Eneloop's safe in Waterproof lights??

yliu

Enlightened
Re: Eneloop gas venting?

I had 8 brand new, freshly charged eneloops in my TK45. Devided to do a runtine test, after 15 minutes I saw that the 2 switches were puffed, so I immeadetly stopped the test. There were no damage

ico

Enlightened
Re: Eneloop gas venting?

Can the eneloops still be used after they have vented out some air/hydrogen as someone said?

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eneloops not for waterproof lights?

Looked at the package for my new pack of Panasonic Eneloops (from Amazon, made in Japan) and it says, "Do not use in water proof flashlight or any device with an air tight battery compartment." Hmm, that would eliminate a lot of my use (flashlights, GPS...)

33737013301_4ba46eafc5_o.jpg

33737013381_c3d5927388_o.jpg

Last edited:

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Eneloops not for waterproof lights?

My new OralB electric toothbrush is water proof and sealed, and has a NIMH battery in it. Maybe Panasonic's legal dept. included that warning to protect themselves from a very rare event in which a sealed flashlight becomes a pipe bomb?

HKJ

Flashaholic

Looked at the package for my new pack of Panasonic Eneloops (from Amazon, made in Japan) and it says, "Do not use in water proof flashlight or any device with an air tight battery compartment." Hmm, that would eliminate a lot of my use (flashlights, GPS...)

All batteries has a pressure vent and for that reason must not be used in a air tight compartment. Most people (and manufacturers) ignore this.

Yamabushi

Enlightened

I have an old Princeton Tec headlamp that has a platinum catalyst in the battery compartment to safely remove any hydrogen by slow reaction with the oxygen in the compartment. I don't know if it could deal with a fast venting.