just got the D1S, and I'm really liking it, the UI is great now that I have it in hand. To me it has a lot of similarities with the Zebralight UI, which I love. I'm considering upgrading my SC32w to a D4 with the 18350 tube, but I'd like to see a pic of the two next to each other. Anyone have both? Also, I'd like to know how much heavier the D4 is than the SC32 with the 18350 tube. I've only seen the weight listed with the 18650 tube.

Keitho

Enlightened
Also, I'd like to know how much heavier the D4 is than the SC32 with the 18350 tube. I've only seen the weight listed with the 18650 tube.

I don't have the SC32w; but, my Aluminium Emisar D4 with the 18350 tube, no cell, with my un-calibrated kitchen scale and calipers, is 1.8 oz (52g), 2.488" long (63.2mm). Cute little bottom-of-the-pocket light, best value light of 2017 in my opinion for both 18350 and 18650. The 18350 tube has multiple OD that range from .886" to .984" (22.5-24.99mm). Not as durable anodize as my ZL, but better-looking (I really like my black and green legoed version), and more impressive to show off for 30 seconds or less.

SKV89

Enlightened
I have quite a few VTC6A cells that I have been using with my other D4 lights so that is not a problem. I rarely use them at the highest setting just an occasional quick burst but I enjoy the ramping UI and the reliable access to the lowest setting.

Where did you buy yoir vtc6a? I couldnt find them anywhere. I bought a bunch of vtc6 yesterday instead. Ivwish theu were the vtc6a.

Brutus

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know of a leather belt holster for the D4? I got a new multitool (swisstool) with a leather belt holster and I would love to have another belt holster for the D4.

Bucklight

Newly Enlightened
I spent weeks combing through the various options for 18650 lights and finally chose the Emisar D4, and now it's not in stock at MtnElectronics. Doh! That's what I get for waiting so long.

Keitho

Enlightened
Does anyone know of a leather belt holster for the D4? I got a new multitool (swisstool) with a leather belt holster and I would love to have another belt holster for the D4.

The high-end choice (high quality, high price) is from Thor's Hammer leather products, cpf user Hogo. Multiple leather color choices; add a spare cell holder if you want; or, add a revolver holster to your flashlight holster. I got mine for an HDS, and it fits my ZL SC600's, and my Emisar D4's, pretty well (I'll insert a couple pics in a moment). He does a leather flap with a metal belt clip. It isn't a good fashion fit for most office attire, but is a great option for me in the outdoors or in work clothes, and it is durable enough to last a lifetime of hard use.

https://imgur.com/gallery/UZZnJ

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
A thought that occurred to me recently:

I haven't seen anybody double their D4's regulated current (and expand the range where it benefits from the slightly better efficiency of the 7135 vs. the FET) by piggy backing a 2nd 7135 chip on top of the one it has, the same way Mountain Electronics does on some of the drivers they sell:
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/univimag/add7135-1.jpg

If I ever get around to trying an alternate firmware on mine like Anduril, I might have to also consider this idea while the driver board is out.

The driver pocket is too shallow as is, but I'm sure one could grind out a little bit of aluminum in just one spot to create clearance to stack a second 7135 (and then insulate it against accidental contact with the aluminum. Ideally such a mod would be paired with a firmware tweak to shift some steps from the FET channel to the 7135 channel and tweak the 7135 PWM values so the overall profile remains similar.

Unless I'm missing something else, however, it seems to me like this could be a fairly straightforward refinement to an already great light.