eneloop gets to hot?

smokeychris

Newly Enlightened
Hi all i got a question. One of my 12 eneloop battery's is getting hotter then others. I have a 800 mah charger that charges 2 or 4 batterys at a time. I noticed that the eneloop in slot 3 gets almost to hot to hold so i took it out and waited for a day. Next day i put in back in this time in slot 1 and afer 15 minutes its getting hotter again then the other batterys. So is this normal? Or should i get in contact with the dealer where i got these eneloops. Or maybe is my charger broken i dont know. I hope you guys can help me out!:popcorn:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could provide more information, what type of eneloop ? actual brand and model of charger and so on. Where you purchaced from. age of the cell, any voltage tests , state of use or charge ?

you would know if it was a charger (or slot of the charger) issue if another cell of similar type had the same issue.
some chargers are just timed, so a battery WILL get hot when it is already charged and the charger keeps stuffing power into it.

if it is acting far worse (from your desciption) than the others then it could Be damaged, or could have gotten damaged, even before it was shipped to you.
it could also be a clone item.

to hot to HOLD and touch is to hot, so without a thermal device i would say your not yet "way to hot" or in fear of venting, but i know of no reason to keep such a battery that causes you problems or grief, or acts weird, just isnt worth it.

if it was discharged mostly and on the charger it gets to hot to touch, then that is a bad sign , but if it was alredy charged and is not to hot to touch that does not mean as much without more information.
if there is any denting of the cell item that you can see
If it does not hold a lot of power or hold power for time
then i would
send it back or just toss it and get somemore. if it was a clone item, then you may need more stuff to determine that.

Last edited:

smokeychris

Newly Enlightened
Ok i will try to charch it again and post here me finding such as voltage. My charger is this one: http://www.hape.nl/site/index.php?page=2&s=detail&qs=&c=2&p=33 It has a -delta volt cutoff. I dont know what type of eneloop i got i thought there was only one? I got 2000mah eneloops. Also i (hope) got original one's. I read the posts about fake ones and mine seems real. The code is on all eneloops : 09 -12MB. I will post some pictures this evening maybe tomorow.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
80 min charger with V-drop detection, yup other than when it is almost fully charged, it should not be getting really really hot.
but you should not really keep putting it back on the charger IF it is charged already.
one thing to do is discharge it (aka Use it) and see if it worked (generally) , then charge it again, about 30min into the charging see if it is hot THEN.

almost all of the chargers get a battery pretty hot right before it stops charging. if you happen to put your hand on it AT that moment, it can make me think "wow that is hot and wrong" but it could be about to stop.
if it did Not stop about 30 min later and it is still cooking, then that is very bad.

eneloop things come in AAAs too and there is talk of low capacity Cs and Ds , issues with AAA could differ.

followups are good, will be interested in what more you discover, even if i might not read it right away.

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all i got a question. One of my 12 eneloop battery's is getting hotter then others. I have a 800 mah charger that charges 2 or 4 batterys at a time. I noticed that the eneloop in slot 3 gets almost to hot to hold so i took it out and waited for a day. Next day i put in back in this time in slot 1 and afer 15 minutes its getting hotter again then the other batterys. So is this normal? Or should i get in contact with the dealer where i got these eneloops. Or maybe is my charger broken i dont know. I hope you guys can help me out!:popcorn:
In general, chargers that charge 2 or 4 batteries at a time are not recommended because they can't treat each battery individually. If you do use such a charger you always need to ensure that you insert identical pairs of batteries and that each battery to be charged is equally and fully discharged before starting. If you try to insert two batteries where one of them is more discharged than the other you will have problems.

You have not really said whether you are doing this. From your description it seems like you might be trying to charge an Eneloop that already has some charge on it, but if so what is the state of charge of the other Eneloop in the pair? When a cell gets hot during charging it basically means it is fully charged. You cannot put a fully charged cell alongside a less charged cell and attempt to charge both.

I suggest you individually discharge each Eneloop in a single cell light or something so that each one is fully discharged and then try the charging again. But the best option would be to get a charger that has four individual charging channels.

smokeychris

Newly Enlightened
Batterijchris2.jpg

BatterijChris3.jpg

BatterijChris.jpg

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luv the pics. everything about that battery picture looks like a real 100% true japan made eneloopy thing. . . from what i can tell.