Emisar D2 first impressions

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received this D2, my first regulated Anduril light. Im really happy with it. It has NO PWM.. yay! :love:
yrHQI1n.jpg
I also bought the flashing adapter, have not figured out how to use it yet.. atm the stock firmware is 2021 12 13 0135

Opple 3 flicker test on lowest mode of 0.2 lumens:
PiPKVHk.png

and at 59.2 lumens
nottNym.png

a pic of all the personal settings I changed: (flowchart is for a later firmware version, that I have not installed yet, main difference is channel switching uses 3H instead of 3C)
d80wQMl.png

album with more pics

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I thoroughly enjoy my D2 as well; I find angle-head flashlights to be decent all-rounders and need to source a decent headband that allows easy snap-in/snap-out usage. I've not much customized the settings as unlike my larger Hank lights I don't demand significant performance out of it.

Opted for 2700K/5000K emitters for variable tints between my preferred 3500K-4000K with multiple CCTs. I've since not bothered much with tint adjustment and have pondered finding a way to lock both channels at max output; appears the "Next Channel Mode" is what I need to adjust.

Also opted for the flood optics which produce a satisfying pool of light immediately in front of me for low while being able to produce useful light out to >10m on higher levels.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered this headband option:

Spicy3d is a home business run by a young couple, Im not affiliated, but I admire their products. They 3d print a snap in holder for the light, and offer the headband assembly as an inexpensive add on..
PXL_20230412_173143967.MP.jpg

thanks for sharing your impression of the floody optic option.
I also picked the flood optic. I like D2 for indoor distances, which is my primary use atm. Its fun having 2 lights in one, w my Red second LED

theres a good D2 review here, that shows the beam of the spot optic,

it looks square, which is why I chose the floody optics both for my dedomed 519a, and the Red 660nm. I like the floody smooth Tir beam.

And I got lucky w the Tint, nicely below the BBL and a 3400K color temp, that I enjoy:
myH8eeb.jpg

The Hank experience is fun. Ive never had the option to order a light w dual LEDs, choice of optics and illuminated button color. Plus a range of host colors. My D2 arrived within two weeks of placing the custom order. The price was similar to a Zebra, and I just Hate the Zebra UI. I Much prefer the D2 w Anduril UI. D2 has better regulation too. I call it my Zebra killer.. ;-)

I will be very tempted if a Titanium D2 becomes available ;-)

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Skilhunt headband.. adaptable to the D2.
I just received my D2 adapter plus the stock Skilhunt headband. They fit together perfectly and the light clips in and out easily and securely, even with the clip installed:

KhwVEal.jpg

I went over the outside edges of the Spicy3D clip with some fine sandpaper. Only took a few swipes to soften the sharp outer corners and edges. The inside of the Spicy3D clip, the part that grips the light, did not need any deburring at all.. works great!

Last edited:

newts

Newly Enlightened
Congratulations.

I love mine, they are my EDC. I have two of them. I don't really see the point of tints for a pocket light. My first one I have a (too) warm white and the second is a red emitter for night vision. I also wanted for backup bike light for either front (white) or back (red) blinking. The second one is a mid white about 5k and a UV emitter for the second.

I have a headband from the Perun 2 light that works fine and I recently ordered a Zebra headband that looks like it will work.

One problem with Anduril is it is super complicated and there is no way to power up with a specific emitter. It powers up in the previous mode and then you can swap emitters if you want. If you are using this for night vision you just failed if you power up white first. The blink modes seem more for fun than actual use. Especially with dual emitters where you may want one or the other.

I forked the code on github to simplify a few obvious things like which emitter to power on with and I am still working on a usable bicycle mode. The repo is called "noobnoob" and the same username I use here. I would share the url directly but I was told not to share my outside links here.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would share the url directly but I was told not to share my outside links here.
I am not aware of that rule..

I wont be using your build, as I am happy with the way my stock D2 firmware works.

but in any case, I hope you get your light set up the way you want it ;-)

newts

Newly Enlightened
I am not aware of that rule..

I wont be using your build, as I am happy with the way my stock D2 firmware works.

but in any case, I hope you get your light set up the way you want it ;-)
Dunno if it is a rule or a mod thought I was spamming the group when I signed up and shared some blog posts of some flashlight projects before I joined.

And yeh, thanks. Half the fun is playing with them and modding.

jv

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Dunno if it is a rule or a mod thought I was spamming the group when I signed up and shared some blog posts of some flashlight projects before I joined.
Explicitly, linking to objectionable material is the only prohibition mentioned in the rules.

In practice, undisclosed affiliate links have been an issue. Occasionally there's been an issue with linking to sellers competing with the site's banner ads.

newts

Newly Enlightened
Explicitly, linking to objectionable material is the only prohibition mentioned in the rules.

In practice, undisclosed affiliate links have been an issue. Occasionally there's been an issue with linking to sellers competing with the site's banner ads.

Maybe modding Maglites is objectionable?

I have adsense on my blog but I think it was more someone noticed I was a new guy posting some links instead of conversing more first. Anyway I am the newbie here so I will go along with whatever.

I don't have anything to sell. Just on here to learn and share.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also enjoy sharing info.. thanks for participating

Regarding the D2, I have discovered I am able to use the Protected Button Top USB rechargeable Lumintop 14500.. which adds a recharging option I find useful when traveling.

all 4 batteries pictured work in my D2, the two on the left are button tops but no longer than 50.1mm, the other two are flat tops as short as 48.7mm:
ZObahR7.jpg

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
7 months later, reasons why I still have a D2 in my pocket:

Regulated output, NoPWM, Anduril UI, Dual Channel, tailmagnet, nightstand locator Aux on dim Red, small size, lightweight.
ffi46of.jpg

The D2 just ticks a lot of boxes for my low output, close range use around the house. Recommended.

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
I have near the exact same D2. Love it!

Only sort-of complaints are the lack of 1.5v AA compatibility and that the threads are too numerous and fine for how tightly the 14500 cell sits.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
went to charge the battery, probably only the third time I've removed the battery and the O-ring broke as I was unscrewing the tail.
IMG_2075.jpg

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
There should be spare o rings in the box, Hank always puts spares

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The O-ring does butt up right against the threads, it is not in its own separate groove like most other lights. This is a recipe for failure. I always add some lube (Nyogel in this case) when I receive the light, so O ring and threads were lubed.
IMG_2078.jpg