EMS Orange Malkoff MD2!!!

gsxrac

Enlightened
Finally someone has listened and made us a BRIGHT orange flashlight! Got an email from Gene and Cathy earlier today notifying me that they are now selling an "EMS Orange" Malkoff MD2. This thing looks awesome. The site says that the color is accomplished by using a Cerakote gun finish.

"The flashlight body is made of 6061 T6 Structural Aircraft Grade Aluminium. The bright orange coating is Cerakote Gun Finish. View information on this durable coating from NIC This coating is a specified OEM coating for many high end weapons manufacturers. The body is anodized prior to coating and the interior is Chemfilmed for corrosion protection. The switch is a Judco forward clickie. The body is O-Ringed and Gasketed for weather-tightness. It is sized for two CR123 or one 18650 cell(s). "

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
lol wow thats pretty neat =]

i dont have a use for a bright colored flashlight though...

zven

Enlightened
I got that same e-mail, and it caught my attention as well. Truth is, I had very little desire to get an MD2, as I prefer the styling and features of the equivalent SureFire hosts. However, now that the MD2 is available in bright orange, I just might have to add it to my to-buy list. Only thing I wonder now is how well the coating holds up to everyday use and abuse.

Kudos to Malkoff Devices for venturing into this new territory!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Wow, that is orange!

I would love to see a Wildcat in that color! (sorry gene :p)

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
:huh: WHATS UP DOC? :huh:

Thanks for the heads-up, I just picked up my first Malkoff torch. (MD2 Carrot: Orange coat+M60w)

-Mayo:)

da.gee

Enlightened
:huh: WHATS UP DOC? :huh:

Thanks for the heads-up, I just picked up my first Malkoff torch. (MD2 Carrot: Orange coat+M60w)

-Mayo:)

Well duh! You're from Orange County. Got one too. My school colors are orange and black so I'm a big time sucker for orange things.

P.S. Please give all your positive vibes to the Oregon State University Beavers tonight as they battle their in-state rivals, The University of Oregon Ducks for a berth in The Rose Bowl. I am Orange!

BennyBeaver.jpg

Xak

Enlightened
Wow, a lens instead of a reflector. I'd love to see beamshots.

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well duh! You're from Orange County. Got one too. My school colors are orange and black so I'm a big time sucker for orange things.

P.S. Please give all your positive vibes to the Oregon State University Beavers tonight as they battle their in-state rivals, The University of Oregon Ducks for a berth in The Rose Bowl. I am Orange!

Haha, yeah I'd prefer the beavers over those green duck (yellow O) guys!:popcorn:

-Mayo

da.gee

Enlightened
My wife is a Duck so I have to watch myself. Fortunately my two boys are all Beaver so we outnumber her. Once breast feeding ended she lost her advantage and they were all mine!

One hour away.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got that same e-mail, and it caught my attention as well. Truth is, I had very little desire to get an MD2, as I prefer the styling and features of the equivalent SureFire hosts. However, now that the MD2 is available in bright orange, I just might have to add it to my to-buy list. Only thing I wonder now is how well the coating holds up to everyday use and abuse.

Kudos to Malkoff Devices for venturing into this new territory!

There was a thread here somewhere on using RIT dye to make yellow SFs into orange. IIRC, it works great but you have to make sure it is REALLY dry before you button it back up.

cfromc

Enlightened
There was a thread here somewhere on using RIT dye to make yellow SFs into orange. IIRC, it works great but you have to make sure it is REALLY dry before you button it back up.

I've done a few and it is very labor intensive. I have no plans to do any more because of the effort involved but I did keep a couple and like them a lot. If I didn't have them already I would seriously consider the orange MD2.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
How much does the orange Malkoff MD2 cost. The description says flashlight with M60, but if you click on buy, it comes up as body only, no light engine. So what would the light cost with the the two stage switch?

Bill

paintballdad

Enlightened
It's $70 for just the orange MD2 host. If you want the 2 stage ring without the M60 drop in, then just order the ring separately at $22.

zven

Enlightened

Yeah, I saw that thread (well, both the one where it was initially done, and the one about batteries leaking due to the not-thoroughly-dried dye). Definitely gave a unique and cool look to some of those lights, though I'd prefer not to have to worry about hazardous chemicals and potentially leaking batteries... (Sure would be great if SureFire offered their G2's and G3's in safety orange...)

But anyway, the thing that makes these orange MD2's so neat is it's orange-colored metal, not orange plastic. Can't say that I've seen many (any?) production orange metal lights out there. Maybe some limited run Mag 2xAA's? In any case, they're certainly not common, and if the quality/durability of this coating is up to snuff, then Mr. Malkoff has set himself apart from the pack yet again.

Eagerly awaiting the reviews...