Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think that's true for all, I think they did the same thing as Duracell with the Pre-Charged. Some are made in Japan, and others are made in China. I have some 2300mAh ones that I got a couple months ago that were made in China. :(

Brian321

Enlightened
I was just at my local walmart and i saw the duracell with the white tops, The package said precharged, Are those the duraloops?

Are eneloops better than duraloops or are they about the same?

Thanks,
Brian

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, those are Duraloops if they are white-topped and Made in Japan (check battery, packaging is not always 100%). I'm pretty sure there aren't Made in China white tops, but double-check just to be sure.

They are the same, just rebadged (hence the name).

Thanol

Newly Enlightened
I don't think that's true for all, I think they did the same thing as Duracell with the Pre-Charged. Some are made in Japan, and others are made in China. I have some 2300mAh ones that I got a couple months ago that were made in China. :(
Hmmm... it could be old stock, but Energizer's older ni-mh lines (2450/2500) were switched to just being sourced from Sanyo rebranded 2300.

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
Yup, those are Duraloops if they are white-topped and Made in Japan (check battery, packaging is not always 100%). I'm pretty sure there aren't Made in China white tops, but double-check just to be sure.

They are the same, just rebadged (hence the name).

there are white top made in china duracell precharged.

Buck

Newly Enlightened
I wish I'd have gotten the 2300mAh Energizers instead of the 2500mAh cells. The 2500mAh Energizers I bought self discharged at an increadble rate.

I (or rather my SO with my help) abused several sets of 2500 energizers in a Radio Shack LCD TV and they DID NOT LIKE IT! About 1/4 of the cells after 50 cycles would not hold a charge for more than a couple of days. I haven't treated my Eneloops quite as badly, usually, but they support high power drains better AND show amazing cell-to-cell consistency in parallel recharging on my Lacrosse 900. Usually all 4 cells come off at about 5% variance or less, while other NiMN brands (Energizer and Lacrosse, and very old Maha) vary by 10% when new, and 20% or more after being used for a while (and left unused now and then for a couple of months).

The eneloops are just obviously made to be much more durable and to much higher standards than the "higher capacity" cells. I have something like 20 AAs and 12 AAAs and have yet to have one fail to maintain its rated capacity on the charger, and running in an electric shaver, you can HEAR the difference in power! It's significant, as you can see from the high current curves in Silver Fox's tests. Cheap means cheap, not better value, in most cases. Spend a few bucks more for eneloops. They're worth it! :drunk:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Ditto what others have said. I have had no complaints form either my duraloops or ROV 4.0 cells.

IMHO in moderate current draw applications the ROV 4.0 cells are ~90% as good overall as ene/duraloops at 1/2 -to- 1/3 the price. If you're running high current incans stick with the ene/duraloops.

Energizers.... I have read too many BAD things about them from too many people on too many different www boards for me to openly recommend them. Even though my 2450 cells have been OK, topping them off every 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Would these be comparable to Eneloops since they are made by Sanyo? I saw some of these at walmart while looking for duraloops. Thanks.

the energizer 2300s are not LSD cells but if you get a good batch they discharge slow enough that you can get about the same capacity as the LSD cells if used within a few weeks of charging I think.

fishinfool

Enlightened
the energizer 2300s are not LSD cells but if you get a good batch they discharge slow enough that you can get about the same capacity as the LSD cells if used within a few weeks of charging I think.

Thanks Lynx! I have some older energizer 2450mah's that don't last very long but these newer energizer 2300's are suppose to be a lot better that the 2450's. Of course none of these come close to my eneloops.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Thanks Lynx! I have some older energizer 2450mah's that don't last very long but these newer energizer 2300's are suppose to be a lot better that the 2450's. Of course none of these come close to my eneloops.

I have some old 2300s, I have them in a few things I use and have to recharge them every 3-4 months. For stuff you don't use a set of batteries up more than once every month the eneloops start making more sense but for stuff you use them up and recharge weekly they are more cost effective IMO. Save the LSD cells for items that you find with dead nimh in them from self discharge.

fishinfool

Enlightened
I use the energizers in remote controls and the eneloops in my flashlights and camera gear. I am now looking through DX at some 14500's and a charger.

Last edited:

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
Would these be comparable to Eneloops since they are made by Sanyo? I saw some of these at walmart while looking for duraloops. Thanks.

Just because it's made by Sanyo doesn't mean it's LSD - Low Self Discharge or "Eneloop." Does anyone know for sure whether Sanyo makes non-LSD NiMH batteries?

Note that "black top made in China" Duracell precharged, or Rayovac 4.0 batteries are only a little less good than Eneloops. They're much better than non-LSD NiMH batteries.

fishinfool

Enlightened
Even though they're not as good as eneloops i still have plenty of use for them. They're still better than alkalines right?

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
Even though they're not as good as eneloops i still have plenty of use for them. They're still better than alkalines right?

The main concerns would be:

1) High self discharge - How much capacity will they have left 1, 2, or more weeks after you charge them?

2) Lifetime - How quickly does the capacity decrease vs. time and number of cycles?